Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kid friendly Rock n Roll songs

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Kid friendly Rock n Roll songs

I agree with you on a lot of your points, Nancy. I have to say it's almost impossible to not find a problem with "hidden meanings" or at least perceived hidden meanings in so much popular music. I guess I've taken the attitude not to get to bent out of shape about stuff. Our radio was always on -so my kids probably heard things they shouldn't at times. I always thought it was better to just handle "situations" as they came up and try not to make a major case out of it. I answered their questions or corrected them situation by situation.

Peter used to hear lyrics in his own special Peter way. We used to crack up when we'd hear him singing "Do it like a lady" (Dude looks like a lady), "I got mud on my face-I dig this place" or my favorite "Felice la di da!"

But in my case, if I never wanted them to hear a cuss word ever ever -I would have had to ban them from their father who could and still does occasionally let one fly. I, of course, never do.

I just bought by godson (who is 6) an MP3 player this past Christmas. I managed to put about 100 songs on it. 1 year old is a lot different than 6-but here are some that might work:

Henry the VIII -Herman's Hermits
    International Harvester -Craig Morgan (my godson's fav it turns out-I think he likes the tractor sounds)
    The Unicorn (the Irish Rovers) -now, this one has religion written all over it -so take that into consideration
    Who Let the Dogs Out -Baha Men
    Splish Splash -Bobby Darin
    Centerfield-John Fogerty
    Sing-The Carpenters
    Lookin' Out My Back Door-Creedence (yeah, I know-but a 1 year old won't have a clue)
    ABC -Jackson 5
    R.O.C.K. in the USA -John Mellencamp
    I'm A Believer-Monkees
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love-Queen
    Blitzkrieg Pop-Ramones
    Wooly Bully and Little Red Riding Hood-Sam the Sham

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    ltlh--I'm the same. Shoot, when my son was 3, he often ran around singing Cat Scratch Fever by Terrible Ted or Big Balls by AC/DC. Bad parenting? Probably-
    Well, I don't think it's bad parenting. To me bad parenting is ignoring or abusing your kid. I don't consider music exposure bad! When my daughter was an infant... often, to calm her in the car I'd have to turn up the Chilli Pepper's, All Around the World, really loud.

I totally understand about someone else's kids though. I'm boring, I'd buy a Disney CD! LOL

I'm worried I'm coming off as judgmental. I know you folks are all good people and good parents who love your children, and that's what's important. Heck, I've met Willie's kids and I can tell you they are sweet as can be! I don't even have kids, after all, so what do I know?

I know you guys aren't like the parents I saw when I worked at the government program Head Start back in Texas for a few months. I saw parents come in and call their kids "stupid," "retarded," "fat," and "ugly" before my very eyes. So much for their self-esteem. I saw a four-year-old boy scream "F-CK YOU, BITCH" at a girl he was arguing with and slap her across the face before we could separate them. Where did he learn to scream profanities and hit women? That same boy tried to hit me when I took him to "time out" and I finally had to take him out of the classroom altogether. I remember one mom coming to pick up her son and she absolutely reeked of alcohol at 2:00 pm - slurred speech, you name it. We had to stop her from driving him home and threaten to call the police... it got ugly. It upsets me to this day to think about it... and I didn't even see the worst of it, I'm sure. I can only imagine having a job where you deal with that every day. That takes a strong person.

THOSE are bad parents. Letting a kid listen to "Big Balls" and occasionally cursing in front of them doesn't even compare.

I still wouldn't call the song kid-friendly though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

You're not being judgemental, Nancy. And, you certainly have a right to your opinion -kids or not.

I suppose a lot of parents have these wonderful ideas on how they're going to do everything right and raise these wonderful little perfect kids. Then, the real world steps in and no matter how hard you try -negative stuff touches them. These days-you'd have to keep them in a bubble the bad stuff is everywhere. I commend your parents for their efforts. It's hard and it's time-consuming to parent like that. Besides, look how wonderful you turned out!

When Tom was a toddler, I announced that he was not going to have toy guns. No how. No way. Steve sort of nodded and let that be my call (not sure he really agreed with me, though).

Then, one day when he was about 3 -I looked out the kitchen window and saw him running thru the backyard with 2 neighbor boys (who did have toy guns). Tom was using the dog's rubber porkchop as his gun.

Ah, the best laid plans!

Stuck on the Border

A couple of other suggestions for kid friendly songs from a book called The Rough Guide Book of Playlists:

Hello Goodbye - Beatles - 'gentle introduction to the concept of opposites by a group which lays out the fundamental building blocks of rock'n'roll' (sentiments shared entirely by me). Yellow Submarine is also there, of course. Octopus's Garden isn't but should be.

Magic Bus - The Who - 'the exchange 'I want it/You can't have it' gets kids where they live'.

The book agrees with Molly about Lookin' Out My Back Door and about
    I'm A Believer (although the Smash Mouth version of this from Shrek is also very kid-friendly)

Mr Spaceman - Byrds 'opens up the possibility of a rock'n'roll universe'.

Changes - David Bowie - because many Bowie songs have a singalong quality to them. I think even Jean Genie and Rebel Rebel would work for kids.

Get It On - T. Rex - it's very catchy but presumably the kids would ignore the innuendo. Otherwise why not go straight to Zep's Trampled Underfoot!

I would also add Dylan's The Mighty Qunnn (Quinn The Eskimo)
    My Sweet Lord - George Harrison (a singalong introduction to spirituality)
    Rocket Man - Elton John (outer space again)

I know when I have music playing in the car and Rosalind asks what the song is then she tends to like it. Her favourite Eagles song is probably Heartache Tonight. I must ask her to tell me which other ones she likes.

I am a little pickier on what my kids listen to...

this is extreme, I know, but a couple of years ago I listened to every song on my then 11 year old's mp3 player...the songs I didn't know I printed out the lyrics and I was SHOCKED at some of the filth she was listening to! I had always been very strict about the music I allowed, but hadn't realized what she was hearing at school and was then downloading - to her credit, she didn't understand the lyrics - she was doing it just because the song was popular...I had to sit her down, read the lyrics and explain them . I won't even go into the things I had to explain other than to say it was mostly slang about a girl losing her virginity, drugs, rape, the "F" bomb - omg-sh!!

Clearly, I would rather her listen to the Eagles anyday!! This was current music I had to put a stop to - IF (and that's a BIG IF) it can be called music...the music of the 70's and 80's, for the most part, i would allow...

My daughter is 14 now and LOVES country music - but even there, I have banned some songs due more to the attitude of the song (before he cheats) than the actual words...but we still go over the lyrics together and I softened to where I let her decide if it's appropriate (um, for the most part! I'm still her mom!) But I've noticed that she usually makes good choices...so I'll be there to guide her (not shove her) while I can...

~Tonja~

Quote Originally Posted by anne-o-gg View Post
    I am a little pickier on what my kids listen to...

this is extreme, I know, but a couple of years ago I listened to every song on my then 11 year old's mp3 player...the songs I didn't know I printed out the lyrics and I was SHOCKED at some of the filth she was listening to! I had always been very strict about the music I allowed, but hadn't realized what she was hearing at school and was then downloading - to her credit, she didn't understand the lyrics - she was doing it just because the song was popular...I had to sit her down, read the lyrics and explain them . I won't even go into the things I had to explain other than to say it was mostly slang about a girl losing her virginity, drugs, rape, the "F" bomb - omg-sh!!

Clearly, I would rather her listen to the Eagles anyday!! This was current music I had to put a stop to - IF (and that's a BIG IF) it can be called music...the music of the 70's and 80's, for the most part, i would allow...

My daughter is 14 now and LOVES country music - but even there, I have banned some songs due more to the attitude of the song (before he cheats) than the actual words...but we still go over the lyrics together and I softened to where I let her decide if it's appropriate (um, for the most part! I'm still her mom!) But I've noticed that she usually makes good choices...so I'll be there to guide her (not shove her) while I can...
    I think Censorship is wrong and that kids should be allowed to listen to what they want.

Then it's a good thing they're my kids... I'm the one who will have to answer for how they are raised.

~Tonja~

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Since I know this is getting off track I'll be brief. When our son was small we would be careful what we listened to, what we watched on tv and our language. It took him a week in public school to come cussing like a drunk sailor. He really didn't have any concept what he was saying he just heard it from the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I think Censorship is wrong and that kids should be allowed to listen to what they want.

Spoken by a true kid.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.