Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kid friendly Rock n Roll songs

Default Re: Kid friendly Rock n Roll songs

I have no children, however I work daily with them.
    What some children for music heard, I canīt understand.
    What for words used in some songs is simply nothing for children!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    "Woops, There Goes Another Rubber Tree Plant"

"Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" evolution <LOL>
    My kids LOVED these songs (mostly thanks to Barney!)

~Tonja~

LOL, Mike. I loved some of those songs as a child (and I'm not that much younger than you)!

Stuck on the Border

I had no idea anyone in the US would even have heard of Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport. Of course I grew up with it but it did have a rather politically incorrect verse which Rolf Harris no longer sings.

Speaking of Australian songs, I think Men At Work's Down Under is very appropriate for kids, especially the 'Vegemite sandwich' part. Another good one is Split Enz' Six Months In A Leaky Boat. It tells a history lesson (mainly about New Zealand) but is also very catchy.

'Rubber Tree Plant' is Frank Sinatra's High Hopes, and that is another song I grew up with.

I was listening to Paul Simon's Was A Sunny Day earlier and I think that would appeal to kids. I would also add One Love by Bob Marley.

I'm a late-comer to this discussion, but I've got a completely different bent on it. I'd like to promote a duo known as Trout Fishing in America, who have been together producing family music for 22 years, and are awesome! I came across them when my kids were small, and followed them for a number of years (even as far as 1 1/2 hours away to see them in concert...with toddlers, as well as when the kids were older!) I still enjoy their adult-oriented music today, although it's been awhile since I've seen them in concert. They have a number of CD's out--you can find them on their website www.troutmusic.com, as well as in Borders and Barnes & Noble.

Ezra is 6'9" tall and plays guitar, and Keith is 5'5" and plays bass. Right away you can tell that humor is part and parcel of what they do. But their music is much more than that...the two of them are both lyrically creative and musically sophisticated. Their blend of folk/pop has diverse influences of reggae, latin, blues, jazz, country, and classical music. They have won multiple National Indie Awards, Parents Choice Awards, and American Library Awards; as well as 4 Grammy nominations. The June 2008 Performing Songwriter Magazine named them as one of the Top 100 Most Influential Independent Artists in the past 15 years...between Phish and Widespread Panic...also in the company of Willie Nelson, Jack Johnson, David Byrne, Tom Waits, Alison Krauss, and Jimmy Buffett.

We have three of their older children's CD's that I love: My World (two of my favorite songs, "My Hair Had a Party Last Night" and "Baby's Got the Car Keys"), Big Trouble (which contains many of the staples they do live in concert), and Infinity. However, my absolute favorite CD is one of the adult ones, Closer to the Truth. This CD has so many fantastic beautiful songs, I would highly recommend it to anyone here. Actually, given what I have learned from "The Greatest Band Thread," I think PM's musical taste most closely matches mine...so my bet is that Cathy would really enjoy this CD.

ETA: The bass that Keith plays is the bass cello!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 08-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks Eva for the suggestion. Just checked them out on YouTube. Just looking at them cracked me up because they look like Mutt & Jeff (just dated myself a bit there didn't I?). I sent my niece an email with a link to a couple of the videos for her to check out.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Actually, given what I have learned from "The Greatest Band Thread," I think PM's musical taste most closely matches mine...so my bet is that Cathy would really enjoy this CD.
    Well now I have to check them out! Thanks EV.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Thanks Eva for the suggestion. Just checked them out on YouTube. Just looking at them cracked me up because they look like Mutt & Jeff (just dated myself a bit there didn't I?). I sent my niece an email with a link to a couple of the videos for her to check out.
    They are hilarious as well as talented in concert, and they tour all over the country. They began 22 years ago in Texas (in Houston, baby), and now hail from Arkansas...but they tour just about everywhere in the US and Canada. If she becomes hooked as I did, she should definitely bring her kids to see them when they are a little bit older!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Well now I have to check them out! Thanks EV.
    I only have heard one of their adult CD's, Closer to the Truth, but there are so many good songs on it! A few of my favorites are: Dreaming, Old Things, After You've Gone, Closer to the Truth, Alberta Postcard, Almost September, The Sun the Moon the Stars. Enjoy!
    ~Eva~

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've been meaning to tell you about this and my niece was telling me about this again this morning when she dropped her daughter off.

Remember when I started this thread and why? Well the cd's were a huge hit with my 1 1/2 year old great niece. She is loving them. She has 2 favorite songs on them and continuously wants them played while she dances around. One is Mickey by Toni Basil (oh Mickey you're so fine....) and the other one is Sh Boom by Timothy!! Every morning she runs over to her little pink cd player and yells "Sh Boom, Sh Boom" and pushes the button. Whenever they go anywhere any more, they have to take the cd with them and she wants it played over and over and over. I'm so proud!!! Her Mom also because she told me last week that she loves Ballroom Blitz and Little Willy and wants me to make her a Sweet cd because she's really loving them. I'm doing such a great job with these kids!
    He sings it high, he plays it low