Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Harry

Default Let's Get Harry

A discussion was started about this movie in the Frey Fever thread and I thought I'd start a new thread about it.

I never thought it was that bad, especially comparing it to some of the awful movies I've been unfortunate enough to see.

Nowadays, you have to get it as a used VHS tape from places like Ebay, although if you want to see some clips you can do so here:
    http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/...tsgetharry.htm

It was the only movie in which Glenn stars. I wonder if its bad reception turned him off from feature films (although he obviously kept doing TV). I get the impression that his role in Jerry Maguire was just for a lark and not intended to be a reigniting of his acting career. I could be wrong, of course.

Any thoughts about this from those who've seen it, or even those who haven't?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Frey Fever: The Glenn Frey Photo Thread

Both the picture and the sidebar are gorgeous. I LOVE that chest,

I know there are clips on the site but anybody know where I could get the movie in it entirety? Thanks
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

anybody know where I could get the movie in it entirety?
    I got mine through Amazon. It wasn't from them directly, it was from one of the independent sellers that sell through them. It was a used copy of a rental tape which, I believe, is all that is avalable now. There were a number of sellers offering it so you should still be able to pick up a copy. Other than the cover being a bit worn, it was in excellent condition. No problem with the tape itself. I just got it a few months ago. I think it cost me about $5 American. The shipping was as much as the movie !

For the record, I didn't think it was a bad movie, just not my kind of movie, although, having said that- anything with Glenn in it is "my kind of movie", LOL!

I just checked on Amazon.com. They currently have 15 copies available, from independent sellers, starting @ $3 US & most of them ship internationally. All but one is used.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Let's Get Harry

I thought Glenn looked the most uncomfortable that I have ever seen him. There really is not much to say about his acting because he didn't have very much to do except display that white shirt. The lighting was so murky that you couldn't see what was going on half the time. The plot was barely believable - I am afraid that 'heroic rescue' movies are not my thing. Robert Duvall's performance was OK.

I actually went to SEE it in the cinema during its triumphant two week run, and then it was shown on primetime television so I taped it. I have not watched it for a very long time. I feel that everybody makes mistakes and this, unfortunately, was Glenn's biggest.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, I don't definitely remember, but I think I got mine on Amazon too. IMO, if you can get this for a few dollars, it is certainly worth it.

Now, I have to say that I totally disagree with FP's assessment here. While I will acknowledge that the movie is not academy award material, I found it to be an enjoyable "action" film nonetheless. To me, a plot does not have to necessarily always be provocative or cerebral to be entertaining. As far as Glenn's acting, I actually think he held his own against some really fine actors such as Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, and Mark Harmon.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Worth a try thanks everyone. I'll go to Amazon. I'm used to P&P being more than the value of my purchases. Comes with living on an Island!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

As far as Glenn's acting, I actually think he held his own against some really fine actors such as Robert Duvall, Gary Busey, and Mark Harmon
    I agree, Dreamer. It's just that he didn't have a large part & I don't think that his character was supposed to be a dominant or dynamic one, by any means. I think he played it a it was intended.

I have only watched it once, as I said it wasn't my type of movie & I hven't had it that long. I wanted to watch it again to refresh my memory for this discussion. Wouldn't you know, part of the entertainment system in our living room, where the VCR was hooked up, went on the fritz & my husband has spent most of the day trying to hook up extra components that we had, to replace the malfunctioning one. Unfortunately, there won't be room for a VCR in our entertainment centre now as the other component is larger. (I don't dare tell him yet that I want a VCR hooked up elsewhere in the house so that I can rewatch Glenn's movie). He's already upset with me for spending so much time "On The Border".) I'll have to wait until he figures out how to connect the new components properly & he is in a better mood, or when I have the time to do it myself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GL - Hope you get that VCR hooked up soon. Also, sorry hubby is cranky about your Border time. Too bad that he doesn't realize that when the wife is happy, then the hubby is happy!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Another thing worth commenting on is that the director, Stuart Rosenberg (of Cool Hand Luke fame) had his name removed from the credits, so this film is an Alan Smithee film (Alan Smithee is the psuedonym used in cases like this). So I wasn't the only one who thought it was mediocre at best. I don't know if I would like it better if I were to sit through it again.

However I have changed my mind regarding that photo and now feel I should save it for... historical reasons.

In terms of what it was like I never get the chance to use smileys like this so here they are!