Thread: Early Computer Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default Early Computer Games

Oooh, I like Hotel Oregon. We could tribute the Oregon Trail computer game.

"Wife died of cholera...tried to ford the river, and my damn oxen drowned!"

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Ooooh, Oregon Trail! I remember that game!

When I was in third grade (1983), our elementary school was experimenting with using computers in education. Oregon Trail was one of the first "learning-oriented computer games" out there, so the school got a copy and chose two people - one boy and one girl - out of every grade to experiment on, lol. For some reason, I was selected for the third grade level (guess my attraction to computers started early!) I got to leave class for one hour once a week to play the game with the other "test subjects" lol. I felt so lucky! (Guess the test went well, as it soon became commonplace.)

At the time, the game looked like this:

Wow, I feel old.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

We had a remarkably similar experience! Only the top six math students in the class were allowed to play, on one of those giant old Macs the color of applesauce. The screen was only green and black, just like your cap! Now they have version 2 or something with colors and whatnot... Anyway, we'd be playing, and some smartalec would holler over my shoulder when my oxen drowned, "Should've taken that left at Alberquerque!" Okay, thank you Chuck Jones. Glad someone else appreciates that game! Truly a cornerstone of my childhood.

Seeing as this is a H&H thread... of all the aspects of the book that grated me, the absolute epitome was one of his closing statements, offered as part of a laundry list: "...I have the love of a good woman..."

Really? In the continuing theme of women being possessions... At least Henley has the sense to say things like "I didn't know it then, but the universe was just leading me to Sharon...."

"A good woman"! Did someone just order a Victorian, straight up?