Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Soul Searchin"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Soul Searchin"

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Chaim, what a fascinating comparison between I Did It For Your Love and Wasted Time. I absolutely love sudden chord changes. I don't know if it qualifies but there is a similar moment in A Walk In The Dark when he sings 'this is the way I want to dance with you'. He seems to be very good at this.
    There were a couple of errors in my comment; one fatal one. "Usual" should have been "UNusual". I changed it...
    I remember someone bringing up that "Walk in the dark" bit at some point. It might have been you. I just listened to the song. What a great song! I've always liked it. It really SOUNDS like you're in the park in the dark. The chords in that bit you mentioned are the same as in the first verse, and the first chord, basically F sharp minor (one, sometimes two notes added), is the first chord also in the chorus (on the word "Let's). The second chord is in the chorus too (during the words "dark" and "park"). But here in the verse the bass stays on the F sharp when the chord changes, so it has a different feeling. So those chords have been heard many times already in the song (intro, first firse, chorus), but I agree that STILL Glenn manages to make it magical sounding, like the chord appeared for the first time!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very interesting, chaim. Unfortunately, I am totally lost on this kind of stuff. The only thing I know about music is what my ears tell me. I envy folks like you that know this stuff cause I can't tell one chord from the other.

I'm not sure about Working Man and Common Ground having the same theme, though, Dreamer. Working Man tells a fairly specific story while Common Ground is far more universal in its content.
    FP, guess I wasn't very clear on this. I simply meant that the two songs have a similar theme, not exactly the same theme. Their "common man" theme just remind me of each other, that's all.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Very interesting, chaim. Unfortunately, I am totally lost on this kind of stuff. The only thing I know about music is what my ears tell me. I envy folks like you that know this stuff cause I can't tell one chord from the other.

FP, guess I wasn't very clear on this. I simply meant that the two songs have a similar theme, not exactly the same theme. Their "common man" theme just remind me of each other, that's all.
    I actually often feel a bit stupid when I write about chords in forums, because not everyone is going to know what I'm talking about! But there's nothing fancy there really. It seems that everyone who plays guitar or piano in the pop world has an obsession with chords and how they make them feel!

Stuck on the Border

I also think it was interesting that you said that Two Hearts is 'great musically' because you may have noticed it isn't a favourite of many of us. I think its lyric is too slight.

Dreamer, I can see that 'common man' thread in WM and CG now. Glenn Springsteen!

Stuck on the Border

I also think it was interesting that you said that Two Hearts is 'great musically' because you may have noticed it isn't a favourite of many of us. I think its lyric is too slight.
    I've never really paid attention to the lyrics in this song, but I've always enjoyed it musically, both the verse and the chorus. I also love the three or four chords before the guitar solo starts (if I remember correctly). I seem to remember there are some ascending chords there. Really catchy.

Added MUCH later:

Perhaps the word "great" was a bit too off-the-cuff when I mentioned "Two hearts". I've always thought that it's a catchy and lovely little pop tune, in which I enjoy the "teen sound". I find Sodascouts' comment about the verse melody interesting, because I had never even realized how simple the verse melody is! I guess when I'm totally "into it", enjoying the "groove" and the vocal performance, a simple melody works for me. Often a one- or two-line melody works when the chords keep changing underneath, like in "I am the walrus" by the Beatles. In the "Two hearts" verse the chords hardly change, so it must be the "groove" and Glenn's vocal performance that does it for me there.
    Last edited by chaim; 08-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I hadn't read the previous comments thoroughly before I wrote my own. I just noticed that Sodascouts had already described perfectly how I feel about "It's your life". Especially the lyric.

Happy birthday to Glenn's third album, Soul Searchin', released on this day in 1988!

Here's one of the album's singles, "True Love":

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2vR7wMuIU[/ame]

Love the full stop, then "rev it up" moment on this song at 3:25.

That also happens to be the moment the girl in the video lives a female Frey fan fantasy! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

HAPPY 23rd ANNIVERSARY SOUL SEARCHIN'!!!

Okay, we tried this a few weeks ago on the anniversary of Timothy’s Tell Me the Truth album, so I thought we’d try it again since today we celebrate the anniversary of the release of Glenn’s Soul Searchin’ album.

Again, I’ll review how this will work. This isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll I guess with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs on the album and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined results.

I’ll calculate the lists like this. If there are 10 songs on the album, I’ll assign a point value of 10 points to the song that each person lists in 1st place, 9 points for the 2nd place song, and so on until the last place song gets 1 point as follows:

Song 1 – 10 points
    Song 2 – 9 points
    Song 3 – 8 points
    Song 4 – 7 points
    Song 5 – 6 points
    Song 6 – 5 points
    Song 7 – 4 points
    Song 8 – 3 points
    Song 9 – 2 points
    Song 10 – 1 point

For example, Person A puts the song ‘ABC’ in 3rd place so it gets 8 points; Person B puts ‘ABC’ in 5th place so it gets 6 points; and Person C puts ‘ABC’ in 6th place so it gets 5 points. So all total, the song ‘ABC’ gets 19 points. Then, Person A puts the song ‘XYZ’ in 1st place so it gets 10 points; Person B puts ‘XYZ’ in 4th place so it gets 7 points; and Person C puts ‘XYZ’ in 2nd place so it gets 9 points. So all total, the song ‘XYZ’ gets 26 points. Of course, if the album has 12 songs, then Song 1 receives 12 points.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores. So here we go – the songs for the Soul Searchin’ album are as follows:

Livin' Right
    Some Kind Of Blue
    True Love
    Can't Put Out This Fire
    I Did It For Your Love
    Let's Pretend We're Still In Love
    Working Man
    Soul Searchin'
    Two Hearts
    It's Your Life

Now, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Okay - I’ll start this off. Here is my list:

1. Soul Searchin’
    2. True Love
    3. I Did It For Your Love
    4. Working Man
    5. Can’t Put Out the Fire
    6. Livin’ Right