Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Soul Searchin"

Default Re: Celebration of "Soul Searchin"

So lovely that it helped you in a time of trouble, GEF. That's the hallmark of good music.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That's wonderful, GEF!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

That's way too cool Kate. I love It's Your Life too. Love it!!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOUL SEARCHIN'!

Glenn's third solo album turns 26 today.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 26th Birthday, Soul Searchin'

Soda. What video is your avatar from?

Stuck on the Border

I'm doing my homework. The CD is in the car and I've listened to about half of it this morning. Overall, it's a bit too "pop" for my tastes. Too much sugar.

I was thinking of the timeline for this album. I read that Glenn and Jack Tempchin were working on songs for it when Glenn was filming "Let's Get Harry" in Mexico (1985). Then Glenn toured in Japan (1986), got divorced (1986?), got hospitalised (when was the benefit where he sent a message from his hospital bed?), cleaned up and got fit and maybe did a few other things.

"Working Man" was written for "Let's Get Harry" so that has to be one of the earlier ones (85/86) . "Livin' Right" is a late entry and I'd guess "Soul Searchin' comes after the divorce. Then there are three break-up songs, "Baby let's have another go" (LPWSIL), "I can't believe it's over" (CPOTF) and "It's over and I'm sad" (SKOB).

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Happy Birthday, Soul Searchin'!

I'll try to get time to play it in the next few days!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I guess "It's Your Life" is another break-up song and then if you go to the Japanese CD, there's yet another with "It's Cold in Here", so that's 4/5 out of 10/11 songs. They may not be strictly autobiographical, but it seems that Glenn and Jack were exlploring a theme.

Love it:

True Love - it manages to lodge itself in my brain. It may be simple, but it just works and it cheers me up.

It's Cold in Here - is that allowed? I can't help it, I just like Glenn in this jokey, macho man role. "Dinner reservations at the Quiche Lorraine" is my favourite line because it paints a picture of this beer-swigging lout in a rather precious faux-french restaurant.

Like it:

Soul Searchin'
    Two Hearts
    Some Kind of Love
    - particularly the percussion

Don't Mind:

Livin' Right - I tend to think of this as more of a novelty record. That must come from watching the video.
    Working Man - I prefer the slower version, though
    It's Your Life
    Can't Put Out This Fire
    - bit of a mismatch between the music and the lyrics

Not keen:

I Did It For Your Love - rather slow and plodding and I don't like the percussion.

Don't Like:

Let's Pretend We're Still in Love

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Happy 26th Birthday, Soul Searchin'

Soda. What video is your avatar from?
    I'm sure Soda won't mind if I tell you it's Some Kind Of Blue. I actually SAW Glenn sing this song at Niagara Falls in 2011. It was amazing to see something so rare. Those two nights were just full of surprises.

I was very hard on this album for many years because as UTW says I found a lot of it very lightweight. But there are some songs which have grown in stature & deepened with time; Working Man & I Did It For Your Love, and It's Your Life to a lesser extent, but I still think that song 'tries too hard'.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO SOUL SEARCHIN'!!!

And UTW, I enjoyed reading your impressions of the album. For me, this is definitely not my favorite of Glenn's solo albums, and while it is a bit uneven, I still rate it above average. And re: I Did It for Your Love, I used to think it was just okay, but then one day out of nowhere, I suddenly had an epiphany. Here's what I wrote about it earlier in this thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by ive always been a dreamer
    I Did It for Your Love -This is my favorite ballad on the album. Although I always liked this song, I never really loved it. I thought it was pleasant, but a tad bit bland. Then all of a sudden one day, for some unexplained reason, it touched something in me out of nowhere. The song just blew me away, and now I absolutely love it. It is very poignant and simply beautiful and I love the lines “I waited by the shore; just for one glimpse of you, nothing more.” I always thought the line “Somehow I knew you would understand” was meant as a wishful thinking thing since, obviously, she didn’t. The only problem with this song is that I want to know what he did! Since this song was apparently written for the movie “An American Murder”, I’m thinking what he did might not have been too good. Maybe if I actually watched the movie, I might be enlightened.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016