Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Soul Searchin"

Banned

Default Re: Celebration of "Soul Searchin"

I just happened to be glancing at the inner sleeve of Soul Searching and I noticed that Glenn plays the majority of the instruments. On True Love and Working Man he's even credited as the drummer.

I've never seen Glenn play the drums. I think maybe he just programmed a drum machine.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I imagine that is possible. However, since I know absolutely nothing about these things, maybe some of our skilled musicians can answer this for me. Is it customary to give credit to an artist for drumming on a recording if a drum machine is used exclusively?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

On "No Fun Aloud", there are two tracks where they used a Linn drum machine and neither track has a credit for drums.

Thanks for checking that out UTW. Maybe he did actually play drums on the Soul Searchin' tracks then.

Banned

Besides True Love and Working Man ("originally written for the ill-fated feature film "Let's Get Harry") in-which Glenn plays drums, there is a third track, Some Kind Of Blue, where both Glenn and John Robinson, share the Drums credits.

Glenn's paragraph under the title reads;

I always wanted to do a song with no snare drum, just hand claps and finger snaps. As soon as I wrote the drum program, the song came in and wrote itself.
    To complicate matters further, Glenn also gives himself a percussion credit 0n the song.

Stuck on the Border

The key words there are 'drum program'. This implies that he didn't actually sit at a drum kit.

The reference to writing the drum program is a comment in the liner notes for SKOB. However, he is also listed for drums in the song credits. I assumed that he did actually play the drums, particularly since he doesn't credit himself for the drum machines on No Fun Aloud. He did most of the instrumentation in lot of his solo songs.

Stuck on the Border

I agree that it should read "drum programming" if he didn't actually play a kit. I don't think he did, and even some of his bass credits could refer to a keyboard bass.

I listened to this album a few days ago after a long break. I have mixed feelings about it. There are tracks that are up there with anything Eagles has done. I Did It For Your Love is amazing - one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard in my life - and I'll never understand why there's never been any fuss about it. The title track and It's Your Life are amazing too. Then there are songs that are ok, but nothing special, like True Love.

I noticed something interesting about this album now that I listened to it again. There are songs that I don't care for when I think about them, but when I actually listen to them, there are some really lovely moments (CPOTF & LPWSIL). Jack's dull guitar "riff" in CPOTF had been used many times before (see ELO's "So Fine" for example). But when it gets to the pre-chorus, it's lovely! LPWSIL has a very common/dull chord hook, but it has lovely moments, too. The ending is BEAUTIFUL. I think this song should be a bit slower.

Livin' Right works, because it's a bit humorous lyrically. I still love Two Hearts, which most people around here hate.

Perhaps the production on this album is more dull and flat than the song material. There could be more "punch" on the drums and stuff. A rocker like Working Man could do with more "punch" and more organic sound.

Also, Glenn's lead guitar playing could be more imaginative, like it was on the Eagles stuff - especially Too Many Hands! His leads on his solo material tend to be very safe and too comfortable and smooth rhythmically. Check out the first few phrases in the Two Hearts solo. Hard to believe it's the same guy who played some very interesting things on the Eagles albums - especially from Eagles to One Of These Nights. There were a lot of not-so-obvious note choices back then. I feel that as a lead guitar player he got a bit lazy at some point - in terms of constructing a solo and searching for something interesting.

Incidentally, it's very Glenn to throw in an extra phrase after sentences in his songs. Usually it's "me and you"

Just remember you will always be my girl - you're my girl

I still keep dreamin' 'bout me and you - me and you

You're part of me and I am part of you - part of you

I'm feeling things I swear I've never felt before - yes I am, baby

But now I realize this world was made for two - like me and you

Tonight, they're gonna do what must be done - what must be done
    Last edited by chaim; 12-30-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Glenn plays bass. I've seen it mentioned by Glenn, Timothy and Jack Tempchin. He even had a "signature" bass guitar.

Glenn has also said that he uses a drum machine at the start and then usually replaces it later with real drums. I haven't seen him mention playing the drums himself, though.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Glenn plays bass. I've seen it mentioned by Glenn, Timothy and Jack Tempchin. He even had a "signature" bass guitar.

Glenn has also said that he uses a drum machine at the start and then usually replaces it later with real drums. I haven't seen him mention playing the drums himself, though.
    It's just that some of those bass parts sound like a keyboard to me (Working Man, and perhaps True Love). But of course it can be a combination of both. But then again, at the moment I listen to music with an exceptionally poor "sound system", so I can "hear" something that isn't even there.