Just adding a little to the 'atheist' discussion... From what I can remember, Don has never said he doesn't believe in God - he just remains cynical. I think that is more to do with organised religion and the faults he sees in it. I have heard him state that he lost a lot of faith in a higher being when his father died. The traditional church upbringing didn't satisfy him anymore - it didn't answer his questions. The impression I get is that, perhaps like many of us, he would like to believe in God, but is, or has been, disillusioned with the whole idea of religion. There is an interview that took place in Caddo Lake, in the early '90s, during which Don is asked whether he believes that his father can see him now (or words to that effect.) Don thinks about it and says, "On a good day." He's not entirely dismissive of the idea of a higher power, I don't think, but neither is he a firm believer.

I would also recommend watching this video. If not for Don's mentions of 'divinity in nature', then for his husky voice, his weathered hat and his delicious stubble. Off to dreamland again...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A164rFlmNF0[/ame]