Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "I Can't Stand Still"

Default Re: Celebration of "I Can't Stand Still"

I love all of his albums/CDs, but overall "I Can't Stand Still" is my favorite. There isn't a song on it that isn't compelling. I know that Don felt let down by it's sales which were good, but not indicative of the quality of the music. He blamed people not being ready to face the reality of "Johnny Can't Read" and the decision to release it as the first single as well as it being under marketed by his label. I think that is probably spot on, but it is an under appreciated body of work(by the masses-not those that are in "Henley Heaven").
    "Leave me be, I'm just walkin' this line!"

"Johnny Can't Read" being the lead single, and the only one for which a video was made despite the success of "Dirty Laundry", is inexplicable to me. It is one of the weakest songs on the album. Imagine if "Dirty Laundry" had given the video treatment - it might have risen even higher than #3 - or one of the magnificent ballads had been made a single.

Shun - you MUST get a copy of this album!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You guys are convincing me. I will get it. I really don't like Building the Perfect Beast album(only a few songs I like on there and that's usually the song I already knew) and I was afraid I wouldn't like I Can't Stand Still. That's why I've been holding off getting it.

PS You also might want to look back over this thread (although it would take some time). It's one of the best album appreciation threads we have, I think, because we dove deep!

I love that newer members are adding insights, too. Keep it up, everybody!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I've only recently got this album and have to say I love it especially the ballads where Don is always at his best!!

I particularly love La Eile (this is my ringtone at the moment ) and Lilah - wow that song is amazing, its so heartfelt. I've always loved the Uilleann pipes and the Chieftans and they really add to the song.

Can't understand why Johnny can't read was the lead single though as Dirty Laundry would have been so much better.

I also love I can't stand still - its so unDon like but it works in an odd way

The song I Can't Stand Still has Don jealous, I find that sexy

Happy anniversary to this album, I think it's my favorite but I go back and forth, I love all his albums.
    ~Sara

I guess that makes me the new kid in an old town. I bought "I Can't Stand Still" during the year it came out, and I think I took a few months to decide what I thought of the changes in music that Don Henley introduced to his material then.
    I realized that a solo direction gave Don the opportunity to express some of his roots.
    Last edited by Lisa; 08-15-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Happy 33rd Birthday to Don's very first solo album, I Can't Stand Still.

I listen to this album for the first time last month and I love. Great songs on there. I usually hear of course Dirty Laundry, You Better Hang Up and The Uncloudy Day.

A great album that is underrated.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I have this album on vinyl, but I've yet to listen to it in full. Unlike Glenn's No Fun Aloud, I Can't Stand Still is available on Spotify, so I don't have an excuse for not listening to it yet.

That being said, I love Dirty Laundry. When I listened to it for what I thought was the first time back in May, I realized that I knew the song from my childhood, especially the "kick 'em when they're up, kuck 'em when they're down" part.

I also like Johnny Can't Read. (I'm in the minority here, I believe). As a member of this current generation, that song speaks volumes. I know that some people think that it's too harsh, but to me, it reminds me of the sad reality of some of my school years and my classmates. I went to one of the poorest public schools in the state, and suffice it to say that some of my classmates were like Johnny. I'm just glad that I managed to escape that.

Lilah is also a great song. Unfortunately, those are the only 3 songs that I'm familiar with right now.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Dirty Laundry told it like it was, and still is.