Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Les Paul

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: RIP Les Paul

I've been away for a bit and didn't realize that Les Paul had passed until I read the board this morning. He was a real genius and changed music forever. He will definitely be missed. RIP Les Paul.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I saw a new Custom Shop Les Paul that Gibson is selling for $25,000...it's signed by Billy Gibbons of ZZ-Top. That same model without the signature is around $14,000 and the Low-end of that line is going for around $11,000. I looked at these a couple of days ago and am pulling the prices from memory.

A "normal" Les Paul Standard sells for $1,800 to around $2,400. A 1959 replica version sells for around $6,000. These never were "cheap" instruments!

The Studio version sells from $800 to around $1,300. The Studio is the same guitar as the Standard, pretty much, except for the frills like bindings and inlays on the fretboard. Same electronics and same blueprint. It is called a Studio because all the artist is interested in is it's tonal qualities....no need for all the glitz and glamor of a sunburst with all the fancy bindings.

Dear Santa...I could live with a no-frills Studio!

MikeA

This link was posted somewhere else, but I thought it might be best archived here. It does have a segment about 7 minutes into the CBS video commerating Les Paul about some of Joe Walsh's LPs.

Click Here for the CBS broadcast

MikeA

Thanks Mike and thanks to Brooke and AZ for pointing it out. That was great!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.