Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley v. DeVore

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Henley v. DeVore

Agreed, NB.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Here's the thing though... DeVore obviously doesn't believe he's doing anything wrong. So the whole "legal vs. right" issue doesn't exist for him. He believes what he is doing is BOTH legal AND right.
    Well Soda – I agree with you that DeVore thinks he is right here. But, to me, that’s the whole problem. As I said, the way I was brought up is that it is wrong to “borrow” something from someone without their permission. To me, it’s simply a matter here that DeVore knows that Henley disapproves of him using the material. So why doesn’t he just respect that the same way Joe Walsh (the candidate) did and find something else to use. Sorry, but I just don’t blame this one on Henley. Regardless of who is legally right, I just don’t think DeVore is ‘playing nice’. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I understand why Henley took action against DeVore, but I think it was a mistake. Now a video which would have quickly slid into obscurity is a campaign talking point that has garnered DeVore nationwide coverage. DeVore gets to play the victim while Henley gets headlines like this:

TMZ: "Don Henley - All He Wants to Do Is Sue"

Oh well. Hope it's worth it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

DeVore obviously doesn't believe he's doing anything wrong.
    That is not the conclusion I came to at all. I know guys like DeVore. He is 'working it'... if the shoe were on the other foot, he'd be screaming bloody murder....

there is no good in people like him... if Henley can be a hardass and a jerk sometimes, at least he has talent and he actually attempts to be singular in his approach.

As for the wise thing to do for Henley to 'let it go'... sorry, I cannot in good conscience blame the victim. Tactically, I'm certain that Henley will trade a TMZ article for making sure that people know he does not support republicans and scoundrels who work for them like Devore....

Besides, I think the publicity works for Henley.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

No such thing as "bad" publicity. Anything that keeps your name in the news is the desired effect. This applies to both men. I'm watching this lawsuit with great interest.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    there is no good in people like him...
    He arguably misused two Henley songs. I reserve the "pure evil" label for people who do more than allegedly violate copyright, but hey, that's just me.

Tactically, I'm certain that Henley will trade a TMZ article for making sure that people know he does not support republicans and scoundrels who work for them like Devore.....
    Yeah, 'cause if it weren't for this lawsuit, everyone would totally think Henley was a Republican, right?

Border Desperado

Yeah, 'cause if it weren't for this lawsuit, everyone would totally think Henley was a Republican, right?
    it was what lots and lots and lots of people thought about Bruce Springsteen and he said he regretted not fighting harder to stop it.

also 'no good in him' ≠ evil, your words, not mine. (kinda hyperbolic, too, no?)

I think when we just ignore or shrug off folks who victimize other people, we encourage that behavior and give tacit approval. This guy should be denounced by his own and brought into to line with what they represent and believe in...

I had an incident the other day at the Dept of Motor Vehicles (I'm restoring an old pickup truck with my son and was applying to keep the old 1960's plates) anyway, I had to wait a couple of hours and during the wait a guy got really angry (he had some pretty major paperwork problems it sounded like) anyway, he starts yelling at the ladies behind the counter (a small DMV all staffed by women, at least when I was there.) and as his rage grows he turns it into some kind of political thing about the state, the government just totally nutty... Anyway, his language got ugly and he made some slurs at the women who were working there... I'd had enough of them hassling the ladies and just being a jerk.

I'm a fairly large and imposing person (with a nice smile though!) I got up and headed for him and said firmly and calmly, "That is enough. It is time for you to go." he glared at me and I continued, "If you do not leave, I will call the police and I promise you, you will not enjoy the experience."

Like most bullies he grabbed his stuff and left.. but when he got in the parking lot we could hear him yelling that he was coming back and he was going to 'get me' and all that. I went to the door and he actually ran to his car and sped off. I noticed that an old gentleman was right behind me.

When I re-entered, the old guy introduced himself... he'd been sheriff in our county until about 10 years ago... he told me that when we don't go straight at this nonsense these folks start feeling like they have the right to be ugly...

The ladies said, "Would anyone object if this man goes next? (pointing to me) and I said, "hey, I can wait, I'm only 4 numbers away" and everyone laughed...

When I say that the guy has 'no good in him' I mean that he is willing to put his needs ahead of everyone else's. I think that is the core problem everywhere. We need to be community minded and accept some risk and accept that things aren't always going to go our way and actually be glad about it....

When causes I support have someone who do something that I see as reprehensible, I at least make sure that they know how unhappy I am with the behavior. It is true that Don Henley has deep pockets and has probably done his share of 'wrong things' but, I would want this guy to make sure that if he was representing my party of choice that he know that I did not support his efforts and that his efforts actually harm the cause.

I realize that for some folks, the ends do justify the means... I have learned in adulthood that doing bad to do good never ever works.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck DeVore

A key part of this effort to harness non-traditional modes of political speech began 13 months ago when, while campaigning in the Bakersfield area, I saw a fading Obama bumper sticker on a Prius. Instantly, the line, “Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac, a little voice inside my head said: don’t look back, you can never look back,” from the Don Henley song “The Boys of Summer” popped into my head.

- Chuck DeVore

Hey, at least the guys got good taste in music, heh? If he was able to pull those lyrics up immediately in his head he's obviously a fan of the song!

So should DeVore have used a song by someone who obviously has a complete polar political view, or should Henley let sleeping dogs lie?

In this case I think that the act shouldn't have been committed in the first place. Legal or not, Devore should pick a song by someone who shares his political views and save a lot of time and money.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

It does seem rather petty to take digs at Don for his liberal views by choosing his songs to parody; of course, here on The Border, we all tend to be protective of Don and bristle when something like this happens to him. Still, we have to recognize that part of the nature of parody is to mock the originator of the work, which is a well-established practice used by people of all stripes for hundreds of years.

Parody gets special protection that other works do not (because, as implied above, very few targets actually enjoy being parodied and thus the parody genre would shrivel up and die if permission were required). Whether or not we (or Don) approve of the use of parody as a political tactic is irrelevant. It is protected by the United States courts.

However, I do keep in mind that whether or not these videos are parodies is still being contested. If Don's lawyers can convince the court the videos don't come under the purview of legally protected parody, then DeVore will almost certainly lose.

In my personal opinion, one should only sue if the other person truly is violating the law, not to forward a personal agenda against someone you dislike/disagree with/want revenge upon. Indeed, I feel that's an abuse of our court system.

Hopefully Don is not doing this just to punish DeVore for defying him or to show his disapproval of DeVore's politics (something which could be done just as easily through a press conference if it were truly needed). I choose to believe Don honestly feels DeVore is violating the law.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

In my personal opinion, one should only sue if the other person truly is violating the law, not to forward a personal agenda against someone you dislike/disagree with/want revenge upon. Indeed, I feel that's an abuse of our court system.
    Soda, I would agree with this statement. However, it applies to both parties involved here. Even though DeVore may not be technically suing, he seems very eager to take this to court. If he weren't interested in forwarding his personal agenda, he would have tried to resolve this outside of court. I think what most of us here are saying in this thread is that this is not a matter of legality to us ... it's a matter of common decency. If Mr. DeVore was truly interested in doing what is right, then he wouldn't want to use someone else's property without their approval. I am not defending Don here because he is an Eagle and I am a fan or because of any particular political agenda; I am defending him because I believe he is the victim here, and his human rights are being abused by a fellow human being.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender
    I realize that for some folks, the ends do justify the means... I have learned in adulthood that doing bad to do good never ever works.
    I think bender pretty much sums it up in a nutshell for me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

Sometimes one just has to stand and fight. We can try to resolve the issue intelligently and respectfully. We can try to walk away. We can do our best to ignore what’s being thrown at us or taken from us, but it can reach that point where enough is enough.

No doubt the reasoning behind it is more difficult to determine when one is a public figure. Most of us would not be subjected to a public debate on usage of our intellectual property without our permission but most of us are clear on that feeling that something we own has been stolen, especially if the one who stole it is waving it around claiming they have a right to it.

I just have to give Mr. Henley credit for having his reasons even if we’re not aware of exactly what they are.