Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley v. DeVore

Border Desperado

Default Re: Henley v. DeVore

Originally Posted by sodascouts

A key part of this effort to harness non-traditional modes of political speech began 13 months ago when, while campaigning in the Bakersfield area, I saw a fading Obama bumper sticker on a Prius. Instantly, the line, “Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac, a little voice inside my head said: don’t look back, you can never look back,” from the Don Henley song “The Boys of Summer” popped into my head.

- Chuck DeVore

I have to imagine that the good folks here have examined what Henley was after with the original line.... essentially that the apotheosis of subsumption of culture would be when the folks who support the dead, the symbol of the counterculture, the people who 'dropped out' of traditional, conservative culture would devolve into the ultimate symbol of consumption and American conservatism--> the cadillac.

The image of a 'fading' Obama bumper sticker on a Prius isn't the same kind of juxtaposition at all. In fact, it really doesn't make any sense in relation to the original quote... it is a kind of false irony or orthogonalism that folks use when they either A) don't get it or B) are intentionally trying to twist a point in order to redirect a debate and confuse those who are paying attention.

I have certainly seen my share of people who will go to any length in order to 'win'... In Devore's case, he did something wrong and now all we see is the wrangling and wriggling to try to make something 'right' out of it. Like so many things these days, the point of Henley's contention will be lost in a flurry of nonsense, ultimately growing more confused until the debate devolves into a simple right vs. left emotional standoff.

His bowdlerization of Henley's original line is a pretty clear example of what appears to be his main tactic---> provide heat rather than light.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here's an article that offers some explanation of the legalese in that document linked above from The Hollywood Reporter:

Republican: Using Don Henley Songs is Parody of "Hollywood and Entertainment Elite"
    By Eriq Gardner

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DeVore View Post

The point? Henley and other celebrities who fought to get Barack Obama elected display a naive affection for liberal politicians who espouse broken promises and failed policies. Why listen to them?

That is HIS opinion.

Apparently he is not attacking his political opponent, but Don Henley and every other 'liberal celebrity' who has the nerve to vote for someone other than his kind. It's good to see the truth come out. Barbara Boxer? Who's she?

NB: I guess I should stress that I am sure that liberals have attacked conservatives using the same methods.

I think DeVore realizes that the "Hollywood Elite" are an easy target which will garner him a lot of sympathy amongst "regular guy" voters and that, if he can convince the court it's a parody, he'll probably win.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Apparently he is not attacking his political opponent, but Don Henley and every other 'liberal celebrity' who has the nerve to vote for someone other than his kind. It's good to see the truth come out. Barbara Boxer? Who's she?

NB: I guess I should stress that I am sure that liberals have attacked conservatives using the same methods.

I don't think it's the voting part that bothers him, but rather the soapboxing. These celebrities know nothing more than I do. Why should anyone listen to their political views? But because it comes from the mouth of a beloved celebrity some people tend to vote that way.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    These celebrities know nothing more than I do.
    I wonder if that is actually true. With power and fame come access.

If I pick up the phone and try to call a senator, I wonder how quickly they'll call me back? If Henley calls..?

Last week, I was in a meeting (for work) with several state senators and the governor (and his aides)... part of the meeting was a more intimate setting where the conversation was pretty open and very frank and information was exchanged that wouldn't be feasible in a larger context.

The gist is that I may be operating with info that the average person might not know and it helps inform my decision making. Is it possible that the 'inside scoop' that so many people think they get from various sources is actually not so 'inside'? I don't know for sure, I'm not in the inner circles.

One of my brothers is very much involved in politics and is a large donor to specific campaigns and causes... part of his participation grants him access to the candidates and to briefings on specific elements that are not easily discussed in a broader forum... So, having had those experiences, I wonder if maybe some folks with more access might not have better information.

I'm not easily swayed by celebrity. But, I do know that things I read about my own company in the regular press and from pundits are fairly hilarious (the take they have on specific issues) and totally wrong, but there is no possible way to set them right... in many cases, folks like having it twisted.

I served on our local school board as president for several years and I watched how people will form opinions based on how they think they want things to turn out... so much of being on a board is NOT talking, but being circumspect and working through issues carefully and with delicate language while being barraged by folks with agendas and sometimes just a need to 'set things right' when it is clear they don't even understand the context....

This thread gave me an opportunity to go read about Jackson Browne's successful defense of John McCain's use of his song and the drubbing McCain took. There are some artists who are not well informed and some who are very well informed and spend lots of time, effort and energy and use their access to form their opinions. It doesn't mean we'll agree with them, but I can't say that they don't have better information than I do.

I think maybe we want artists to just entertain us and be kind of cartoon characters that we can manipulate to fit our world view... and when they don't behave, we don't like it...

I'm not sure.
    Last edited by bernie's bender; 04-14-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    I think maybe we want artists to just entertain us and be kind of cartoon characters that we can manipulate to fit our world view... and when they don't behave, we don't like it...

I'm not sure.
    You got the first part right.
    ~ Cathy ~

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    You got the first part right.
    Yep. And they just want to make music or movies and not have the fans pry into their private lives.

But, with one, we get the other and we make our peace with it. They will be human and have opinions (if they weren't outspoken, they wouldn't be singing, right?) Our appetite for their talent extends to the degree that we want to 'know them' except once we know them, they maybe don't agree with our views on everything...

life is complicated like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    But, with one, we get the other and we make our peace with it. They will be human and have opinions (if they weren't outspoken, they wouldn't be singing, right?) Our appetite for their talent extends to the degree that we want to 'know them' except once we know them, they maybe don't agree with our views on everything...
    And yet there are many who do make a living singing and acting and never utter a word of political advice. Those are the ones I admire, because they are not using they're celebrity to persuade me to vote a certain way. Sometimes living by example has far greater results than speaking.
    ~ Cathy ~