Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley v. DeVore

Border Desperado

Default Re: Henley v. DeVore

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    And yet there are many who do make a living singing and acting and never utter a word of political advice. Those are the ones I admire, because they are not using they're celebrity to persuade me to vote a certain way. Sometimes living by example has far greater results than speaking.
    sounds good. example?
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

And yet there are many who do make a living singing and acting and never utter a word of political advice. Those are the ones I admire, because they are not using they're celebrity to persuade me to vote a certain way. Sometimes living by example has far greater results than speaking.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    sounds good. example?
    Actually, the list of celebrities who don't abide by this is shorter than the other. I'll list the obvious offenders.

Tim Robbins
    Susan Sarandon
    George Clooney

Off the top of my head.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado

Interesting. I was trying to think of artists, actors etc who I couldn't place with a 'cause' and I came up empty... that is why I asked.

I couldn't even think of an athlete who isn't aligned with some issue or cause..

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Bender - the way I read this latest discussion, the question was not "Name someone who makes their living singing and acting who isn't aligned with some issue or cause".

PM's statement that you asked her about was ...

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyMaid
    And yet there are many who do make a living singing and acting and never utter a word of political advice.
    I think the issue here is not whether people object to celebrities who have a cause, but rather to the ones who are very vocal and use whatever bully pulpit that is available to them to bring 'awareness' to their views. I think most of us pay to go to a concert to hear the artist's music, not their 'cause'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Bender - the way I read this latest discussion, the question was not "Name someone who makes their living singing and acting who isn't aligned with some issue or cause".

PM's statement that you asked her about was ...

I think the issue here is not whether people object to celebrities who have a cause, but rather to the ones who are very vocal and use whatever bully pulpit that is available to them to bring 'awareness' to their views. I think most of us pay to go to a concert to hear the artist's music, not their 'cause'.
    Right. I was trying to think of some actor's or musicians who are not very vocal about their beliefs.. I couldn't think of any.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "very vocal."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Remember, we're talking 'political" here...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

I don't think it's the voting part that bothers him, but rather the soapboxing. These celebrities know nothing more than I do. Why should anyone listen to their political views? But because it comes from the mouth of a beloved celebrity some people tend to vote that way.
    I see your point, but I think that DeVore thinks the celebrities' views are valueless simply because they are liberals. If he were a liberal himself, somehow I think his take on this would be different.

The people I object to using their art for supporting endless causes are so politically correct that I don't know if I should name them, especially as I am supposed to be on their side, but they are U2 and Sting. No doubt they mean well but they come across as sanctimonious grandstanders.

I don't feel that way about Mr Henley, but I should admit that back in the 90s, when he seemed to attend every benefit going (while Glenn stayed in the background) it never seemed to end. I freely admit there is a degree of hypocrisy on my part here.

Border Desperado

Remember, we're talking 'political" here...
    yes. I know that. When I think of movie stars who are 'very' political-->
    Tom Cruise, Angelina, Brad, Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis, Kate Hudson, Salma Hayek, Redford, Newman, Colin Farrell... I wasn't being facetious... I have been thinking about it all afternoon (thank goodness... I had some really boring meetings where I needed to appear like I was concentrating!)

I wish everything was separate. (just so you know my actual position.) I wish people just ran on their ideas (there is a guy running for county sheriff and his slogan is "Simply Service. No Politics." I dig that... although the slogan is kind of political...

I wish we didn't have boycotts, I wish that people made stuff and sold it and you didn't get 3 days in a hotel if you bought a car, or 25% off (why don't they just sell it for 25% off anyway!)

I wanna go to the movie or to a concert and just listen and watch. But, I also want all of us to be less interested in who Tiger Woods boinks and definitely not the details (they had sex near the crib) we just don't need to know... but it is unavoidable... on the news, they'll announce Exxon's annual earnings and without taking a breath talk about the latest woman middle school teacher who is providing oral sex to students.

This is not to say I want things censored either... but, a little decorum might be nice.

I'm not in favor of people like DeVore, regardless of what anyone else has done or how the game is played... his actions were petty and small.

For all the people on both sides of the political fence (and as a new force begins to grow) doing bad to do good is bad. We all need to start demanding that people knock it off.

Pueblo, I'm with you on U2 and Sting. I don't know them. Maybe they really believe all the stuff they say... maybe they are who they portray themselves as.... I'm lucky as I'm not particularly interested in either group.

I do know a funny Sting though. He was on Howard Stern's radio show (I know I know) and Howard was asking him about tantric sex... (Sting has claimed he can have sex all day long.) his wife was on the show with him (I think her name is Trudy) anyway, Sting goes on and on about tantric sex and how amazing and transcendental it is etc... Finally, Howard (his redeeming quality) turns to trudy and says, "So, is this all on the level? Is it true?" and she laughs! and laughs! and then says, "well, howard if you define all day as about 3 minutes, then yeah."

As they used to say in my youth "What a burn."