Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neatniks vs... well... not-so-neat

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default Re: What now?

dreamer, we're all just disguising our jealousy, don't let anyone kid you. There's a very Frey/Henley (Frenley?) situation unfurling here.

I do like my piles, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well OMG - Certainly I am not the only member of this board that is willing to defend the neat freaks, am I?. Sure we may be a bit obsessive compulsive, but to attack our very integrity and motives is beyond my anal comprehension. Please believe that I am trustworthy when I say I like to keep my world in perfect order for myself - not merely to impress some lame visitor. And all you pilots out there, just remember you haven't cornered the market on hiding things from yourselves.

Now, of course, I'm not really offended, but the other side needs a voice here.

I can't really classify myself as a "neat freak", but I do believe in "a place for everything and everything in it's place". Can't say I've always been that way though. It's an aquired condition.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Well Dreamer, I want to be a neat freak. I was a neat freak for many years... but kids change that. Now I feel lucky to avoid stepping on Lego's in the dark.

How's messy but clean? I dust, mop and vacuum regulary... but clean laundry and toys are usually everywhere!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I'm what I call a "surface cleaner" myself. I try to keep the floors clean (difficult with 3 cats and 2 dogs and kids running around all the time) counters cleaned off etc but DON'T look under ANYTHING or open a closet! It's ugly!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    No, no, no; I'm with ticky on this one. Group hug! You both have my support in this regard!

And the best part is looking through the piles you've forgotten about and finding "new" things. "Heyyyy... I've been wanting that! Excellent!" Better than shopping because you bought 'em in the first place so it's like raiding your other self's treasure trove!
    Oh, I can tell I'm forming an alliance with Soda, Ticky, MikeA, and ABM on this one. Also Luvthelighthouse, with the piles of clean laundry...by the time I would've gotten around to puttin' it all away, the kids have already worn it again ! I do make an attempt, however! Mike, nothing is more exasperating when you know you have something in a pile, but in the meantime some 'well-meaning soul" has gone and moved in on you...endless amounts of time wasted searching for the something you knew the exact location of the last time you thought of it ...

And Dreamer and the neatniks, I am soo utterly that you can make 'neatnik-ing' a priority in your schedules (that I'm sure are busy and full as mine is!) I just haven't had that become a priority...yet!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

I'm looking for a box of 15 golf balls I bought. I've marked them and everything and now can't find them. I'e look through all my regularly used piles. I mean, come on, most of my piles can't hide a full freakin' box of 15 golf balls!

Oh well, I'll find them next year and will be pleased because the price of the balls will have gone up by then and I will have saved money!

There is virtue in sloppiness.

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I guess I'll have to join dreamer and the neat freak team! My kids friends used to come over and tell me I had the cleanest house they'd ever been in! I have put things away and never found them again though!

Now once in a while things get messy, but it always gets straightened up. I just can't handle it any other way!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh Brooke - I just knew I could count on my twin-separated-at-birth on this. However, I do have a small confession to make - when I said that I kept my world in perfect order, I was exaggerating somewhat for dramatic effect. I used to be a lot more anal about my house than I am now. But as I like to say - sometimes the world gets in the way and things have to slide. I mostly keep things neat, but I do have some piles. Of course, they are usually my little secret piles that are hidden away out of sight where only I know where to find them (hopefully). In addition, I have been known to occasionally spot a dust bunny or two around the place!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Today I cleaned out what I call my "important papers drawer" which contains any records that I need to keep for a long time. I was looking for a certain prescription and I dug ALL the way down before finding it. I figured, as I refilled the drawer, why not throw away what was expired - warranties, insurance materials, out of date prescriptions, records that are now irrelevant, etc... I threw away TWO-THIRDS of the content of that drawer!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Neatniks vs... well... not-so-neat

My mother is a "neat freak". They live in a beautiful house and the gardens and house are well tended and gorgeous. I dunno where it came from, but my brother and I are both slobs. My sister was very tidy but she never lived in anything bigger then about 300 square feet. All her furniture however was highly polished antique wood and everything was beautiful. Now THAT is much more like my Mom.
    I've decided not to paint the walls till Im sure Sarah is well out of the drawing on them phaze (I think she's there, but we'll wait till spring) The girls rooms are.. well.. dangerous for walking in. Jenni's room will soon get the over haul as well as the bathroom, but Im just not a cleaning type person, never have been, never will be.
    I had a therapist once who said I was a "lazy perfectionist" I want everything a certain way and if I cant have it that way or it's too big a job, I just dont do it.
    That's about right!