Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

First of all - I'm wondering who that wardrobe assistant is that Soda mentioned - anybody got a clue ...

And I also agree that it is too early for The Heat Is On to be eliminated. While I agree that the video doesn't have enough Glenn and what part that's there is somewhat distorted, I still think it is an entertaining video. As I said last round, I actually think it's better than the other soundtrack video, POMPOY. Too bad we didn't try to form a coalition sooner to try to save it. It's not impossible to save it now, but it's a huge long shot to say the least. Everyone that voted last round who hasn't voted yet would have to vote for Some Kind of Blue. So, without further ado ...

I cast my vote for Some Kind of Blue.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Hmmmm, yeah, I can see what you mean. Maybe it's just an optical illusion with the dark stubble making his face look narrower than usual and the pouffy hair on top and slicked back sides.

As much as I like the stubble on Glenn, I do not like this video. There's just not enough Glenn. This happens on a couple more of his videos, too.

Since it seems to be going down anyway, I'm going to vote strategically. I cast my vote for I Found Somebody Glenn, you need to open your eyes when you sing to me. I want to look in to those beautiful baby blues!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm going to vote this round to eliminate 'Livin Right' I'm just not mad about either the video or the song. (OK I'm jealous of Cindy! But I prefer ROD)
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Perhaps if Glenn had given the ladies some eye candy by looking his usual gorgeous self, it would have been somewhat tolerable... but NO! He dyes his hair blond and looks awful, depriving us even of that! It's downright misogynistic! lol
    Clearly, having gleefully punted this one at the first opportunity, I'm not a fan of the video; however, I took the bleached hair as symbolic of the "21st century." The song seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek, and I interpreted the hair as a continuation: "nothing's the same, so time to bleach out." He evidenced a fairly impressive clairvoyance foreshadowing the "look" that would ultimately be adopted by both the geek in Hackers and the sociopath in Girl, Interrupted.

Must concur with TBF's anti-stalking sentiments and cast my vote for Sexy Girl. Too L&O:SVU for my taste.

Yeah, I get that there was a concept behind the video and they had reasons for what they were doing. I understand the deliberate artificiality of the high-contrast colors and bleached out lighting, the attempt to create a sense of dehumanization that even extends to Glenn himself. He no longer looks "real." As for the lewd content, I'm sure the (undoubtedly male) directors/video producers thought that there was no better way to demonstrate the depersonalization of romance than showing guys getting off to strippers and phone sex operators.

But if the enactment of your concept turns off massive amounts of people, I don't think it furthers the main objective... sell records!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I don't really understand the 'stalking' comments about Sexy Girl. For the most part it isn't really Glenn who is chasing her around. He finds her attractive and he has a very corny 'dream' about her but I don't understand why this could be interpreted as 'stalking'.

Just a general comment: there are far too many women in Glenn's videos anyway. Would it not have been nice if he had made a video that consists of only him (oh, POMPOY... well, you can barely see him in that). I do not count Cindy's role in ROD here, or I guess Janie's in Smuggler's Blues. I just find it annoying that he felt he has to share the spotlight.

Default Results for Round 2 - The Heat Is No Longer On

The second video to be eliminated from Glenn’s Video Survivor is The Heat Is On. The Heat Is On, you can make or break, you can win or lose - and you lost. Leave the island immediately. The rest of the videos may return to camp.

Votes
    The Heat Is On - 7
    Some Kind of Blue - 3
    I Found Somebody - 2
    Sexy Girl - 2
    I've Got Mine - 1
    Livin' Right - 1

Vote Breakdown
    The Heat Is On - EagleLady
    The Heat Is On - sodascouts
    The Heat Is On - eaglesvet
    The Heat Is On - Koala
    The Heat Is On - eaglesfever
    The Heat Is On - Troubadour
    The Heat Is On - Freypower
    Some Kind of Blue - glenneaglesfan
    Some Kind of Blue - Prettymaid
    Some Kind of Blue - Ive always been a dreamer
    I Found Somebody - WildThyme
    I Found Somebody - Brooke
    Sexy Girl - TimothyBFan
    Sexy Girl - AmarilloByMorning
    I've Got Mine - timfan
    Livin' Right - Glennsallnighter

Videos eliminated:
    Love in the 21st Century 08/29
    The Heat Is On 08/31

Videos still remaining:
    I Found Somebody
    The One You Love
    Sexy Girl
    Smuggler's Blues
    You Belong to the City
    Some Kind of Blue
    True Love
    Livin' Right
    Soul Searchin'
    Part of Me, Part of You
    I've Got Mine
    River of Dreams

Voting for Round 3 begins after the following immunity question is answered:

Which video won the MTV Video Award for Best Concept Video?

Remember to put both your answer and the video you want immune in order for it to count.

Stuck on the Border

Smuggler's Blues and I would like True Love to be immune please.

That's right!

True Love is immune.

Round 3 starts now!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't really understand the 'stalking' comments about Sexy Girl. For the most part it isn't really Glenn who is chasing her around. He finds her attractive and he has a very corny 'dream' about her but I don't understand why this could be interpreted as 'stalking'.

Just a general comment: there are far too many women in Glenn's videos anyway. Would it not have been nice if he had made a video that consists of only him (oh, POMPOY... well, you can barely see him in that). I do not count Cindy's role in ROD here, or I guess Janie's in Smuggler's Blues. I just find it annoying that he felt he has to share the spotlight.
    Well, FP, I totally agree with you about your first comment, but totally disagree with you about the second one.

I don't see Sexy Girl as 'stalker Glenn' either, and particularly disagree with ABM's L&O - SVU reference. IMO, the intent of video is far too light-hearted to be taken seriously as 'stalkeresque'.

However, as far as Glenn including others in his videos, I think it was a wise choice whether it be women or men. Not being willing to share the spotlight may come across as a bit too egotistical as far as I’m concerned.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016