Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Default Re: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

We all seem to be all over the place about what constitutes a good Glenn Frey video!

I should be getting ready for work, but I had to reply to Dreamer's comments about the POMPOY video, because I totally disagree. It is a soundtrack video, so for me there are some warm fuzzies associated with the movie - not the song. But let's pretend it's not a movie, just some actors hired to be in Glenn's video, just like his other videos. You can easily associate what he's singing with what's showing in the video. Two friends can't stand the mundaneness of their lives anymore,take a trip together, run into trouble, break the law and flee from the police, all the while forming a bond that for them, nothing can break. When Glenn is singing You're a part of me, I am part of you, I totally get this deep freindship between these two women. At 3:10 it even emphasizes how much they have begun to look alike through all of their adventures. I am not saying that this is my favorite of Glenn's videos, just that it doesn't deserve less because it's a soundtrack video.

BTW, it doesn't matter to me how much it shows Glenn in the video (ducking and running)!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I should be getting ready for work, but I had to reply to Dreamer's comments about the POMPOY video, because I totally disagree. It is a soundtrack video, so for me there are some warm fuzzies associated with the movie - not the song. But let's pretend it's not a movie, just some actors hired to be in Glenn's video, just like his other videos. You can easily associate what he's singing with what's showing in the video. Two friends can't stand the mundaneness of their lives anymore,take a trip together, run into trouble, break the law and flee from the police, all the while forming a bond that for them, nothing can break. When Glenn is singing You're a part of me, I am part of you, I totally get this deep freindship between these two women. At 3:10 it even emphasizes how much they have begun to look alike through all of their adventures. I am not saying that this is my favorite of Glenn's videos, just that it doesn't deserve less because it's a soundtrack video.
    PM – I did consider what you are saying when I wrote my earlier post, but I guess this is another one of those times where people just have different perceptions. Honestly, if I hadn’t already seen the movie, then most of the clips used in the video would be rendered rather useless in helping me understand the relationship of the song to the movie’s plot – but maybe that’s just me. I can be rather dense at times, ya know.

And FP – again – different strokes for different folks, but I just don’t see much in the Livin’ Right video that particularly dates it to the 80’s - maybe a few minor, subtle things, but nothing of great significance. I mean there isn’t even a lot of ‘80’s big hair But the bottom line is that even if it is dated, that isn’t really a factor for me if it is a good video otherwise. However, as we always say, each of us has our own reasons for voting the way we do, so in the big scheme of things, it really isn't important.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yes, we do seem to be all over the place! Here's my criteria:

- Is what they do interesting (ie, not just standing there singing)?

- Is there a good "plot"? (What can I say, I love "story videos"!)

- Are there unique things about it that set it apart from other videos? This can be anything from the nature of the "plot" to the set design to the use of visuals to the use of symbolism (and more!)

- In the case of soundtracks, is the singer/band (who here happens to be Glenn Frey ) shown more than a few times? It doesn't have to be the whole video, but it makes me feel like the song is more than a trailer for a movie if he gets more screen time than the movie clips.

But here's the biggie, and the one that can make or break the deal:

Do I enjoy watching it?

And in the end, that's what'll be the "best" one for me - the one I most enjoy watching.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    but maybe that’s just me. I can be rather dense at times, ya know.

Don't go there Dreamer - you're one of the smartest people I know!
    ~ Cathy ~

Well, PM, that's real sweet of ya to say that, but, girl - maybe you need to get out some and meet more people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, PM, that's real sweet of ya to say that, but, girl - maybe you need to get out some and meet more people!!!
    I knew you were going to say that!
    ~ Cathy ~

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I have a soft spot for 'Sexy Girl'. It brings me back to 1984 and the relative infancy of MTV (Well in Ireland anyway). On Sunday afternoons we (My sister and I) used to sit through 4 hours of a programme from the States called MTUSA hosted by the great and now late Vincent Hanley.

For some reason one video from this has ALWAYS stood out from that show for me, and when I think about watching it 25 years later I always think first of 'Sexy Girl' Dunno why (Must be the uber hot male lead got to me even then!) I also remember my sister used tease me that I wouldn't go to the shop with her to buy candy (I nearly wrote 'Cindy') until after SG had aired.

So I CAN'T vote it off just yet!

I cast my vote once again for 'Livin Right'.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Re: POMPOY...

There are things I absolutely love about this video. (I went and fetched some illustrations from my Part of Me, Part of You screenshot page).

1) It was a magnificent idea to have the lyrics of the song in beautiful script projected behind him on what looks to be glass in front of sheets. Sometimes the reflection of these lyrics even fall across his face. It draws attention to the meaning of the song in a lovely, subtle yet visually sophisticated way and I LOVE it.

2) Similarly, there is a part of the video filmed in an interior of the warehouse (?) where the camera pans across lyric sheets pinned to a clothesline, with Glenn sitting behind them a little to the side next to his guitar looking contemplative. It only lasts a few seconds (it starts at 1:50) but it struck me so much I think of those seconds even now as a highlight of the video. How I wish they had focused on this more! A few seconds is not enough!

3) The shot at the end where Glenn walks away, completely overlaid by the lyrics so it's like he's walking through them. (You probably see a theme here, lol).

4) He actually IS the focus of the video, I believe, despite the integration of the clips. He is shown FAR more here than in The Heat Is On video, and there is much more going on with his shots in this video.

5) Oh my gosh, he looks so good.

But there are problems, too.

1) I think it would be hard for people unfamiliar with the movie to understand what's going on in those clips.

2) Why so dark? Who decided it was a good idea to make some shots so dark that there are times when you can barely make out his facial expressions?

3) Which editor decided it would be a good idea to stick a shot of Geena Davis's character being grabbed by a would-be rapist after Glenn sings "You and I will always be together"??? That bothers me every time I watch this video.

While there are a lot of positives here, those last two really interfere with my enjoyment of the video.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to vote for it this round.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Good points, Soda and I also agree with you about the main criteria being how much you enjoy watching the video.

Well, it may be time to try to form a coalition for those who want to save Livin' Right. I'm not saying it's one of Glenn's best videos, but for me, it is entertaining and fun to watch. So, on to the matter at hand - based on previous rounds, it seems that the song that has the best chance at elimination this round is Some Kind of Blue. So, for those of you waiting to vote, if you want to save Livin' Right, your best chance at forming a coalition is to vote for Some Kind of Blue.

Dreamer, I agree with you about both "Livin' Right" & "Some King of Blue". Something about the SKOB video bothers me. I guess it's the girl & the alligator. It certainly isn't Glenn! However, LR is one that I keep going back to and enjoy watching. I see it as light hearted look at the fitness scene in the 80's. Glenn's hotness doesn't hurt either!

Sorry I missed the last vote. The Internet went down just as I was submitting my vote for THIO, so I guess it didn't matter anyway.

This time I am banding with Dreamer and casting my votefor Some Kind of Blue.

Save "Livin' Right"!