Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Glenn Frey Music Video Survivor

When I reviewed these videos I wrote down notes and for SKOB I wrote "ok". That's it. I couldn't think of anything else that struck me about it. I also wrote that I prefer the videos with Glenn doing some kind of acting in them. I want more Glenn than anyone else. As much as I love the song POMPOY, the video is not that great, imo.

Therefore dreamer, I'm with you here and cast my vote for Some Kind Of Blue.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm joinin' the save Livin' Right coalition and voting for Some Kind of Blue to be the next video eliminated

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    3) Which editor decided it would be a good idea to stick a shot of Geena Davis's character being grabbed by a would-be rapist after Glenn sings "You and I will always be together"??? That bothers me every time I watch this video.
    I appreciated all of your points, but I don't see this one that way. I think that through most of the song he is singing about the relationship between Thelma and Louise. Just after the shot of Thelma and her rapist, and just after Louise has shot him, Glenn sings, " From this day on you'll never walk alone." I think that line and the line that you quoted, "You and I will always be together", are meant for the female lead characters. In other words, "Look what we've done, now we're in it for the long haul."

Anyway, the video is interesting enough to be having this conversation so it can't be all bad!

Back to the vote. Not necessarily to save Livin' Right, because I don't like it either, I once again cast my vote for Some Kind Of Blue.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I want more Glenn than anyone else.
    The first time I read this, I thought it said "I want Glenn more than anyone else." lol

PM - I see what you're saying - but when I first watched the video I was really taken aback by that editing choice and I'm still uncomfortable with it.

Still undecided about my vote.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Because I find Livin' Right amusing (in part because it is dated) I cast my vote for Some Kind of Blue this round...

I'm enjoying all these discussions. I have to agree there are not enough shots of Glenn in the POMPOY video, but in the ones there are, he looks smokin'. I love this cap of Glenn on the open road on a flat bed truck.

Livin' Right was going to be my choice - I find it a bit cheesy, particularly when he is dancing with all those girls (sorry, Cindy!), but then I remembered the shot of him shooting the hoop and that tantalising glimpse...

So I'm going to cast my vote for Some Kind Of Blue again.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I am obviously a minority in this one and it saddens me to see Some Kind Of Blue being voted out so early. So to all of you that have formed your little coalition
    He sings it high, he plays it low

What do you like about it Willie?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Funny you should ask PM because I just went and watched it again and was getting ready to edit my last post to let you know.

1) I think you have to have a great song to have a great video-JMHO, and I think this is a good song to start with.

2)LOVE the way the video goes back and forth, screenshot of Glenn, screen shot of horn, video of girl, screen shot of drummer, screen shot of backup singers, etc....

3) I like the black and white and darkness/low lighting of the video...mood lighting if you will, hence I think it goes along with the song Some Kind Of Blue. He's upset about the breakup and feeling low and down...feeling blue.

4) I don't understand why a lot of you have mentioned the alligator. It appears 3 times for a grand total of less than 10 seconds in a video that is 4:45 minutes long. He's flashing back to memories and watching videos of her, whatever... my point is, it happens to be a happy memory for him of a time they apparently spent at a zoo, wildlife preserve, swamp, whatever it was.

BONUS---The background singers (one in particular). Just kidding!

Maybe I'm not putting enough emphasis on the videos themselves and to much on the song/music. But like I said, a video to me is visual and audio--tho I have been known to mute a video just to watch it (Alan Jackson for example--use to love looking at him but hate that country stuff-ducking and running again!)

Now can some of you tell me what's so awful about it because I'm dense and don't get it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I like the Some Kind of Blue video, too - and it's not just because Glenn looks magnificent.

He puts his acting talent to good use here, conveying so much with just his expressions. You can feel his pain.

I don't get the alligator hate either - she's just playing around and being silly. They're having a good time together.

The 8 mm film is a great way to demonstrate the past, and the current shots of the woman looking sad are an effective contrast (although I wish they'd spent enough money to give her a little more to work with). Yes, it's low budget and there's not a lot going on when it comes to Glenn - he's basically just sitting there. Plus, it kind of tapers off at the end. However, I still like it!

When I watch the video, I feel sad for them. "Aw, don't take your wedding ring off! Give the marriage another try!" lol If they can sell it to the point where I feel bad for them despite the fact that it's not a real situation, the video does what it needs to do.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten