Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary Buildup

Default Re: 30th Anniversary Buildup

My very high admiration of Glenn came about gradually. I'm not sure when my Glenn fanhood passed from casual to appreciative to major to hardcore... but pass it did.

I do remember the first time I thought, "Wow, it's not just his voice that's sexy" - it's when I saw this:

Literally made me stop in my tracks and go "DANG, he's hot."

And I'd become the girl from GFO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Love this pic and Glenns look in that era...

I don't remember when exactly I became and Eagles fan - think it might have been around 1986/87/88 at school - my singing lessons teacher was a diehard Eagles and we used to sing their songs. I always loved their music during all the years, but I didn't know that much about the individual members. That finally changed in 2001 at the concert in Zurich where I spent the whole concert staring at Glenn because he was so fascinating... Every time I saw them live I felt this very strong aura and passion he has, even when I had seats at the back of the Hallenstadion... Ah, what a memory...
    "Music is medicine for the soul. It's entertainment, but there are times when entertainment can inspire and inform. It can't hurt. It can only help. It's just how it makes you feel personally." (Glenn Frey 1992)

Stuck on the Border

Koala, that is magnificent. Thank you.

I need to point out that October 2 is the anniversary of when I decided Glenn was my favourite Eagle - not of being an Eagles fan.

This is from the old thread:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=311

I'm sorry to repeat it in full but it may help:

It's 1975 and I'm a 14 year old in love with Australia's top pop singer (from Sherbet, if anyone cares). I was also a huge McCartney & Wings fan & I liked stuff like Status Quo & Bachman Turner Overdrive (heavier stuff)! Then I started hearing the three 'big' songs from the OOTN album. My favourite was Take It To The Limit but I became addicted to Lyin' Eyes straight away. I was also a big fan of another song called Rocky Mountain Way in the same year.

I regularly read an Australian rock magazine and got a big surprise at the end of the year when it said that Bernie Leadon had been replaced in the Eagles by Joe Walsh. The first ever interview I read with Don & Glenn was in this magazine. I think that must have been when I decided that the most 'attractive' of them was Don Felder. Because I liked TITTL the best I somehow thought 'this must be Randy Meisner. He's the one I like'.

The band came to Australia in January 1976. The magazine was called RAM (Rock Australia Magazine) and it ran a couple of articles saying that the hot shot guitarist had 'sold out'. I was intrigued when they then ran a cover line which said 'Sheep Killer Special - Eagle Attacks RAM'! and Joe answered their taunts.

I was fascinated. What sort of music will these guys make together, I wondered. So then came the answer - Hotel California - and I was utterly transfixed by it. By then I think I was aware that the drummer was Don Henley and he seemed to sing most of the songs. I had no idea who any of the others were except Joe.

We were in Sydney in January 1977, before I bought the album which had been played to death on my local radio station. We were walking through an open air market in Chinatown. The PA system blared out New Kid In Town. I had heard it before but suddenly I found myself listening intently to the singer's voice. I couldn't stop myself. I was mesmerised.

I went back & read all the information & looked at the photos. But the man in question with his dark hair & moustache held no charms for me at all. This became even truer when I finally saw the HC video and it was dominated by Don Felder - but at least I now knew it was Felder who was my favourite. The voice of NKIT, AG, TIE, Lyin' Eyes, TS... that was my favourite voice, though.

I got more and more impatient as I awaited The Long Run. I wanted to ditch my teenage heroes and follow a 'real' band. I noted when Schmit replaced Meisner. I heard all sorts of rumours about discord in the studio. I even read a report that Frey had a 'collapse' of some sort. I was concerned.

I was at university in Canberra at the end of September 1979 when I first heard Heartache Tonight. I realised at once that it was the guy who sang NKIT. I thought 'well, if I'm going to have a favourite member of this band I suppose it will either be this guy or Don Henley because they sing most of the songs but I really don't like this guy physically'. * So I went into the city centre on the day the album was released to look at the cover, opened up the gatefold and there they were. Let's see... that's the new guy, Tim Schmit, with the long hair. Ah yes, Felder, still looks good (but he doesn't sing... it's not realistic for him to be my favourite member).

WHO ON EARTH IS THAT???

Moving along quickly - yes, that's Henley with the big hair (!) and that's Walsh. Nice moustache. So that means.... surely not....

I tried to tell myself that I would be better off if I 'went' with Henley but I couldn't do it. I was gone.

* Today's edit: Obviously I had assumed that he'd still have long hair and a moustache when I opened the gatefold. No wonder I didn't recognise him.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I just got goosebumps reading that FP! I had never read that before that I remember. I do remember that thread tho so maybe I had just forgotten that post. I do remember we had a discussion one time about opening that gatefold on TLR!! That was my Timmy moment!! I, like you, had been a fan previously and remember Bernie leaving and Joe coming in and quickly becoming my favorite Eagle (along with Randy) and being sad when Randy left....UNTIL I opened that album and saw the new bass player! Unfortunately, I can't remember that exact date but it was obviously about the same time as you discovered your love for Glenn.

Thanks so much for reposting that. I guess even after being on The Border as long as I've been, I still need to go back, way back, and read some of the old posts again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

I don't want to constantly blow my own trumpet during this period so can I add the following.

While 30 years is a long time, I can't compete with some of our very lucky Borderers who have met Mr Frey. As for the number of concerts I have been too, I have seen Glenn once on his own, Joe twice and the band six times, which isn't many. Then there were the gaps:

1979 - 1988 (when I first saw Glenn) 9 years

1988 - 1995 (HFO, which was delayed a year due to Glenn's illness) 7 years

1996 (because the HFO show was in December 95) - 2004 - 8 years

2005 - 2010 (hopefully) 5 years

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, here is the Reader's Digest version of my Eagles fandom, which is a lot like Brooke's. I was a fan from the very beginning the first time I heard Take It Easy sometime during the summer of '72. Initially, it was all about the music. As the band's front man, Glenn was the only member that I really knew by name. As the band became more and more popular throughout the '70's, I learned who all of them were, especially around the time that Joe joined the band. As Don became more prominent, he and Glenn became my favorites. That remained the case until October 11, 2005 when I went to the Oakland Arena concert. That was only my 3rd Eagles concert and I managed to get a 3rd row center seat. Without warning, as that show went on, I became increasingly mesmerized by this:

By the time I left that show I was absolutely chosen forever.

And OBTW - I also love reading that old thread where Borderer's told the story of their Eagles fandom. I always like to encourage newer members to revive it and post their own story.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And OBTW - I also love reading that old thread where Borderer's told the story of their Eagles fandom. I always like to encourage newer members to revive it and post their own story.
    I feel I've caused a hijacking of Julie's thread by being the one to begin the discussion of when I became a fan. As FP stated, this is not the date she bacame an Eagles fan, but rather a Glenn fan. I was just impressed that she could pinpoint the date.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

PM - sure we digress a bit, but I don't think you hijacked this thread at all. FP's upcoming anniversary just inspired all of us to do some reminiscing. The only reason I mentioned the other thread is because that was where many of us 'older' members posted very detailed accounts of how we became Eagles fans. I loved reading those stories, and, as I said, I also love to encourage others to read it and post their own story.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Freypower is there a significance to the lyrics in your latest banner? I'm not being facetious and am probably phrasing this incorrectly so I'll attempt a second time: I thought "Broken Arrow" was a Robbie Robertson song; did Glenn record it as well? I love it, either way.

Molly, that's hands-down my favorite photo of Glenn!

I'm really vicariously enjoying this celebration, by the way. You should all select an arbitrary date and party in this manner!

Stuck on the Border

PM: No, you certainly didn't hijack the thread! It is always great to hear everyone else's stories.

Regarding the date I was at university and I just wrote in my diary that I had seen the album cover that day.

ABM - yes, Broken Arrow is the Robbie Robertson song. It seems significant to me. I like the Native American imagery in it and the feeling it conveys of trying to connect with someone. I can't really explain why I think the symbolism works in this case because it's very personal and it will just sound extremely corny.