Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will we ever see Eagles Autobiographies ?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Will we ever see Eagles Autobiographies ?

Our usual vinyl crowd got together the other night and as usual, the conversation turns to music about 12 times every hour. We got to talking about Rock n Roll books. We all agreed we usually like the ones that are autobiographical instead of ones written by someone that might not have the facts or have heard from a friend of a friend, etc... Someone asked me about the Eagles and I told them there are several books out there and about Don Felder's Heaven And Hell. Told them in no uncertain terms, I would give ANYTHING if every member of the Eagles would write autobiographies but that I didn't think that would ever happen.

I could almost see Don or Glenn perhaps doing it (what better way for Don to toot his own horn?), and Joe's would be a crack up, don't you think? But I know I've read an interview where Tim says his life is to boring or something like that to ever write a book.

What's everyone else's take here? Do you think we will ever see books written by the Eagles? And if so, which ones do you think are most likely to do it and what do you think we would find in them?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Will we ever see Eagles Autobiographies ?

My first thought is I don't think any of them will ever write one, but I can possibly see Don doing it, as you said, to toot his own horn. But I really don't think he would be very forthcoming about anything Eagles. I don't think he would stoop to Felder's level!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I think it would make for some great reading and I'd certainly be first in line to buy it/them, but I have to agree that the most likely one to undertake such a project would be Don...who is also probably the LEAST likely. And I think the problem is that while there is certainly plenty they could tell (no doubt), in recent years they've really valued their privacy so much that to put it all out there in print would open them up to a lot more than any of them care to deal with.

While Don and Glenn, and to a lesser extent Joe, could provide a great deal of insight to the band as a whole, for any one or all of them to write individual memoirs would be equally welcome. As a band group they've experienced some incredible highs AND lows; individually they've pursued solo careers and pet projects (aside from the music) that would be fascinating. Tim says/thinks his life is 'boring' but those of us on The Border would arguably disagree. While he hasn't seen quite the level of success as a solo artist that the other three have, his resume' is no less remarkable.

As a former journalist who still loves to research a fascinating subject, I volunteer to conduct extensive one-on-one interviews and be their 'shadow writer'!
    I just need a little downtime.........

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree that I would be very surprised if any of the current members ever wrote an autobiography. And I don't exactly know why, but I also agree that if any of them did, it would probably be Don. HOWEVER - you girls are just harsh. I really can't see Don being motivated to 'toot his horn' by publishing an autobiography. He may want to set the record straight with his perception or version of some events. I also can see where it would be cathartic for some people to sit down and write the story of their life.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Cindy (end of year 1231),

I think that the most entertaining were one to be written, would be one by Joe. Not because of his incredible sense of humor, but rather because of all the various acts he has jammed with, recorded with and been friends with. David Crosby, members of the Beatles, The Who, Jimmy Page, Stevie Nicks, Dwayne Allman, man the list just goes on and on.

He could address the Eagles experiences from a different perspective than Don or Glenn...he has tried to remain divorced from the "politics" of the Eagles machine and would seriously doubt that he would get much into the black years of the reunion and litigation. During most of the development of that time, Joe was seriously in rehab and I doubt that he was concentrating overly on what was happening. He was certainly aware of the details of the legal actions post-2000, but his unique position (along with Timothy's) seems to have been that of "innocent bystander" and as such, I would seriously doubt he would have much of anything to say about it....certainly not as long as The Eagles were The Eagles. And who knows, there may be a legal gag order placed on Joe and Tim...that is SPECULATION. I have heard NOTHING OF THE SORT having happened.

Were anything rebutting Felder's allegations to be published, it would have to come from either Don or Glenn and I just don't see that happening.

From the perspectives of likely authors of autobiographies, those usually come from persons who are in need of money! Or from persons who have some cause they really feel a burning need to further. I think of David Crosby...he really seemed to have a personal need to tell his story of drug abuse and recovery. I still haven't read his second book that carries him from recovery to basically the present.

From a financial perspective, I don't see Don or Glenn either one as having a need to generate money...unless one or the other had some environmental or political cause they were really wanting to further. I do think they are both way too private to want to drag up the past which might be embarrassing to their families....kids especially. I just don't see it happening.

MikeA

Deleted dyslectic fingers I guess!
    Last edited by MikeA; 08-31-2009 at 04:15 PM.

MikeA

Why did you post that Twice Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Why did you post that Twice Mike?
    I guess in my old age, I've developed a stutter!

MikeA

I agree with Mike - you usually only see autobiographies if the author is hard up for cash, or if he feels it's important to communicate his perspective on certain events in his life. I think Don would be the most likely to write a book because he could state his opinions strongly, and since all the profits would no doubt go to Walden Woods, he could say his autobiography was helping the environment!

I can see Joe doing one just for fun. I'd love it if Glenn did one, and he has joked about it, so who knows? I wouldn't hold my breath, though! As for Tim - I just can't see it. He's too quiet to draw attention to himself that way. A shame, because I'd love to read it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Mike (and yes, the 1231 DOES represent the end of the year - my B-day), I don't disagree with a single thing you wrote in your post. Joe could end up authoring a truly entertaining recount of his life -- at least the parts he remembers. And you're right that he and Timothy have been much more "under the radar" than the others.

I doubt that ANY sort of rebuttal will ever be seen...water under the bridge is best left to flow downstream and, in this case, probably the further the better.

From a financial standpoint, I have no doubt that after the breakup they all learned a valuable lesson about managing their finances and with the cost of tickets and the success of the LROOE tour, can't imagine that any of them are strapped for cash.

And while WE, the fans, may crave as much information as possible, I respect their desire for privacy and leaving the past buried. You make a very valid point that some of their early escapades could be an embarrassment for the next generation of Eagles!
    I just need a little downtime.........