Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Journey

Default Re: Journey

No, I haven't, and unlike you, who I GREATLY admire , I do not know the names of individual members of bands - not even well known bands!

I vaguely remember the lead singer from Loverboy on MTV back in the eighties with his bandana around his head...is that Mike Reno?

Just to give you an idea of how pitiful I am, I saw a little bit from a Steve Miller Band concert on TV several months ago and I was thrilled to finally see what he looks like - had never even seen a picture of him all these years!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    No, I haven't, and unlike you, who I GREATLY admire , I do not know the names of individual members of bands - not even well known bands!
    You're funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid
    I vaguely remember the lead singer from Loverboy on MTV back in the eighties with his bandana around his head...is that Mike Reno?
    That's him. He's definitely changed. Shocking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid
    Just to give you an idea of how pitiful I am, I saw a little bit from a Steve Miller Band concert on TV several months ago and I was thrilled to finally see what he looks like - had never even seen a picture of him all these years!
    That's funny!! He's changed a bit over the years also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Journey is playing at Rally next month and while it's tempting, I feel the same as others...without Steve Perry it wouldn't be the same. My folks went to see them several times 'back inthe day' and I got to go along once or twice. I am, however, going to see Sugarland when they're here! Try to imagine Sugarland playing for 150,00 drunken Harley fanatics! LOL!
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    A friend of mine who has always been a huge Journey fan, was just telling me about this story Saturday night. Arnel really is amazing and sounds like Steve. I will probably buy the cd because I have always liked their music also but I will also admit that I really will miss Steve Perry. It just seems that he was the sound of Journey but maybe this new guy can make believers of me and other hardcore fans after all.

I will have to check this out. I was a huge Journey fan and just can not imagine it without its "voice"

I have heard that Steve Perry has had some serious health issues but why did he stop singing. He had a gift.

I realize what you are saying. That said I truly enjoyed Journey's show. And Arnel Pineda is x1000 better than Steve Augeri when it comes to sounding like Perry.

I have just come to the conclusion that some bands I'll never see the original lineup so I might as well enjoy them while I can. Skynyrd without Ronnie and Allen, Journey without Steve, Eagles without Felder, Boston without Delp, etc etc.

My thoughts on it is that I want to see as many of the original members together while I can, and in the case of LS where only Gary is the original member left, I want to see him play.

That said if they were alive, well, getting along, etc I probably wouldn't go. But sometimes you don't have a choice.

For instance, as much as I love and miss Felder and my thoughts on that, I want to see what I can of the band before god forbid if they wrap it up... I realize not everyone can do that and use that reason, but for me I just want to see some of my heroes before it's too late (Joe w/ Eagles, Neal w/ Journey, etc). And I plan on seeing Felder in his solo show if he ever comes to IL. Honestly I wasn't for sure if I was going to go to this tour but the more I thought and read about it, I'd hate to miss their last tour and not have another chance. This will probably be the last time I see them live unless they do those Vegas residency things and I go out to Vegas and see them. But honestly, I'd probably not cuz I want to remember them by the 3 hour amazing shows and not by a short setlist. That's why I was hesitant also for this tour because when I saw them in '08, it was the full deal. And now that I know it will be a longer set I feel much more comfortable. To make it simple, I want to end it on the best note I possibly can. That's why I went for the best seats I could get and got a suite at the hotel, and am making a lot of fun things to do.

And maybe it's because I see the frontman/lead singer as an equal to the rest of the band that I'm able to do it. To me a guitar player is just as replaceable as a vocalist and vice versa, because even though the lead vocals are very recognizable, with a guitar yes you can play it exact but it won't have that same touch, signature sound, and that spirit of that same guitarist.

A guitar player has just as big of a voice as the singer, but it's admittedly easier to tell with human voice, but every player has their own voice on their instrument and while I can play Joe's licks dead on, it still comes across exact like the record, but it's always clinical sounding or going through the motions because we are unique as players and only Joe sounds exactly like Joe.

And to that end, just like I want to leave it on the best note possible with the Eagles, if I had seen these bands with the original guys, I'd admittedly have a different view. I didn't, so I'm taking what I can get. So to those that have seen him, then I can definitely understand and I'd agree to leave it on the great note with that original member as being the final memory.

But I truly do want to see these bands with as many originals as I can before something happens and they leave or god forbid if one passes.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-04-2013 at 07:48 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Arnel Pineda is amazing and does sound a lot like Steve...but to me Steve Perry was Journey...end of story...just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    Arnel Pineda is amazing and does sound a lot like Steve...but to me Steve Perry was Journey...end of story...just my opinion...

agree 100 %

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    This.

I respect the fact that they have carried on with Arnel Pineda, and he is very talented. But he is NOT Steve Perry. I would pay big money to see them reunite with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    This.

I respect the fact that they have carried on with Arnel Pineda, and he is very talented. But he is NOT Steve Perry. I would pay big money to see them reunite with him.
    oh yeah me too!!!

From what I understand of it, Steve was not willing to tour anymore and they didn't want to quit, so I can't blame them for going on... I agree Steve is a big part of Journey but Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain are huge too. Neal is one of the nicest guys out there in rock n' roll and Jonathan Cain as well and I'm sure they wish Steve would have went on tour with them. But Steve didn't feel up to touring anymore and not liking the fast paced life of the road on his health and was fatigued.

The way I see it is the same with Styx, Dennis DeYoung didn't want to tour and the rest did. One person no matter how important shouldn't stop the others from going out there and no frontman god forbid should expect them to rename the group just because he is no longer there as they both suggested.

I don't put any blame on the guys of Journey for wanting to continue. Steve, like Dennis, just wasn't happy even though they both were running the show, they felt like they had no say-so. I watched both Behind the Music shows and I have to say that I've seen Styx as well and it was great.

I guess I get a little tired of the whole lead singer ego thing and them thinking they are the band. What separates a BAND from an artist with backing musicians is the fact that one member is just as important or replaceable as another. I've never understood the obsession with the lead singer but it doesn't make much sense to me. Just seems to me that lead singers throw fits and let their egos get in the way and ruin great bands because it goes to their head. Axl Rose of GnR is a great example. This idea that the frontman is less replaceable than the guitar player really bothers me. To me a band is a team and they should all have equal say-so. Otherwise it's the "insert singer here" show with a bunch of sidemen, which is no fun. The lead guitarist is just as important to me in a band and is just as deserving of praise as a lead singer. That's why I prefer lead singer over "frontman". As I said, it should be equal. I realize Don Henley disagrees with me, lol, as he said they can't all be leaders in a band but I humbly disagree.

Aerosmith is a great example of how it should be, two front guys. The guitar player is as revered as the singer. Joe Perry and Steven Tyler are a team and while they have fights, they both are equally not replaceable. Maybe it's my bias as a guitar player. When Joe left, and Steven was still there people hated it. That's how it should be. The guitarist is just as important to the voice of the band.

If Steve would tour, that would be great but I really don't put any blame on Neal Schon or Jonathan Cain. It was Steve's decision, not like he was fired.

I've heard some stories that his health is in bad shape, etc but I'd go see a reunion in a heartbeat. He IS a fantastic singer and I do love great lead singers, but I just don't like it when a band becomes all about one member.

It's really Steve's call. I'm sure Neal and Jonathan would accept him back if he would/could do it.

/rant
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-05-2013 at 12:21 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."