Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Journey

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Journey

Yes, be sure to tell us about it!

I don't know, I don't really care to see them live without Steve Perry. I know the new guy is great, but...... But that's just me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Yes, be sure to tell us about it!

I don't know, I don't really care to see them live without Steve Perry. I know the new guy is great, but...... But that's just me.
    I understand what you mean - but for me I go to concerts to enjoy the songs and hear them and for entertainment value. I used to feel that way about bands without certain important members. Lynyrd Skynyrd with only Gary as the original, Eagles without Felder, KISS without Ace and Peter, Journey without Steve, etc but I just go to have fun and as long as they put on a good show I will go. I also think the new guy sounds scarily close to Steve. Also, from what I'm hearing lately Steve can no longer sing anymore and has lost his voice so it's not like the rest of Journey is holding them back. Most of the time as long as they do the tunes right, sound great, and whatnot I will go. Otherwise if I didn't I'd probably not go to an Eagles show without Felder. I sorely miss him and I could even go on as far as to say "it isn't the same band without him". But I go because the new guy does a close enough job and I just go to have a good time and to hear music and see the show (gimmicks or lightworks, etc) and so on.

But I understand what you mean and once a band loses an original member some just will not go and see them. And I respect that, but I personally never got to see the "real" Skynyrd, Journey, KISS, Eagles w/ Felder, etc so I am settling for the next best thing. As long as they put on a good show, that's all that matters.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, but for me, losing the voice of the band (or voices in the Eagles case) is a very big part to lose. I'd never go see the Eagles without Glenn and Don H. But that's just me.

But I'm sure it will be a good show, Austin. Have fun and tell us all about it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Yeah for me I see it as all being equal contributions. I know a lot of people though tend to focus most on the lead singers/frontmen and have always wondered why that is.

I will definitely give a report!

ETA: Just scored 2nd row seats! Front row had already been sold out as I didn't hear about it until yesterday and they had been onsale since the 15th.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-22-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I must have missed that Steve left the band, it was news to me.

But I'll tell you what...I clicked on a song of Journey's, a live version of Don't Stop Believing in Manila..and I hear Steve's voice but I looked a little closer..and discovered it wasn't him at all but this diminutive guy with a BIG voice. He absolutely blew me away. At first I thought, he has to be lip-synching, nobody can sing like that and not be a fake.

I like to keep an open mind about replacement front men, to me it's like a rejuvenation of a younger Steve..it could be Steve in his younger days.

Arnel has had such a sad life, I always say that the greatest singers today came from the school of hard knocks and it made me cry watching his story on Oprah..so I always go for the soul first. I have never seen such energy on stage in awhile so in my mind, he's earned the right to be there. If they come out here I'd very likely go and see them.

So have fun, you lucky thing!!
    Last edited by BramwenR; 06-23-2012 at 03:44 AM.
    I See what You see...

Thanks!

Yes Arnel's story is very sad yet with a happy turnaround when he got to join Journey. I think there is a movie or documentary/short film coming out about his life. Amazing singer. Definitely hits the Steve Perry stuff way better than Steve Augeri (Journey's first replacement singer for Perry).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Yes, very sad. I looked at a lot of video on him yesterday, the doco should be very interesting. I never knew about Auguri, see how behind the times I am!! But Arnel nails those Perry notes and then some. What an exciting singer!
    I See what You see...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Count me also as one who will not see them without Steve. I also believe Arnell has a wonderful very Steve Perry kind of voice but Journey is not Journey, for me, without Steve. He made those songs hits.

I also think he got a very raw deal when the reunion was coming together and he hurt his hip. I've even seen stories where the other band members claim it was just an excuse for him not to go out on tour and that they didn't even think he hurt his hip and that the reason he was putting off the surgery at that time was because he wasn't hurt and if so, not that bad. The year they actually went out on tour with the other Steve, 1998 I think?, was the year Steve finally had to have the surgery. He was told by doctors that by the end of the year, he'd be good to go. The band didn't wait. In an interview with Steve (I want to say it might of even been Behind The Music?), he stated how upsetting this was. At that point was when I said I will never see Journey again.

As for his voice, I don't know for sure, but what I've heard of it, I don't think it's changed that much. He's done a few odds & ends I've seen and he sounded good to me. My favorite was at the ball game where he lead the unsuspecting crowd in Don't Stop Believing. I'm sure the video's been posted here before, but here it is again. Love the way the camera scans around to see what's going on and then at about :45, there's Steve and the look on the crowd's faces around him. Priceless!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P-DpMFd8_A[/ame]
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 06-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

TBF, I'm so glad you posted that video again! I was thinking of it while reading the current posts in this thread.

A few weeks ago we were watching a wonderful Foreigner concert on Palladia (TV). Afterwards a Journey concert came on and the sound was absolutely terrible! Not sure if it was the band or the audio but we had to turn it off after the first song.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    I'm working on getting tickets to see Journey on September 19th. Pat Benatar and Loverboy are opening.
    Loverboy!!! Now there's a blast from the past!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post

Loverboy!!! Now there's a blast from the past!
    Have you seen them lately? It's been a couple years but I was shocked! They sounded good but they haven't, shall we say?, aged well. Mike Reno looks like he should be driving truck or something. It was just strange. I've seen so many of my aging rock stars over the years but for some reason, Loverboy is the one that has shocked me more than any of the others on how much they had changed.
    He sings it high, he plays it low