Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Funny Local Expressions

Default Re: Funny Local Expressions

It's interesting how many sayings we share, just with slight differences. We say "preaching to the converted" (instead of choir) and "don't get your knickers in a twist". Another one that means the same as the latter is "keep your hair on!"

If one of us is standing in front of the TV, my grandad always says "You make a good door, but not a very good window." Self-explanatory, I think!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

"Took off like a scared rabbit"

I was so hungry that my stomach was beginning to think my throat was cut!

Coffee was strong enough to float a horseshoe.

You got a bee in your bonnet? Who put a nickel in you? Expressions describing someone who speaks out of turn...uninvited.

MikeA

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    It's interesting how many sayings we share, just with slight differences. We say "preaching to the converted" (instead of choir) and "don't get your knickers in a twist". Another one that means the same as the latter is "keep your hair on!"

If one of us is standing in front of the TV, my grandad always says "You make a good door, but not a very good window." Self-explanatory, I think!
    My dad always used to say to us 'You're beautiful but not transparent in that situation. The teenagers in the school where I teach have a less complimentary expression 'You may be a pain but you're not Glass'

When hubby and I are planning something to do with the kids we plan it ourselves first so that if there are any decisions to be made - his quote- 'we are singing off the same hymnsheet'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I just came across one that I thought was pretty much universal, but my friend hadn't heard it before. I said I was still taking the pain killers so I may just spend the day "vegging out" I had to explain that meant laying around doing nothing.

"Chompin' at the bit"

Refers to the bit of the bridle used in riding horses.

Expression is used to indicate someone's impatience:

"I'm chompin' at the bit to get hold of the Les Paul that should be in my hands in three days!"

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

I just heard this used for the first time this season:

"Lake effect snow"

Ah, the joy of living in a cold snowy region next to a large lake!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Ticky-gotta say that I can't believe your friend had never heard vegging out before!

I thought of one last night----Like putting 10 pounds of sh** in a 5 pound bag. Pretty easy to figure that one out.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah TBF - the mental image of that one is well ... uhmm ... you know!

And speaking of mental images, Molly please - you're really creeping out us Southerners with all that 'lake effect snow' stuff!!! (And OBTW, a little off topic, but congrats to Troubadour Molly!)

And finally, speaking of 'vegging out', it reminded me of anpther one we use a lot. Even though this really has nothing to do with vegging out, we say two people are like "two peas in a pod" whenever they look or act alike.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Someone suggested this needed to be here. Strictly a "Hillbilly" expression to denote astonishment:

"I've been around the world 4 times, been to 7 county fairs and 3 hog killin's and ain't never seen nuthin' like that before!"

If you think that is an exaggeration, well it isn't. There is a place on Beaver Lake near Fayetteville, Arkansas called "Hog Scald" where the pig farmers would gather back in the hills to butcher pork. It's for real. Or was "real" 60 or 70 years ago. There's even a road sign marking it. I couldn't see it on Streets & Trips, but it's there. I've seen it on motorcycle rides and had heard of it long before I ever saw the place!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Someone suggested this needed to be here. Strictly a "Hillbilly" expression to denote astonishment:

"I've been around the world 4 times, been to 7 county fairs and 3 hog killin's and ain't never seen nuthin' like that before!"

If you think that is an exaggeration, well it isn't. There is a place on Beaver Lake near Fayetteville, Arkansas called "Hog Scald" where the pig farmers would gather back in the hills to butcher pork. It's for real. Or was "real" 60 or 70 years ago. There's even a road sign marking it. I couldn't see it on Streets & Trips, but it's there. I've seen it on motorcycle rides and had heard of it long before I ever saw the place!
    Growing up amongst farmers, I believe you Mike. I guess my Uncle Gerald's farm would be known as the local "Hog Scald". I witnessed it once when I was about 10 years old and never went back. I still cringe everytime I think of it.

I thought of another of my Dad's gems. Whenever he heard any of the music I was listening to, he comment "That guy couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow!"