Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny Local Expressions

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Funny Local Expressions

Hey EV, Welcome home!
    Or(uh)Gun works but you're probably from Eastern Oregon or Southern Oregon. Portlanders are usually Or-E-gun with the emphasis on the OR, but that could also be a backlash from UofO in Eugene...

I thought of a couple more I didnt ad in my last "tyrade"

Jimminy Christmas!- instead of using JC's name in vane.. and I usually add Peas n Carrots! for instance "Well Jimminy Christmas Peas n Carrots! The Eagles are doing ANOTHER show in Missouri?? What the heck???" *G*

Similar to Ticky's "Peas in a Pod": Alike as peas in a pod.

In Arkansas, I grew up being called "String Bean" or "Bean Pole". That was the usual description for any 90 lb weakling and I was (and still am) the poster child for that expression.

BTW, 90 lb weakling was taken from comic book advertisements back in the 50's nad 60's. Every one of them had a add with some scrawny kid getting sand kicked in his face on the beach by some Charles Atlas type! "For only $3 and 90 days you too can be the envy of everyone!"

MikeA

Last night my sister reminded me of a common one when she replied to a statement my brother said with "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China?" - Basically saying that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Molly, I absolutely LOVED your list! I know someone from vet school from Toledo, OH, who said "Cripes!" a lot...he also used the expression "Cool beans!" when something was exciting... go figure. I really liked "Un-thaw" and especially "Start wit me last"--priceless!
    Thanks! But I pride myself in NOT using these expressions! Someone just told me recently that while hubby sounded like he was from Wisconsin, I didn't -and I was thrilled!

A lot of it is from a heavy German influence in this area. People (especially older people) have a habit of putting a "SCH" (pronounced SHHH) on the front of words that don't have it .

Example, if you go to a Friday fish fry, you might decide to have smelt. Expect, you might pronounce it SHMELT.

We have a doctor at our hospital named Smale and when he would get overhead paged by our older switchboard operator, she would say "Paging Dr. SHMALE." He wasn't from Wisconsin, so he'd get this confused look on his face. He asked me once, "Who says SHMALE?" And I told him, the same people who eat SHMELT.

lol!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    Last night my sister reminded me of a common one when she replied to a statement my brother said with "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China?" - Basically saying that has nothing to do with what we were talking about.
    LOL.....that brought to mind the quote you used "Price of Tea in China".

In one definition, it had nothing to do with Tea or China either necessarily. It was a reference by boots in the Armed Services to the price charged in Houses of Ill Repute in various locations around the world.

But it also carries the straight forward definition too....having to do with the way all things impact the economy including even the Price of Tea in China.

MikeA

We use "what's that got to do with the price of peas?" over here!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

And we say "what's that got to do with the price of cabbage?"
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Six of one half dozen of another...

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Six of one half dozen of another...
    I use that one all the time, drives Cliff (mathematician) nuts hehehe.

Another one I thought of (as I was using it) was "Too big for his britches" meaning someone who thinks they're more important then they are, as in "$500 for EAGLES TICKETS?? Irving Azoff is getting too big for his britches!"