Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny Local Expressions

Default Re: Funny Local Expressions

I just used the expression "high on the hog" in another thread!

Livin' high on the hog - living in a way that only the rich can afford to do. Each of the Eagles has enough money to live high on the hog and buy anything he likes!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I just used the expression "high on the hog" in another thread!

Livin' high on the hog - living in a way that only the rich can afford to do. Each of the Eagles has enough money to live high on the hog and buy anything he likes!
    In Arkansas, we are in "Tall Cotton".

"Jest got my Social Security check...I'm in tall cotton now!"

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    EV, that reminds me. When we refer to Chicago, it is "the city". Example: I'm going into the city to see a concert at the House of Blues. Sure, there may be other cities out there to other people, but for Chicagoans, there is only ONE city.
    HUH?? I thought that was NY?!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    HUH?? I thought that was NY?!

Nope, we use "the city" here too for Oklahoma City.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while but everytime i log on I forget which expressions i was going to post. At the moment I do remember a few so here goes....

We do say pop here instead of soda. Hearing somebody say soda sounds weird to me. When my cousin moved from Oklahoma to Florida a few years ago, she said people there made fun of her for saying pop. By the time she moved back to OK this past May she was saying soda. I had to tell her "You're back in Oklahoma now, you better say that right "

Throwing Down/Throw Down- This could have several meanings. It could mean that people are fighting. Ex. "Glenn and Don's argument got a little too heated and now they are throwing down right here in the studio." I also use it for when I'm driving. I tend to drive a little fast and my new car can definitely throw down, especially when I need to merge onto the highway.

Tore It- Used after a night of drinking. "Did you see how much we drank last night? Man, we really tore it but we sure had fun."

One of the things I say a lot is yall. At times, I tend to type the way I speak. I'm sure i've even used that word here on the boards many times.

Many of you know that I am a full blood Native American. We have a lot of our own expressions. One is the way we say Indian. We pronounce it "Inden." Another one is "buh". It's just an expression that doesn't really mean anything in particular. Example: "Oh buh, I didn't know you were going to be here." Saying "Annit" is kind of like saying "isn't it" but it can also be an expression like "buh." "Aye" is another word we use that doesn't really have a meaning. It's pronounced just like saying the letter A. I can't even think of an example of how we use it. I guess you'd just have to hear it (along with the other words I've mentioned) to really understand. As far as I know, "buh", "annit", and "aye" aren't actual words from a specific tribal language, they are just words/expressions that are used by Indians.

I remember reading in this thread that somebody mentioned using time for distance. We do that here too. When someone asks you how far it is to a certain place, the response would be something like "It's only about 15 minutes from my house to the city" instead of just saying how many miles it is. We also say "up there", "down there", or "over there" when talking about a city/town north, south, east or west of where you live. "You're dad is going to Lawton tomorrow. Are you going to meet him down there?". Also, saying "up" or "down" works too "We're going up to the city, are you coming with us?"

I know there's more but my mind is starting to draw a blank now.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

You're "Yall" expression is used a lot in Arkansas too. "Y'all" is the singular and "All Y'all" is the plural.

"Y'all goin over to Mike's house, John? Why don't All Y'all go over there so I can get the yard mowed."

MikeA

I haven't lived in Dallas since I was three and I still say (and type) y'all.

One I DON'T use, but get in all kinds of discussions with my East Coast friends is where you are if you are waiting with a bunch of people.

Me: I'm IN line to get my Eagles concert tickets.
    EC: I'm ON line to get my Eagles concert tickets.

But there's no line to stand on?!
    You better put it all behind you baby, ‘cause life goes on,
    You keep carryin’ that anger, it’ll eat you up inside…
    Heart of the Matter

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Okay, here's one that ALWAYS messed me up in NY.. I have NEVER heard it used anywhere else.. occasionally as a joke I'll use it here.. but it has NO meaning anywhere else as far as I can see.. now since it's been 30+ years since I've lived there, perhaps, if I get it wrong, some of your east coasters can correct me.

Coffee regular = Black coffee with two creamers and three sugars.

When we went to NY I drank my coffee black.. to ME that's regular... every time they asked me if I wanted my coffee regular.. I thought "yeah, black.. nothing in it.. regular." after the 2nd year I finally got it but by then, I took my coffee regular. Go figure...

ANOTHER east coast/New York expression I learned and STILL use is

Fagitaboutit = (Fah)-GI-tabow-(tit), For Get About It- meaning it's beyond comprehension. "Didja see the the Jets game last night? FaGitaboutit! They got Stomped!" helps if you add a heavy Brooklyn accent with it.

like I said, it's been 30+ years so I may have lost some of the translation but I very clearly remember the expressions themselves.

Stuck on the Border

Having just gotten back from Jersey, I can tell you that one phrase they DON'T use there is "self service" gas station.

We could have run out of gas looking for one!

Wow, that's a shocker! I didn't think folks still did full-service anywhere anymore.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Self service isnt legal in Oregon. I know, weird, we dont have sales tax either.