Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny Local Expressions

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Funny Local Expressions

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Self service isnt legal in Oregon. I know, weird, we dont have sales tax either.
    That doesn't sound weird, that sounds like paradise!

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    That doesn't sound weird, that sounds like paradise!

Right Molly! I pay at the pump and I never see the person working at the gas station, ever! No sales tax, OM, paradise is right. Try adding 10% to everything you buy!

I am SO moving to Oregon.
    You better put it all behind you baby, ‘cause life goes on,
    You keep carryin’ that anger, it’ll eat you up inside…
    Heart of the Matter

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

You know this is funny, but here in Virginia we have nothing but self serve gas. I cannot even think of one single full service gas station anywhere here. I just figured it was like this everywhere until I went up to visit my aunt in Massachusetts last month. It is exactly the opposite - nothing but full service stations up there. Just curious, but wonder if this has something to do with various state laws? To the best of my knowledge, there is no law in Virginia regarding this.

And now to bring this back to expressions, one of the things they say in Massachusetts is that someone is 'fresh'. I think it means mischievous or misbehaving as in "Don't get fresh with me." During my visit, my aunt who lives in Nashville was also there. We always love getting the Nashville folks together with the Bostonians. Once they get going, it's hard to figure out what either of them are saying.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Just curious, but wonder if this has something to do with various state laws? To the best of my knowledge, there is no law in Virginia regarding this.
    Exactly. Oregonians have voted down both Self Service Gas Stations and Sales Taxes many, many times. It's kind of a state pride thing I guess but on the other hand we have enormous property taxes and our housing costs are through the roof. We also get a lot of rain.. I mean a LOT of rain... we're webbed footed for a reason. quack..

Thought of a few more.

"I'm gonna run to the store" Of course this means that i'm driving to the store and not running.

"Mom, i'm gonna throw in a load of laundry" I think you get the jist here.

"I'm gonna jump in the shower" could also be said as "I'm gonna hop in the shower" This could be really dangerous but if you literally jump or hop in the shower. Of course we don't really do that.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Someone else mentioned it...about self-service gas stations. I'd never thought about it! In Kansas and in Arkansas (and Oklahoma as far as I know)...everything is self-service when it comes to fuel. There are many "stations" that don't even have an attendant...plastic only!

KOALA

Are you reading this thread and taking notes? I can only imagine how confusing it is to you!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    KOALA

Are you reading this thread and taking notes? I can only imagine how confusing it is to you!
    Yes, I read every posting of this thread! I love it!
    It is very interesting and yeah, at the same time totally confusing for me!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Thought of a few more.

"I'm gonna run to the store" Of course this means that i'm driving to the store and not running.

"Mom, i'm gonna throw in a load of laundry" I think you get the jist here.

"I'm gonna jump in the shower" could also be said as "I'm gonna hop in the shower" This could be really dangerous but if you literally jump or hop in the shower. Of course we don't really do that.
    Jess, we use all of those, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Okay, here's one that ALWAYS messed me up in NY.. I have NEVER heard it used anywhere else.. occasionally as a joke I'll use it here.. but it has NO meaning anywhere else as far as I can see.. now since it's been 30+ years since I've lived there, perhaps, if I get it wrong, some of your east coasters can correct me.

Coffee regular = Black coffee with two creamers and three sugars.

When we went to NY I drank my coffee black.. to ME that's regular... every time they asked me if I wanted my coffee regular.. I thought "yeah, black.. nothing in it.. regular." after the 2nd year I finally got it but by then, I took my coffee regular. Go figure...

ANOTHER east coast/New York expression I learned and STILL use is

Fagitaboutit = (Fah)-GI-tabow-(tit), For Get About It- meaning it's beyond comprehension. "Didja see the the Jets game last night? FaGitaboutit! They got Stomped!" helps if you add a heavy Brooklyn accent with it.

like I said, it's been 30+ years so I may have lost some of the translation but I very clearly remember the expressions themselves.
    You got that right!!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 09-24-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...