I'll continue using the scale below to rate the songs for all of the remaining albums as we celebrate their anniversaries. Since I do think The Long Run is one of the band’s more uneven albums, I have a lot more '3's' than I usually do. But, as I said before, with the Eagles, even their worst album if above average, IMHO. So by no means do I think this one is bad – I like all of the songs and enjoy listening to it from start to finish.

I Love It

Heartache Tonight (5) – There’s not much I can add about this awesome, grammy-winning rocker. I can never pick a single favorite Eagles song, but this one is clearly in the top 5 on my list on any day.

The Long Run (5) – This Memphis blues song’s music is so catchy, and I love the lyrics too. I pretty much agree with everything Soda said about it. I’m afraid I don’t understand Freypower’s comment about this song not aging well. All I can say, is I still very much enjoy it and so do my young nieces. The song still gets substantial radio play here in the States, so I'm not sure what is dated about it.

I Can’t Tell You Why (5) – Again, nothing much to say that hasn’t already been mentioned about this simply beautiful ballad. Welcome to the band, Timothy!

The Sad Cafe (5) – Once again, Soda already said it. I will say, that even though Don does a beautiful job lyrically with this song, I always thought that it was well-suited for Glenn’s voice. I daresay that we’ll probably never know though. Glenn could have used another lead vocal on the album, and I just think this would have been a good one.

I Really Like It

Those Shoes (4) – Yes, Soda talk boxes apparently can be very sexy. ‘Nuff said.

King of Hollywood (4) – Now this is where Soda’s and my opinions begin to differ regarding this album. I think this is a great song. Both the lyrics and music are exceptional. Even though the subject is a bonafide slime ball, I still enjoy listening to the story – kind of a precursor to Richard Marx’ song, Don’t Mean Nothing. While Soda’s interpretation of the last two lines of the song are valid, I always thought of them more as a metaphor for integrity, decency, or honor i.e. once you see this guy for what he really is, you know he is just a dishonorable, distrustful power junkie a.k.a. a low-life.

I Like It

In the City (3) – I like this song and it absolutely rocks live, but it not one of my favorites. The music and Joe’s vocals are great, but the lyrics and melody are average, and the chorus is a bit too repetitive for me.

The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks (3) – I think this song is so funny – it cracks me up every time I hear it, especially when Glenn (I think) yells “gator”. Okay, yes, maybe it is a bit sophomoric, but it is also pretty clever, and a big departure from anything the band had done before. The music is a bit repetitive, but it still rocks.

Teenage Jail (3) – Okay, while I agree that this is not the band’s best work, neither do I think it is horrible. I guess their experiment to reach out to a younger audience didn’t work that well. I like Glenn’s vocals, and the lyrics and guitars are very effective in creating a “teenage jail”. I’m not crazy about Don’s echo in the second verse, but it’s effective in achieving a mood of teenage turmoil. I enjoy listening to the song when I play the album, but it won’t make it on any “best of” compilation.

The Disco Strangler (3) – Okay, I’m somewhere in between Soda and Freypower in my feelings about this song. While I don’t think it is hard-core suckage, I also don’t think it is hugely underrated. The song is no better than average in any area – musically, lyrically, vocally, or melodically. If it is not the worst song the band ever recorded, it sure is close. Having said that, I still enjoy listening to it enough to earn a 3 rating on the scale.

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes