Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

I like Teenage Jail! Not half as much as I like Heartache Tonight, but I won't skip it if it comes on.

We are now up to 7. Can we reach 10?!

Chaim - I wish I knew. I'd almost say it sounds like a Joe riff but I could be wrong. That string bending sounds Life's Been Good-ish. I'm just guessing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, Heartache Tonight clearly ranks near the top of my Eagles favorite songs. It is out-of-this-world awesome IMHO!

And you can also count me in as one who likes Teenage Jail. Here's what I wrote in my album review near the beginning of this thread ...

"Okay, while I agree that this is not the band’s best work, neither do I think it is horrible. I guess their experiment to reach out to a younger audience didn’t work that well. I like Glenn’s vocals, and the lyrics and guitars are very effective in creating a “teenage jail”. I’m not crazy about Don’s echo in the second verse, but it’s effective in achieving a mood of teenage turmoil. I enjoy listening to the song when I play the album, but it won’t make it on any “best of” compilation".

I still feel pretty much the same way about it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

As I done throughout this month, I thought it would be a good idea to highlight all of the band's grammys. So here's another one ...

On this day in 1980, Heartache Tonight won for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus.
    This is an awesome song and the honor was very well deserved. It turned out to be the last grammy the band won for their '70's catalog ... a great way to close out the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    On this day in 1980, Heartache Tonight won for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus.
    This is an awesome song and the honor was very well deserved. It turned out to be the last grammy the band won for their '70's catalog ... a great way to close out the decade.
    Oh, I have to tell a story that happened to me yesterday morning. My bff had her second cataract surgery, and I was her "responsible party." (Hey, no comments from the Peanut Gallery!) I got up rather early, headed to Cincinnati, and I was listening to the Cincinnati radio station to get traffic updates. There is too much talk on radio to normally keep my interest very long. I pulled into her driveway, texted her, and she came out to get in the car just as Heartache Tonight comes on. I'm thinking, "Oh, cool!" just as she says, "The radio is too loud. Can you turn it down?" Uh, what?! Then I remember she's the one having surgery, so I turned it down.

Now that I've told that story, I need to listen to the song...

Ha ha that's funny! I always turn up Heartache Tonight! Crank it up!

I have a funny story too. Way back when I was in high school, there was this guy who was a lead singer in a band, totally looked the part. Ya know? Jean jacket, jeans long brown feathered hair, aviators you get the idea...well he dated my friend and they were in a bit of a tiff, and then Heartache Tonight came on (what timing) and he got totally into it cranked it we were all rockin in the car, ha ha . And then the bickering commenced after the song ended. Cruising down the street in his old Monte Carlo.

Everytime I hear Heartache Tonight I think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Ha ha that's funny! I always turn up Heartache Tonight! Crank it up!

I have a funny story too. Way back when I was in high school, there was this guy who was a lead singer in a band, totally looked the part. Ya know? Jean jacket, jeans long brown feathered hair, aviators you get the idea...well he dated my friend and they were in a bit of a tiff, and then Heartache Tonight came on (what timing) and he got totally into it cranked it we were all rockin in the car, ha ha . And then the bickering commenced after the song ended. Cruising down the street in his old Monte Carlo.

Everytime I hear Heartache Tonight I think of that.
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where all conversation had to stop for "Desperado." lol!

Sometimes I wish I could make everyone stop talking when my fave song comes on.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 41st Birthday to the Long Run.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Happy #41, Long Run!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Although I think the album is somewhat uneven, I still love it. But, then again, I love every Eagles album.