Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Quote Originally Posted by takeiteasy View Post
    Don´t feel so lonely cosec, I don´t like Heartache Tonight either.
    In fact my favorite song of The Long Run is King of Hollywood: good lyrics, excellent voice (Henley) and terrific guitars.
    It´s perfect!
    Yeah King of Hollywood is just great! The guitars are great!! The live versions are even better. Check out the 1980 The Forum version. It must be available in Spain.

I saw the previous threads from the beginning, and I incline with the notion that they did it in a creepy way purposely. The lyrics and the intimidating singing are perfect for each other, a perfect marriage, if you may.

Interesting thing of Teenage Jail about appealing to teenagers. Me and my Eagle friends like it. And we are both in that age group.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    I see. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like Heartache Tonight here. But I really like Teenage Jail lol. That oughta be polarizing.
    I'm not a big fan of Heartache Tonight either, cosec. To be honest, I probably liked it when it came out and was on the radio. I'm sure I liked it in concert in 1980, but that was true of most of the "rocker" songs. I enjoyed them in concert, but not as much on the albums.

This is my list;
    1. Sad Cafe
    2. King of Hollywood
    3. I Can't Tell You Why
    4. The Long Run
    5. Heartache Tonight
    6. Those Shoes
    7. In the City
    8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    9. Disco Strangler
    10. Teenage Jail

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Heartache Tonight either, cosec. To be honest, I probably liked it when it came out and was on the radio. I'm sure I liked it in concert in 1980, but that was true of most of the "rocker" songs. I enjoyed them in concert, but not as much on the albums.

This is my list;
    1. Sad Cafe
    2. King of Hollywood
    3. I Can't Tell You Why
    4. The Long Run
    5. Heartache Tonight
    6. Those Shoes
    7. In the City
    8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    9. Disco Strangler
    10. Teenage Jail
    Nice to see that we are on more common ground!

And actually, as you said about rockers, they are more epic live than in studio. That's exactly why I don't really listen to the records for rockers. I almost always listen to bootlegs. Even a poor quality recording but with a great performance is always better than the studio version to me. Though even in bootleg form, Heartache Tonight is lackluster. It is way too similar and live versions are very superfluous to me because it is way too similar to the studio version. All the others have something a bit different. This is why, the tour is not necessarily a hit with me that much. Too much similarity. And the jams reduced.

And also, where did you see them in 1980?
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Yeah King of Hollywood is just great! The guitars are great!! The live versions are even better. Check out the 1980 The Forum version. It must be available in Spain.

I saw the previous threads from the beginning, and I incline with the notion that they did it in a creepy way purposely. The lyrics and the intimidating singing are perfect for each other, a perfect marriage, if you may.

Interesting thing of Teenage Jail about appealing to teenagers. Me and my Eagle friends like it. And we are both in that age group.

Yeah, I will check out The Forum concert. Thanks. I´m sure the live version is still better.

"intimidating singing" "a perfect marriage" between lyrics and singing. Just what I wanted to say!

Border Rebel

cosec- I saw them at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, June 18, 1980. That is another concert that is not listed on their data, but I do have a concert ticket and t-shirt with the dates on them.(Bought the ticket stub on ebay and the shirt from etsy). I also have a couple of concert reviews from the newspapers from the day after the concert. They played in Pittsburgh the day before, I believe.

Unlike you, I do love the studio versions of most songs. When I say I preferred the rockers live, I mean truly live and in concert. It was just a great experience to have a whole arena rocking, clapping and dancing. The guitar riffs would go right through you and you could feel the reverberation from your head to your toes!

I don't have any live albums, only the 40th anniversary HC disc. I also don't listen to any bootlegs except for the Riverfront Stadium 1978 concert that you provided a link to. I love listening to that one because I was there and it takes me back to a very special day! I am very grateful to have it!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - I recalculated our poll results to include My My's list. Again - the only change is that The Sad Café overtook Those Shoes for the 4th spot. So, it looks like, besides the top vote-getter, Heartache Tonight, the secondary winner is The Sad Café. It has gained two spots, moving up from 6th place in our original poll. The rest of the order remains unchanged ...

1. Heartache Tonight - 191 points
    2. I Can't Tell You Why - 165 points
    3. The Long Run - 152 points
    4. The Sad Café - 146 points
    5. Those Shoes - 143 points
    6. In the City - 126 points
    7. King of Hollywood - 124 points
    8. The Greek Don't Want No Freaks - 74 points
    9. Teenage Jail - 50 points
    10. The Disco Strangler - 39 points

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

Thanks for doing this, Dreamer. Sorry I was late getting my list in. It's taken me a while to adjust to the new board and I hadn't really followed the threads too closely.

Happy the big 4-0 to the Eagles last 70s album. Also their last 70s album to turn 40.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I love this album. 💗 Happy Birthday to The Long Run! 🎂

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Happy Birthday Long Run!
    Those Shoes just smokes!!
    also love “long run”, heartache tonight, sad cafe, i can’t tell you why, in the city of course. It’s a solid album!!
    Critics back then had too much power, any other band that had that many hits on one album would’ve been cheered, but because The Long Run had the daunting task of following the hugely successful “Hotel California”, critics dismissed it. It’s a shame they didn’t stay together too much pressure and excess, but The Long Run should definitely get respect!