Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

I see PEF both ways - happy as Soda said but I also see the dark side too where he could mean it either way. Great songwriting.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Gosh ...this album brings back soooo many memories.....I was so excited the actually really see these guys for the 1st time......

Soda, that song by song review was great!
    I never thought of TLR as a particularly "dark" album. It is a bit of a downer, but to me "dark" is too strong a word. Overall I really like it. Afterall, it has 2 of my very favorite songs on it - Heartache Tonight & I Can't Tell You Why. I absolutely love both of them! By it's name HT sounds like it would be a downer. Glenn describes it as a "romp" & that is how I hear it. I love rocking out to it!

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would agree with this if in the case of Teenage Jail he had in fact sung the entire song; why he didn't I will never know & unfortunately because it is the worst track on the album it isn't much of a showcase.
    I have to agree with Soda's opinion of TDS. It is the only Eagles' song that I can't stand. I think it is the worst song on the album by far. I didn't even put it on my iPod! However, I do think that TJ is clearly the 2nd worst.

There are a couple of tracks on this album which most people love & which I now find boring and/or tedious. Normally when we talk about the album most people criticise Teenage Jail & Greeks & in Soda's case The Disco Strangler. For me it's The Long Run & In The City, both of which are in the band's current setlist, both of which I really don't care for at all, but I realise that I am alone in that opinion.
    I think TGDWNF is a fun song. I thought that it was nonsensical until I heard Don & Glenn explain the lyrics in an interview when promoting TLR. I agree with you about ITC, FP. I have never cared for it & I do wish they would drop it from their setlist.

If they did drop ITC I'd certainly hope they'd keep at least one or two of his solo tunes. Joe needs to sing too. I probably am alone in this but to me, he's just as good of a singer as Henley and Frey - in his own rock n' roll way. He's got a raw rock voice. I also love his solo version of LITFL.

I like ITC - I think it's a good song. I also like the title track....

I like Greeks as well. Can't stand "Strangler", "Jail", "Hollywood", etc. Those are the only three on the album I really don't like. I love Those Shoes though. I think it's quite underrated. That talkbox solo is killer and I love the whole song.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    If they did drop ITC I'd certainly hope they'd keep at least one or two of his solo tunes. Joe needs to sing too. I probably am alone in this but to me, he's just as good of a singer as Henley and Frey - in his own rock n' roll way. He's got a raw rock voice. I also love his solo version of LITFL.
    I'd want them to keep his solo stuff too. I suppose they keep ITC so that Joe has an "Eagles' " song to sing & it is the most up tempo of his band songs.

I think he has a good voice too. It is so different from either Don's or Glenn's or Timothy's (love his voice too). I think that is one of the attractions of the band. They have 4 "lead" singers with very different voices & thus they have great variety.

Looking over the set list of the AC concert, they played 4 songs off this album.
    The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why, Heartache Tonight, & In the City.

The only song that I wouldn't mind being dropped from the set list would have to be The Long Run....I think this song is overrated. I'm not sure if this was a "hit" for them, but the song really doesn't do anything for me. It's one of those songs that I can take it or leave it, and I think there would be other songs I would prefer to hear at a show over this one. Just my opinion..

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Looking over the set list of the AC concert, they played 4 songs off this album.
    The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why, Heartache Tonight, & In the City.

The only song that I wouldn't mind being dropped from the set list would have to be The Long Run....I think this song is overrated. I'm not sure if this was a "hit" for them, but the song really doesn't do anything for me. It's one of those songs that I can take it or leave it, and I think there would be other songs I would prefer to hear at a show over this one. Just my opinion..
    For what it's worth I agree with you.

They have to keep "In the City" in the setlist - Joe has to sing at least ONE Eagles song! It's kind of a sad statement they they seem to believe none of his other Eagles material is worthy of inclusion, so they have to resort to solo and James Gang hits to fill out the set - but then again, like Tim, Joe has so little Eagles material to choose from. I can see the problem.

The cool thing about "The Long Run" live is that it is kind of a theme song because they've "gone the distance" indeed, and I like the whole audience participation thing where Tim encourages us to clap and stand.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    They have to keep "In the City" in the setlist - Joe has to sing at least ONE Eagles song! It's kind of a sad statement they they seem to believe none of his other Eagles material is worthy of inclusion, so they have to resort to solo and James Gang hits to fill out the set - but then again, like Tim, Joe has so little Eagles material to choose from. I can see the problem.

The cool thing about "The Long Run" live is that it is kind of a theme song because they've "gone the distance" indeed, and I like the whole audience participation thing where Tim encourages us to clap and stand.
    Well, perhaps. When I have seen TLR live nobody has been encouraged to clap & stand, and I think it's one of the most undistinguished lyrics they have ever written, 'distance' or not. And the end of it is just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I think he has a good voice too. It is so different from either Don's or Glenn's or Timothy's (love his voice too). I think that is one of the attractions of the band. They have 4 "lead" singers with very different voices & thus they have great variety.
    Exactly. And I admit I like the solo songs, but perhaps not as many as now at the risk of losing Eagles songs and I know I'm beating a dead horse but to me LBG Eagles vs solo is no comparison. The version on Eagles Live is the best for me anyway. Plus the line "They write Tim letters - tell Glenn Don's great" is just classic.

I do like the fact of having 4 separate lead singers as you said and the other 3 doing harmony when one of them is singing lead. That's what I love about the band. Tim and Joe aren't just backup singers or harmony singers, they can sing lead too and have great songs to sing. It's like you are getting multiple shows in one concert. When I saw them in 2008 it was like seeing the Eagles PLUS seeing Henley and Walsh solo shows all together.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger