Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Quote Sodascouts
    The cool thing about "The Long Run" live is that it is kind of a theme song because they've "gone the distance" indeed, and I like the whole audience participation thing where Tim encourages us to clap and stand.
    I don't see "The Long Run" as any kind of a theme song for them. They didn't last too long after doing this album.... I think "Get Over It" is more of a theme song for them. Kind of like... we had our issues, but it's in the past & we're back together, so Get Over It.!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I might miss quote here but my fave line is when Glenn said what relationship doesnt have its ups and downs ?"

Life is a compramise and some do it better than others, Thank god the eagles do it well enought to be strong after 40 years.

tt

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Exactly. And I admit I like the solo songs, but perhaps not as many as now at the risk of losing Eagles songs and I know I'm beating a dead horse but to me LBG Eagles vs solo is no comparison. The version on Eagles Live is the best for me anyway. Plus the line "They write Tim letters - tell Glenn Don's great" is just classic.

I do like the fact of having 4 separate lead singers as you said and the other 3 doing harmony when one of them is singing lead. That's what I love about the band. Tim and Joe aren't just backup singers or harmony singers, they can sing lead too and have great songs to sing. It's like you are getting multiple shows in one concert. When I saw them in 2008 it was like seeing the Eagles PLUS seeing Henley and Walsh solo shows all together.
    It's just that some of us think the Henley/Walsh solo show part is over-emphasised.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Quote Sodascouts

I don't see "The Long Run" as any kind of a theme song for them. They didn't last too long after doing this album.... I think "Get Over It" is more of a theme song for them. Kind of like... we had our issues, but it's in the past & we're back together, so Get Over It.!
    It's Henley who always goes on about it being a 'theme song'. He's the one who sings it, after all.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Lately, he uses the intro to TLR as talking about being together for so long and I don't remember if he said it in Atlantic City, but he did at both shows in Atlanta and the South Africa shows (from the reviews), that if it wasn't for us, the fans, they wouldn't still be here. Then he thanked us.

Some of Joe's 'solo' songs (mostly James Gang songs) have been sung in concert by the Eagles since 1975. They've made them their own. The original recordings just don't stack up compared to what you hear on Farewell I or live now. Which is what happens when you let 'The Lone Arranger' loose on a song. As for Don's, Dirty Laundry is the ONLY song where they all stand next to each other on a consistent basis. I know this because I've had to learn when to have the camera ready to get them all in one shot. Could they do that to a 'real' Eagles song? Sure. The long and the short of it is, they have high tickets prices (not the highest) and they sell out consistently. They are obviously doing something right. I'd bet there aren't too many casual fans under the age of 50 that even know Walk Away et al aren't Eagles songs. All I know is, I would be disappointed if they weren't played because they don't have that 'Eagles magic' when Joe sings them solo.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 09-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote from VA
    They are obviously doing something right. I'd bet there aren't too many casual fans under the age of 50 that even know Walk Away et al aren't Eagles songs. All I know is, I would be disappointed if they weren't played because they don't have that 'Eagles magic' when Joe sings them solo.
    I don't know about that, When I saw Joe alone, he did his songs pretty fantastic without the rest of the Eagles, & he gets to do longer solo guitar parts. which I really loved. I do think most people know which songs are Joe's from his solo career, just like they would know Don's solo songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Quote from VA

I don't know about that, When I saw Joe alone, he did his songs pretty fantastic without the rest of the Eagles, & he gets to do longer solo guitar parts. which I really loved. I do think most people know which songs are Joe's from his solo career, just like they would know Don's solo songs.
    Well, it is true. The audience at the solo show I went to a month or so ago was the definition of the word 'pedantic' and maybe that had something to do with it. But while he did a great job on Crossroads and the iHeart shows, watching them didn't give me 'magic' either.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    The long and the short of it is, they have high tickets prices (not the highest) and they sell out consistently. They are obviously doing something right.
    By this logic, they should never feel the need to change anything, ever.

That logic leads to stagnancy. I for one like to see the Eagles mixing it up a bit. Somehow I think they'll still be selling out regardless. When have they not?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Well, it is true. The audience at the solo show I went to a month or so ago was the definition of the word 'pedantic' and maybe that had something to do with it. But while he did a great job on Crossroads and the iHeart shows, watching them didn't give me 'magic' either.
    Well, to be fair, to see him live is also a lot better than seeing it on tv or video. I just think Joe's songs can be done alone without the other Eagles, just as I love Don doing his solos alone without the other Eagles. Just my opinion. I love them both ways, either with or without the other Eagles.

I've never seen Don solo. Yet. I'm hoping that any day now, he'll announce some shows. And a new album.

Yes, it does lead to being stagnant, and it sounds like they plan on shaking things up a bit next year.

My brother called my last night and I mentioned to him that it's been 33 yrs since this album was released. He was 12 at the time and I reminded him of how he used to dance around the living room to TLR and HT, playing air guitar or holding something to use as a microphone. I'm not sure he appreciated me resurrecting that memory. So now I've got to go through mom's pictures and find one of him dancing to it and torment him with it. It's my job as a sister.
    VK