Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Stuck on the Border

I feel like I've read the UCR piece before but it may just be that I've read all the interviews that it's rehashed. Still, it's a good summary.

And talking about stuff we've seen before, this is Glenn's version of the writing of Heartache Tonight:
    HEARTACHE TONIGHT
    GLENN: …and then they sold 12 million records, and everything changed! As Bob Dylan said, “They deceived me into thinking I had something to protect.” And that’s what happened with us. We made it, and it ate us. The Long Run became, indeed, the long run. It was a difficult record to make overall, but I loved “Heartache Tonight.” Whenever Bob Seger was in L.A., he always used to come over and visit me, and he’d visit Don, too, and play us stuff he was working on — and we would do the same. I seem to remember that I had the verse thing going on for “Heartache Tonight,” and I was showing it to Seger, and we were jammin’ — I think we were jammin’ on electric guitars at LaFontaine — and then he blurted out the chorus. That’s how “Heartache” started. Then Bob disappeared, and J.D., Don, and I finished that song up. No heavy lyrics — the song is more of a romp — and that’s what it was intended to be.
    http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/...of-the-eagles/

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Good article! Thanks ss!

This made me laugh!

"You just had to step back and give things time to calm down,” sighed manager Irving Azoff in 1982. “In my opinion, they broke up when Glenn and Don realized that they could both make great solo albums, and that’s now. They realized they don’t need the Eagles anymore. That’s why you’re not going to see them go out and do a farewell tour or a farewell album or a farewell anything. It’s just over, period.”

Too funny! Especially since we had the 'Farewell One' tour! And more since! Time passes, things change!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's interesting that their last no. 1 almost didn't make the album. Thank goodness they found that song.

Well, this Joe Walsh's version of the story, as told to The Los Angeles Times:
    "The creative stalemate [of the band] was broken the night the band recorded 'Heartache.' Glenn went out and sung his ass off on that track. We knew then that we were off the hook a little. We had a single."
    So, I think the idea that it almost didn't make the album is a bit of exaggeration...

As far as the vast majority of it being written by Seger, here's what one of the co-writers JD Souther had to say:
    "Bob Seger [...] gave us the title."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    That's interesting that their last no. 1 almost didn't make the album. Thank goodness they found that song.
    You may choose to believe Felder's version if you wish.

It just makes me angry. The condescension to Glenn & the outright misrepresentation of what actually occurred accrding to Glenn.

I suppose in a perverse way it does demonstrate the shameful underuse of the band's founder and leader on their last two albums. I imagine Felder was OK with that.

Every single time he is interviewed, he rolls out this stuff & interviewers just lap it up. Then he wonders why the Long Beach fiasco happened & why Glenn eventually couldn't deal with him any longer. I shouldn't keep harping on this but this latest effort sums him up, in my view.

I suppose I should point out that while I am obviously more inclined to believe Glenn's version it seems to be that Glenn's version is not replete with an agenda, unlike every story told by Felder which all appear to have the same objective of either trashing Glenn or being as dismissive as possible of Glenn's work.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-25-2014 at 07:18 PM.

I've been plenty hard on this album as of late but I DO still think the good songs on this album are great.

I still think Those Shoes is criminally underrated and nothing made me happier than hearing it in concert. It was my favorite part of the whole show I saw....good move guys on bringing that one back.

Of course Heartache Tonight and I Can't Tell You Why are my faves but I love the title track and In The City too. And Greeks is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I just was listening to the title track and had never noticed Tim's bassline. Wow, I think it's my favorite. Love how it grooves. Reminds me of Motown. When you get a chance, take a listen.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I'm a little late to the celebration, but ...

HAPPY 35TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Although it was a difficult record for the band to make and it wasn't the commercial success of its predecessor, this is still a wonderful album, IMO. It boggles the mind that an album could sell in excess of 10 million copies worldwide, and be considered a disappointment. Most bands would die for to have that kind of success methinks.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Here's more about writing HT from JD Souther.
    Songfacts: No, that wouldn't be fair. Let's talk about "Heartache Tonight," which you worked on for the Eagles. I tend to look at the words to the songs, and that kind of attracts me first. But the recording of that song is so much fun, it's so rhythmic, and it's like a foot-stomping kind of a rocker. Can you tell me about the experience of writing that song and where that came from?

J.D.: Glenn Frey and I had been listening to Sam Cooke records at my house. So we were just walking around clapping our hands and snapping fingers and singing the verses to those songs. The melody sounds very much like those Sam Cooke shuffles. And Bob Seger wrote the chorus to it.

Songfacts: I didn't know that.

J.D.: There's not much to it. I mean, it's really just two long verses. But it felt really good. You can get a feel for how something's going to come out sometimes. We didn't get to a chorus that we liked within the first few days, and I think Glenn was on the phone with Seger, and he said, "I wanna run something by you," and sang it to him, and Seger just came right in with the chorus, just sang it and it was so good. Glen called me and said, "Is four writers okay on this?" And I said, "Sure, if it's good." And he said, "Yeah, it's great. Seger just sang this to me," and he sang it to me and I said, "That's fantastic."
    http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5076

So three people and three different stories, though Glenn and JD's aren't that different.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I just was listening to the title track and had never noticed Tim's bassline. Wow, I think it's my favorite. Love how it grooves. Reminds me of Motown. When you get a chance, take a listen.
    I put on some Bose noise-canceling headphones and listened, it's funny how a good pair of headphones changes what you hear. The bass is so prominent, how have I not noticed it before? I think Don's singing and the interesting lead guitar are where your ears automatically go. Funky Timmy Schmit.

I too love Those Shoes, and the bass really drives it. I think you like bass-heavy songs, Austin! Can we talk about that little "vocal interlude" - I don't know what to call it, around "they give you tablets of love" - is it TBS and Glenn? Where did it come from? Why is it there? Whose idea was it? I love it. Funky Eagles.