Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Love The Long Run!!!! Celebrate!!!!

Before I forget....

Happy 36th birthday to The Long Run!

(AKA "The Wrong One," or whatever other nicknames the Eagles wish to give their final album of the decadent '70s.)
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Happy 36th Birthday to The Long Run!!

Who can go the distance?

The EAGLES, that's who!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 36TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Love this board style!

The memory of me sitting on my bed staring at this insert when I first saw it is still very vivid for me - trying to figure out if that was really Glenn and realizing that Randy had left the band and there was some new guy that had taken his place ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Here's an article from Ultimate Classic Rock website about The Long Run's 36th Anniversary.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-long-run/

Stuck on the Border

Speaking of bridges. Paul McCartney has talked many times about a chord they used to introduce the bridge with in the early days - a chord that opened a new world for them. Musicians, especially jazz musicians, here will know that there was nothing strange about using a II-V progression to get to a chord at that point, but I guess it was new in that genre.

In those days the bridge was called a "middle eight", because it usually had eight bars.

Here the bridge starts at 0:51 mark. It starts with that chord. (For musicians: it's a II-V for the IV chord) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipADNlW7yBM

Here they used the same chord trick to go to the bridge (or middle eight). Starts from 0:35 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xhSeZi5CM

Because I also want those who don't know about chords to know what I'm talking about, I'll try to explain the Beatles example. It never really goes away from the main key of the song. The "extra" chord does not belong in the main key of the song. But it does belong in the key of one chord in the song. If the song is in the key of C major, the F major chord is very much part of that key. The "wonder chord" McCartney has marveled at is a G minor, which doesn't belong in the key of C. But it's very much part of the key of F. So they use it briefly to go to the F chord. So we might say that for a few seconds they go to the key of F, but it's so brief that it's just a little visit and not a key change. In a nutshell: one of the chords in the main key (kind of) becomes the key of the song for a couple of seconds.

So it seems to me that it's been a custom for ages to take the song briefly to a new world in the bridge - chordwise.

Often the song goes to a new key at the end of the bridge, like in New Kid In Town. Often the guitar solo comes after the bridge.

It's still a common (too common IMO) trick to go to the bridge by using some "strange" chords. Chords that haven't been in the song before and hint to another key. The chords themselves aren't weird, but they sound strange and sudden in that particular key. I'm not talking about the "Macca chord" now. But certain "strange" bridge chords have become so common that they are not surprising anymore. I know they are going to come when I hear a song, and it's lame. This is very common in hard rock ballads. I couldn't think of another example at the moment, so I'll give you an awful KISS ballad. The verse already contains a chord that doesn't belong in the key, but it doesn't "threaten" the main key. Listen to the song from the beginning so you get used to the key. See if you "know" when the bridge will start and/or if you can hear exactly what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUi_Dtcg0C4

Another hard rock ballad that goes to "surprising" chords in the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMw...2E1E0A9A30CC9A
    Last edited by chaim; 10-03-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Hmm, very interesting, chaim!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I don't think this question is big enough to deserve a thread of its own. I checked what Wikipedia says about I Can't Tell You Why. It says two times that Joe played all the keyboard parts in this song - INCLUDING the electric piano. I don't trust Wikipedia, but I trust people here. Did Joe play the electric piano part? Somehow I don't believe it. I fixed the guitar info in the "personnel" section, as it said "Don Felder: Lead/rhythm guitar".

Border Rebel

I'm sure Glenn played both the electric piano and lead guitar parts. In fact, I thought I had read somewhere that Felder wasn't on the original recordings of this at all, but I can't recall when or from where that was. Joe plays just the organ.

Stuck on the Border

I'm pretty sure Don F played the rhythm part(s). In his book he says how he had fun working on the guitar part. As he didn't play the lead bits, he must have meant the rhythm part, which is a lot of fun.