Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Border Rebel

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

It makes sense that Felder would've played the rhythm parts...I'd forgotten all about those. I still don't know why Glenn didn't play the solo in concert. From 1979 onward, the Eagles always had at least one extra keyboard player in the band so there was no need for him to have to deal with the electric piano part. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Stuck on the Border

There isn't much going on in the arrangement (I think "sparse" is the word) and perhaps Glenn felt that there isn't much for another guitarist to do when he's not playing the solos - in the live situation. But he could've had his guitar with him while sitting at the electric piano and grabbed the guitar for the solo bits...

Perhaps he felt - modest as he was - that he couldn't play the solos that well night after night.

Who knows...It sure is an interesting question.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm pretty sure Don F played the rhythm part(s). In his book he says how he had fun working on the guitar part. As he didn't play the lead bits, he must have meant the rhythm part, which is a lot of fun.
    I believe Glenn said that he, Don F and Joe each took a turn at playing a solo for the song and that his was chosen. So Don may well have worked out a lead guitar part that wasn't used.

When it came to playing live, they each had a role to play and maybe Glenn considered he had enough to do without playing lead guitar whereas Don shouldn't stand there twiddling his thumbs.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I believe Glenn said that he, Don F and Joe each took a turn at playing a solo for the song and that his was chosen. So Don may well have worked out a lead guitar part that wasn't used.

When it came to playing live, they each had a role to play and maybe Glenn considered he had enough to do without playing lead guitar whereas Don shouldn't stand there twiddling his thumbs.
    He wouldn't have done that even if Glenn had played the solos live. Don's rhythm guitar part is an important part of the song. Not as important as the guitar solos and the electric piano intro, but important nevertheless.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    There isn't much going on in the arrangement (I think "sparse" is the word)
    Or as Timothy describes it in HoTE, "a lot of air in it."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Or as Timothy describes it in HoTE, "a lot of air in it."
    This is funny because...Although I don't remember Timothy saying that, I was actually thinking of the word "air", but I wasn't sure if you can use that word in this context (in English).

It was the first Eagles album I listened to in its entirety. I was just 10, a friend had the Japanese press cassette and he loaned it to me. We had cassettes back then. I was hooked! Still has a special place in my heart.

It's funny. I was talking to my dad and his favorite and least favorite Eagles songs are on the same album - The Long Run.

His favorite is In The City, and least favorite is The Long Run (title track).

I'm not going to argue with ITC being great, but I've always felt the title track was underrated. I like the Memphis soul RNB vibe of this song and I love the dual slide on the original.

I love the music videos from this album but I wish there would have been a Heartache Tonight music video.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I do love the music from this album, but it's not my favvie!!

The song that I really love (on here) is Heartache Tonight

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

The Long Run was the first Eagles album I ever bought...and it was because I fell in love with I Can't Tell You Why...