Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

In reading through this thread, I noticed several interesting things.

Post #6, Dreamer brought up a very good point about how vastly different the first album, Eagles, is to The Long Run. Yet, the fans were there all the way thru. I always liked the early albums, but liked their music more and more as each new album came along. The Long Run, to this day, is still my favorite with LROOE very often, neck in neck.

Post #7, I agree with PM. For me it is also very hard for me to think of In The City as an Eagles song and not just a Joe Walsh song.

Post #9
    , FP writes, "This time of year will always be special to me as people who have been following my buildup to when I saw the album for the first time will appreciate." You and I both!!! And I remember reading this a year ago and thinking to myself at least I'm not the only one~~~ "
    The Disco Strangler - hugely underrated."

Post #11, Soda writes, " It's DISCO STRANGLER, which I forced myself to listen to in order to do my review but still makes my ears bleed (sorry Willie)!"

Post #14
    , If you don't read anything else in this thread, read Soda's ranking of the songs on this album and KNOW that as much as I love her, her and I do not see eye to eye much on this album.

Post #22, my response to Soda, "So Soda--tell us how you really feel! ) LOVE your reviews--they crack me up-(even when you're wrong ."

In this post from me, I also go on to explain how I don't pay attention to who's singing what part in a song and such. I had to chuckle over that because while listening and writing my notes for the upcoming Survivor, on a couple of songs I actually posted that I love how distinguishable each voice is and how you can actually point out which part is sung by which Eagle. See, I've learned something from all of you this last year!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Was doing the YouTube thing for Long Run and could only find a couple off hand. Posted to my Facebook in celebration also.

Can I just say swooooooooonnnnn at about the 3:03 mark!?!?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnZG-CNk84&feature=channel[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1:44 works for me too...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I didn't realize how great this album was until I was listening to it to prepare for survivor.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

...wow, seeing that album cover brings back some great memories...my friends actually gave me that album as a gift...I'd had my tonsils removed...and they brought me that album when they came to visit...

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

I know what you mean. The medicinal applications are probably endless...

...hahaha....and I cherish it still....that picture of GLENN was enough to make me feel instantly better...............

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ...hahaha....and I cherish it still....that picture of GLENN was enough to make me feel instantly better...............
    I'll bet it WAS!!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, as I was reading this thread, it got me to wondering exactly what the guys think about this album now. I was thinking back about remarks that Don and Glenn have made about The Long Run and decided to post a couple here.

Glenn in a 1986 interview with Jeff Yarbrough:

Don and I did not have any fun working on The Long Run together. Hemingway said that he'd write in the morning and always quit before he got stuck. The next day, he would feel like writing again because he had positive thoughts about the previous day's work. We were at a stage where there were no positive thought's about the previous day's work. Henley and I would sit across from each other for hours not saying a word. We would sit trying to write, but we were both afraid to suggest a lyric or chord in case it wasn't perfect - in case it wasn't great.
    Don in a 1987 interview with Mikal Gilmore:

The romance had gone out of it for Glenn and me. I mean, The Long Run was not as good as Hotel California, and it was an excruciatingly painful album to make. We were having fights all the time about the songs - enormous fights about one word - for days on end. The record took three years and cost $800,000, and we burned out. I think we knew early on fame was a fleeting thing. ... We were exhausted, and we were sick and tired of each other. We needed a vacation, and we didn't get one. So we just flamed out.
    Well it took a 14-year vacation for them to recover, but thank goodness they did. I hope that they can look back on the album now and appreciate it because they ended up making a great album in spite of all the turmoil.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016