Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Little wonder they broke up after such a painful delivery.

Here's some quotes from Glenn and Don about some of the songs:

DISCO STRANGLER

GLENN: "I hate this song! I hate this album! God help me! I'm bumming!" (Rolling Stone 1979)

(The rest of these are from the liner notes of The Very Best of the Eagles)

HEARTACHE TONIGHT
    GLENN: ...and then they sold 12 million records, and everything changed! As Bob Dylan said, "They deceived me into thinking I had something to protect." And that's what happened with us. We made it, and it ate us. The Long Run became, indeed, the long run. It was a difficult record to make overall, but I loved "Heartache Tonight." Whenever Bob Seger was in L.A., he always used to come over and visit me, and he'd visit Don, too, and play us stuff he was working on -- and we would do the same. I seem to remember that I had the verse thing going on for "Heartache Tonight," and I was showing it to Seger, and we were jammin' -- I think we were jammin' on electric guitars at LaFontaine -- and then he blurted out the chorus. That's how "Heartache" started. Then Bob disappeared, and J.D., Don, and I finished that song up. No heavy lyrics -- the song is more of a romp -- and that's what it was intended to be.

THE SAD CAFÉ
    GLENN: The title comes from the book by Carson McCullers. I love the title, which didn't have anything to do with the song, other than it was a great title. The line that really resonates for me in that song is "I don't know why fortune smiles on some and lets the rest go free." There were so many of us aspiring musicians hanging around at the Troubadour. Some nights when Doug Dillard got drunk enough, and Gene Clark got drunk enough, and Harry Dean Stanton got drunk enough... near closing time... they would all start singing. There would be these unbelievable impromptu versions of "Amazing Grace" -- all sorts of Ozark spiritual things with the whole bar singing... That stuff never really happened. We were getting older (when we wrote the song), and there was a sadness because we had seen, close-up, that everybody's dreams don't come true. Or, at least, not in the way they think they're gonna come true.
    DON: A train used to run down the center of Santa Monica Boulevard, right outside the Troubadour. Steve Martin actually had a routine where he'd get the entire audience to exit the club, hop a flatcar on that slow-moving train and ride up to La Cienega, a few blocks east. Then, everybody would hop off and walk back down to the club together. I don't think that happened very many times -- maybe not even more than once or twice, because the railroad people didn't like it. It was kind of dangerous and there was liability involved. Still -- and I don't want to over-mythologize -- it was something to remember. That was a wonderful time in Los Angeles. The city was alive with magic and a sense of possibility. People were warmer and more open than they are now.
    Then, of course, there was the dark side. Friends and acquaintances of ours (from that era) had begun to meet untimely ends -- classic cases of "too much, too soon." It was either that or "too little, too late." So we were struggling to make sense of that dichotomy, that contradiction. Is fortune a good thing or a bad thing, you know? Is being fortunate, before you're ready to accept it and deal with it, actually fortunate -- or is it unfortunate? We were struggling with our own success -- riddled with feelings of guilt and unworthiness. I think a lot of young artists feel that way. We always identified with that great song "Fakin' It," by Paul Simon. It takes many years and lots of experience for a man to get comfortable in his own skin. But the Troubadour, Dan Tana's restaurant, the train -- all those things served as a great metaphor for the search, the journey that so many of us were on.

I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY
    DON: Timothy came in with the title and other bits and pieces. Glenn and I just wanted to surround it with everything we could. Glenn came up with that wonderful counterpart, very much a soul-record type thing, "Try to keep your head, little girl." Glenn also composed and played that great guitar solo.
    GLENN: Timothy joined the band and the real challenge, as Don and I saw it, was to get a piece of material for him that wasn't country. So we got him over to LaFontaine, and the three of us got down to work. I said, "You could sing like Smokey Robinson. Let's not do a Richie Furay, Poco-sounding song. Let's do an R&B song." He said, "Sure, love to try!" Some of those crazy moments happen when you just go over to the piano and jam. There I was, brave as a Budweiser, going right to the piano and saying, "Well, how 'bout something like this?" That's another one of my absolute favorite Eagles songs. It's got the mood. It's got the "Ooh baby, baby" vocal. But, again, counterpoint -- with Don and I singing against he melody and the understated, brilliant guitar stylings of yours truly [laughs]. It's another song that people love in our live show. Since it is a ballad, we are not playing too loud and can hear the audience. Timothy starts, and there are thousands of people singing, "Look at us, baby..."

THE LONG RUN
    GLENN: We'd had the idea for about six or seven years. The title of the song was apropos, and it seemed to be a good title for the album -- let's see who'll last. I think it was a lot about longevity, and it was also about me just lovin' Tyrone Davis' record "Turning Point." We had done some slicker production like the Philly sound, but "Long Run" was more like a tribute to Memphis with the slide guitars playing the parts of the horns.
    DON: It was a long and difficult album. Everything was catching up to us. Too much pressure, too much worry, too much traveling, too many controlled substances, too much paranoia and infighting. I missed having a normal life. Glenn and I were starting to grow distant. Everything was pulling apart -- and we were writing about longevity. [thoughtful pause] Yeah, well, even if we weren't living it, we were always able to idealize it in a song about the way we'd like to be -- the way we'd like to be perceived. That song may have been a message to our critics. It may have been a message from Glenn to me or me to Glenn. It could be taken all kinds of different ways. Could be a message to a girl -- a long-departed lover. But, again, it was built on that foundation of Glenn's rhythm guitar playing [sings part]. Always that foundation. So, here we are some 25 years later -- 32 years total -- still going strong. The Long Run, indeed.

IN THE CITY
    GLENN: Of all the songs we were considering for the album, I always loved this one of Joe's. An earlier solo version had been in the movie The Warriors, but it wasn't that widely known. I always liked the song and thought it could have been an Eagles record, and so we decided to make it one.

THOSE SHOES
    DON: One of my favorites. At that time, all the girls were wearing Charles Jourdan shows -- the ones with the little ankle straps. They'd become very popular and we were big fans [laughs]. And so, we said, "Well, it's not enough just to write about that; we have to turn it into a metaphor for women standing on their own two feet, so to speak, and taking responsibility for their own lives, their own losses." That was our intent. The lyric "Once you've started wearing those shoes" meant "Once you've started being your own woman and taking responsibility for your own life; once you've decided not to be just decoration -- an appendage to some guy -- then this is all the crap you're going to have to put up with in conjunction with that." Anyone who decided to become the master of his or her own destiny always has to put up with a lot of crap. On the surface the song was about the singles scene: the beautiful, young women seemingly unaware of the sharks waiting in the shallows... sharks that sometimes included us. It was also a great, great beat. It gave Felder a chance to strap on the talkbox, a device which Joe Walsh pioneered on "Rocky Mountain Way" -- and the two of them soloed together...
    GLENN: As far as I know, it's the only double-talkbox solo in existence. That's Felder and Walsh on talkbox at the end singing "Butt out...butt out...."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks for posting those Soda. Always liked the way Glenn seemed to show so much love for ICTYW and ITC. Looks like you and Glenn are in agreement as far as DS goes!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Loved reading those again! Always interesting to hear what an artist thinks about a song or album in retrospect.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love this quote of Don's about the song The Long Run ...

That song may have been a message to our critics. It may have been a message from Glenn to me or me to Glenn. It could be taken all kinds of different ways. Could be a message to a girl -- a long-departed lover. But, again, it was built on that foundation of Glenn's rhythm guitar playing [sings part]. Always that foundation. So, here we are some 25 years later -- 32 years total -- still going strong. The Long Run, indeed.
    I love when I read that because I had always believed they may have been talking to each other in the song. It's always really cool when a songwriter confirms your interpretation of lyrics.

And YES, Don ... The Long Run, indeed!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Once again, it's the anniversary of the release of The Long Run! Let's celebrate!

Check out the video for the title track here:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfs...long-run_music

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I go back and forth with this being my 2nd or 3rd favorite Eagles album (with On the Border as the alternative) depending on the day. I'll say it's my 2nd favorite today.

I think The Long Run is highly underrated. I LOVE The Long Run, Heartache Tonight, In The City, I Can't Tell You Why, Those Shoes, and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

I love The Long Run!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-24-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

It was interesting, going back and reading the entire thread. I've always loved the Long Run. From the day it came out. It was the very first LP I'd ever bought with my own money. I was out of high school and working as a filing clerk (talk about motivation for higher education...) and every day (literally) I'd get home from work to hear my younger brother and sister playing it over and over. They wanted me to buy a second one so we wouldn't have to keep flipping it on the turntable.

At the time, I listened to a Rock station as opposed to Pop. So the DJs' take on Disco Strangler was that the Eagles wanted to strangle disco itself and they were all for it.

I remember a lot of discussion from DJs about using the saxophone so much, not a Rock thing to do, others had done it or tried it, but they felt the Eagles had managed to actually make it work, as with everything else they'd ever done. The critics had been pretty harsh, or so the DJs said at the time, and while they agreed it wasn't HC, they said that if it had been HC, they'd have been criticized for that.

For most of us at the time, we were so desperate for a new LP we'd have loved anything they put out. For me, the Eagles appearance was always Glenn's fantastic hair and attitude. It was a shock to see his hair cut, but the times were changing and it was very much in style and my knees went weak just looking at the picture. I'm not sure I ever noticed the other guys in the picture!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

HAPPY 32nd ANNIVERSARY THE LONG RUN!!!

Okay, we've tried this with some solo albums, so Soda and I thought we’d try it again since today we celebrate the anniversary of the release of the band's 'The Long Run' album.

Since this is the first time we've tried this for an Eagles album, I’ll review how this works. This isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll I guess with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs on the album and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined results.

I’ll calculate the lists like this. There are 10 songs on the album, so I’ll assign a point value of 10 points to the song that each person lists in 1st place, 9 points for the 2nd place song, and so on until the last place song gets 1 point as follows:

Song 1 – 10 points
    Song 2 – 9 points
    Song 3 – 8 points
    Song 4 – 7 points
    Song 5 – 6 points
    Song 6 – 5 points
    Song 7 – 4 points
    Song 8 – 3 points
    Song 9 – 2 points
    Song 10 – 1 point

For example, Person A puts the song ‘ABC’ in 3rd place so it gets 8 points; Person B puts ‘ABC’ in 5th place so it gets 6 points; and Person C puts ‘ABC’ in 6th place so it gets 5 points. So all total, the song ‘ABC’ gets 19 points. Then, Person A puts the song ‘XYZ’ in 1st place so it gets 10 points; Person B puts ‘XYZ’ in 4th place so it gets 7 points; and Person C puts ‘XYZ’ in 2nd place so it gets 9 points. So all total, the song ‘XYZ’ gets 26 points.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. It'll also be interesting to see how the results here compare with the results in the Survivor games we've played here. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores. So here we go – the songs for 'The Long Run’ album are as follows:

The Long Run
    I Can't Tell You Why
    In the City
    The Disco Strangler
    King of Hollywood
    Heartache Tonight
    Those Shoes
    Teenage Jail
    The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    The Sad Cafe

Now, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

Heartache Tonight
    In The City
    The Long Run
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Those Shoes
    The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    King Of Hollywood
    The Disco Strangler
    The Sad Cafe
    Teenage Jail
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Happy 30th Anniversary The Long Run!

Well - First of all, even though I've said this many times already, I want to reiterate that I think this is a very underrated album. I have gained an even bigger appreciation for it in the last several years. While I still agree that a couple of the tunes are 'not the band's best work', I think that it is a really strong album overall. I made my list and then I went back in this thread to check what I had posted earlier to see if I had changed my mind any. And it is exactly the same. So here it is ...

1. Heartache Tonight
    2. The Long Run
    3. I Can’t Tell You Why
    4. The Sad Cafe
    5. Those Shoes
    6. King of Hollywood
    7. In the City
    8. The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
    9. Teenage Jail
    10. The Disco Strangler