Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Here's my list:

Heartache Tonight
    The Long Run
    The Sad Café
    I can’t Tell You Why
    In the City
    Those Shoes
    King of Hollywood
    The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    Teenage Jail
    Disco Strangler
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Considering the fact that the they were burnt out, exhausted and experiencing a creative dry spell, I'm not surprised this album was not a fan favorite. It has several great songs that give me joy on a continual basis so I'm thankful that they pushed through and got it done.
    Here's my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
    2. Those Shoes
    3. In The City
    4. The Sad Cafe
    5. I Can't Tell You Why
    6. The Long Run
    7. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    8. King of Hollywood
    9. Teenage Jail
    10. Disco Strangler

Actually, I don't think I've ever been able to listen to Disco Stranger the whole way through. It hurts my ears!

I will say that although Disco Strangler is not my favorite song to listen to, I do find it intriguing in the context of the musical styles that were out there in 1979. Maybe it's just me but I hear shades of punk (a la early Blondie) in amongst the disco-fied syncopation. It makes me feel like they're kicking disco in its face with a taste of what would come after.

I only bought this album a few weeks ago. The first 6 songs on my list I had heard on the greatest hits collection/DVDs, but the other 4 were new. I really like King of Hollywood, and I think Greeks is hilarious. Teenage Jail brings mixed emotions - I have a teenage son & sometimes it's just too close to the bone

Disco Strangler. Hmm. The first time I heard it I definitely thought WTF?? I tried several times to listen again but found myself hitting the skip button - but listened to it a couple of times today playing the album right through. It may grow on me - if I give it a chance.

My list:
    1. The Sad Café
    2. I Can’t Tell You Why
    3. Heartache Tonight
    4. Those Shoes
    5. The Long Run
    6. In the City
    7. King of Hollywood
    8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    9. Teenage Jail
    10. Disco Strangler
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album. It has and always will be my favorite Eagles album. For awhile after LROOE came out, I thought it might be replaced but I came to my senses. Not a bad song on this one! And I won't bore all of you with the story of first opening up that gatefold and seeing the new bass player again. You've all heard it before and for those that haven't, it's somewhere on this board. Sure you can just imagine.

I did find this earlier in this thread tho...
    From me in 2009:
    Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    I remember that the only thing that really shocked me when I saw the album was that Glenn had cut his hair! I was devastated--well until I noticed the new guy.

Now what's up with Disco Strangler at the bottom of everyone's list?!?!?

Here's my list:

1. King Of Hollywood
    2. I Can't Tell You Why
    3. Those Shoes
    4. The Long Run
    5. Heartache Tonight
    6. The Sad Cafe
    7. In The City
    8. Disco Strangler
    9.The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    10. Teenage Jail
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Sorry to be the killjoy at this 'celebration' party, but I have to call it as I see it, and I have to say that I have always considered The Long Run the weakest Eagles album, by far, one that was certainly a major disappointment at the time, and, in retrospect, the low-point of their recording career. I had always thought that this album was pretty universally acknowledged as their worst overall, and the only real blight on an otherwise stellar output. Thus, I was quite surprised when I came to this forum a few months ago and found so many avid supporters of this album, and its songs (I was downright shocked by how many list Heartache Tonight as one of their very favorite Eagles songs of all-time, as I had never even considered it to be among their top-25). Anyway, I have now gone back and read through this thread from the beginning, and I find the comments very interesting and enlightening. Now, I have to admit that I had not listened to the full album since the early eighties, when I removed it from my turntable and put it on the shelf for good (that's right, turntable!, as it was a vinyl album - I never bought this on CD), and I 've never really had the desire to listen to it again after that (Certainly the only Eagles album I can say that about).

So, to be fair for this assessment, and to see if maybe there was more here that I had not picked up on those many years ago, I have now gone back and listened to the whole album again, twice actually, all the way through, just to be sure. But, I have to say that it pretty much reinforced my earlier impressions. The one word that most comes to mind when I listen to and think about this album is: LACKLUSTER. Sure, there are some good songs here, perhaps even a couple very good ones, but no great ones, and none that I would consider among the very best (top-ten, or even top-twenty) of the Eagles songs. And the album contains several sub-par offerings and at least 2 of the worst songs they ever recorded. So, anyway, here are my rankings and brief comments about each song.

1. The Long Run - Good, strong start to album. Solid, enjoyable song, with classic Eagles sound
    2. Those Shoes - Really cool sound and style (with the funky bass and all), would've fit right in on Hotel California
    3. I Can't Tell You Why - Tim B's first Eagles song is lovely and quite good, exactly what I expected from the Poco veteran
    4. Heartache Tonight - Good, fun, bar-room song, a notch above 'Greeks', perhaps, but still just a fun, throwaway song
    5. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - Another fun bar-room song (or in this case, frat-house), dumb lyrics, but still alot of fun
    6. In The City - A decent Joe Walsh song that seems more like a solo song than an Eagles song, but not really one of his best
    7. Sad Cafe - Could have been a decent song, but it never quite gets there, and is completely overshadowed by the fact that it comes across as a 2nd rate imitation of the much-better 'The Last Resort' from HC
    8. King of Hollywood - starts out OK, but then just goes nowhere and goes on too long, becoming monotonous, dull, and listless

10. Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler - These last 2 are just plain awful, and practically unlistenable. The 2 worst songs the Eagles ever made. I really can't decide which I hate more. They both should get 0 points

My overall summary would be that there were basically 4 good songs, 2 decent songs, 2 not-so-good songs, and 2 awful songs, which does not add up to a great, or even very good album. I am very thankful that they did make those 4 good songs, and I regularly enjoy hearing them, but I must say that I could do without hearing the rest of the album ever again. Sorry if this seems harsh. Overall, I love the Eagles music, but this album is just not that good IMHO. Hey, it happens to the best of them. Fortunately, they made lots of other great music. Perhaps it was indicative of what they were going through at the time, and it was not all that surprising when they called it quits during the subsequent tour. I think they redeemed themselves admirably in subsequent years (with both solo and group efforts), producing more great Eagles music (both live and on record) for us all to enjoy.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    4. Heartache Tonight - Good, fun, bar-room song, a notch above 'Greeks', perhaps, but still just a fun, throwaway song

7. Sad Cafe - Could have been a decent song, but it never quite gets there, and is completely overshadowed by the fact that it comes across as a 2nd rate imitation of the much-better 'The Last Resort' from HC
    8. King of Hollywood - starts out OK, but then just goes nowhere and goes on too long, becoming monotonous, dull, and listless
    Speaking for myself Heartache Tonight jumped out of the speakers at me because it was Glenn, after Don's domination of Hotel California, and because it rocks, and also, believe it or not, because it IS a 'fun' song. They had been taking themselves far too seriously.

I see what you are saying about The Sad Cafe but it's a personal history as opposed to the history of the state, and that makes it easier to relate to. I do think it gets a bit preachy near the end. I am not a fan of the 'glory train' part or the 'fortune smiles on some' part. Most of it I consider very atmospheric. I still think Glenn could have sung it; but he didn't sing the 'heavy, serious songs' and still doesn't for the most part.

I can't agree that KOH ever becomes monotonous or listless with those three great guitar solos. If anything it gains momentum as it progresses.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-26-2011 at 06:50 PM.

I just heard "The Long Run" on the radio tonight. I love that song. It's a great tune. And might I add that I absolutely love the line "all the debutantes in Houston baby, couldn't hold a candle to you".

I think In The City is an underrated song. I love it. It seems to not be so popular with people but it is a killer song and even better live (I love the HFO version and the time I saw it in Chicago).

I also think Heartache Tonight is a great tune. I will be playing it this weekend and I can't wait. It's such a fun tune. I might also be playing In The City too.

So yeah, TLR definitely has a few "stinkers" IMO but also IMO people let that ruin the album for them. The Long Run, Heartache Tonight, I Can't Tell You Why, In The City, and Those Shoes are amazing Eagles songs IMO.

I do respect BBKron's feelings for the album as I feel the same way about the "Desperado" album. To me, it is their weakest album musically. I like the title track and that's about it. And I didn't use to like the title track but it has grown on me because I feel a personal connection to the lyrics. But taste is subjective and we all have our likes and dislikes.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I also never ceased to be amazed at how we Eagles fans are so 'all over the place' in terms of what songs we like and dislike so much. I always rationalize it by saying that it's because most all of their songs are so good. Now, I know I'm in the minority here, but, honestly, there is not one single Eagles song that I hate. Obviously, I like some more than others, but I don't think any of them are horrible. When I rank the order in which I like the albums, the bottom three are One of These Nights, The Long Run, and then Eagles. They are all pretty close, and I considered all of them slightly uneven because they all contain some of the band's best and worst work, IMO. As I said, I have gained more of an appreciation in recent years for The Long Run than I have for either OOTN or Eagles and may be tempted to move it up above OOTN on my list. To me, although it does contain two of the band's weakest songs, I think the overall quality of the remaining songs may surpass the songs on OOTN or the Eagles LP. In addition to Heartache Tonight, The Long Run, and I Can't Tell You Why, I thnik The Sad Cafe, Those Shoes, and King of Hollywood are all excellent underrated songs. When I compare TLR to OOTN or Eagles LP, I think there is a bigger drop-off in quality on those two albums after you get past the top 3 or 4 songs. All JMHO!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Well stated Dreamer. I'm also in the minority. I've always said, IMO, there isn't a horrible song on this album and I really like them all. That includes the so called, "bad songs" like DS, Greeks & TJ. Granted, it's not some of the best Eagle writing but they're just really fun songs. Greeks just cracks me up. I can see why some would think DS is a bit creepy because of the subject matter but I don't find it that way and love Don's voice and the tune it self. As for TJ--well, bottom of my list but still listenable. I don't skip any of them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low