Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

I've learned to respect everyone's opinions, no matter how much I disagree with them. People have different tastes as to what they like and don't like. Nobody's "right" and nobody's "wrong"; it's all subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron
    I was downright shocked by how many list Heartache Tonight as one of their very favorite Eagles songs of all-time as I had never even considered it to be among their top-25
    It's not my personal favorite, but what's so shocking about a Grammy-winning #1 hit being popular with fans? Regardless of whether or not you personally find it to be high quality, the fact that the song has received industry accolades and achieved commercial success should at least prepare you for the possibility that others might consider it their favorite.

Personally, I don't consider it mind-blowing that my opinions aren't universally held, but that's just me.

Also, I want to amend a statement I made earlier in this thread. I said that "Disco Strangler" was the worst song any of the Eagles had ever made, either together or solo. Well, I have all their catalogs on my computer and sometimes I randomize them. Today, Joe Walsh's "Coyote Love" came on... and I realized yes, one of the Eagles had indeed put out a song inferior to "Disco Strangler"!

So, "Disco Strangler", I apologize. You do not suck as badly as "Coyote Love."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I've learned to respect everyone's opinions, no matter how much I disagree with them. People have different tastes as to what they like and don't like. Nobody's "right" and nobody's "wrong"; it's all subjective.

Personally, I don't consider it mind-blowing that my opinions aren't universally held, but that's just me.
    Such modesty, Soda

The different opinions are one of the things I really enjoy about being on the board. Reading everybody else's opinions encourages me to listen again and maybe hear stuff I didn't "get" originally...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Too funny Soda!

I'm usually bringing up the rear in these discussions, so I'm just amazed to be getting my opinion in!

My list:

Heartache Tonight
    The Long Run
    King of Hollywood
    I Can’t Tell You Why
    In the City
    Those Shoes
    Sad Cafe
    The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    Teenage Jail
    Disco Strangler

I go back and forth with HT and TLR being my favorite from this album. Love them both. And even though KOH has a sleazy subject, I love Don's voice and the guitar solos. And I have to agree with Dreamer and say that I really don't hate any Eagles song, but definitely like some better than others. If there was ever a song to skip it would be DS and TJ. I do find Greeks fun, even if it is silly! Hey, as someone once sang, lighten up, while you still can!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It's not my personal favorite, but what's so shocking about a Grammy-winning #1 hit being popular with fans? Regardless of whether or not you personally find it to be high quality, the fact that the song has received industry accolades and achieved commercial success should at least prepare you for the possibility that others might consider it their favorite.

Also, I want to amend a statement I made earlier in this thread. I said that "Disco Strangler" was the worst song any of the Eagles had ever made, either together or solo. Well, I have all their catalogs on my computer and sometimes I randomize them. Today, Joe Walsh's "Coyote Love" came on... and I realized yes, one of the Eagles had indeed put out a song inferior to "Disco Strangler"!

Don't forget Better In The USA, Shangri-La... (in my opinion)...

TDS is 6TH on my list of songs from The Long Run. So again in my opinion it is nowhere near as bad as Soda thinks it is.

Maybe that could be another topic because opinions on worst solo songs will vary wildly as well. I have never heard Coyote Love.

They'd definitely vary widely! I find Better in the USA far superior to Disco Strangler. Shangri-La, while one of Don's worst efforts, also beats out Disco Strangler in my book. Maybe I should start some threads... as long as folks don't get all bent out of shape if someone disses a song they like!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Do you mind if I print this out and hang it on my frig to make me smile every time I think about all the times I told you it wasn't THAT bad?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Have you ever heard "Coyote Love"? What I just delivered was about the faintest praise possible. lol

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - It's time to post the results of our The Long Run poll. Again, I only counted those who actually posted a full list. As it stands now, the vote is very close between some of the songs. So - without further delay, here's the standings as they are now ...

1. Heartache Tonight - 132 points
    2. I Can't Tell You Why - 113 points
    3. The Long Run - 104 points
    4. Those Shoes - 103 points
    5. In the City - 92 points
    6. The Sad Cafe - 90 points
    7. King of Hollywood - 80 points
    8. The Greek Don't Want No Freaks - 55 points
    9. Teenage Jail - 29 points
    10. The Disco Strangler - 28 points

So congratulations to our top vote-getter so far, Heartache Tonight!!!

Thanks to those who participated. As I said earlier, if anyone else wants to still post their list, it's not too late. Go right ahead - I'll update the standings if this happens. Each person's list can definitely change the results.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

The Long Run was released 33 years ago today. The first album with Timothy and their last album until the "resumption" in the 90s, it was definitely a landmark! Give your copies a spin this week and, if you feel inspired, post some thoughts!

Note: if you're new, the reason why the board is black and silver this week is to celebrate The Long Run by using its color scheme as well as some LR-themed graphics that I put together.

I love "The Long Run". It's a tie between this and On The Border for my 2nd favorite Eagles album.

I think this one is somewhat underrated.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."