Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy appears in "Canyon of Dreams" book

Default Randy appears in "Canyon of Dreams" book

Just saw this on LA Weekly:

First Glimpse at Harvey Kubernik's Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and Music of Laurel Canyon Photo Book and History

[a snippet]
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Weekly
    Kubernik's book, which comes out on October 6, features a forward by (who else?) Ray Manzarek, and an afterward by Lou Adler.

Among other exclusives, according to the press info:
    [...]
    "Randy Meisner reminisces about the Eagles first gig and the recording of 'One of These Nights.'"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Randy appears in "Canyon of Dreams" book

Randy speaks!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

"Canyon of Dreams;" I'll look for it on store bookshelves soon.

I never knew that Don suggested the "Hickory Wind" line in My Man, that was interesting to learn

I'm going to have to look for this book. I know Parsons had a song called that.

It's "in stock" at Amazon:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dreams-Magic-Music-Laurel/dp/1402765894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254843948&sr=8-1[/ame]

I wonder how many more books will end up being written on the subject of Laurel Canyon? I have two or three. Plus Crosby's "Lone Time Gone" that deals quite a bit with life in the Canyon.

I must say though, that if there was an epi-center for Rock/Folk/Folk-Rock/Country-Rock...well, it would have to be the Canyon. I think Psychedelia was more centered in San Francisco...But Laurel Canyon had it's own thing going on.

MikeA

Scarlet Sun, how much ink do the Eagles get, would you say? How long are Randy's comments?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm going to have to look for this book. I know Parsons had a song called that.
    Er . . . yes, it was his showcase on Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.

I find the whole Gram Parsons/Eagles thing to be quite interesting. The latter were clearly very influenced by Parsons/The Burritos, and of course they had Bernie in common. In John Einarson's book Desperados it's said that Glenn studied Parsons' onstage demeanor. Go on Youtube and seek out out a clip of the Flying Burrito Brothers performing Christine's Tune and/or Hot Burrito #1 and there's a good chance you'll agree that that's quite likely. Then, after Parsons died, the Eagles wrote and recorded My Man. Nowadays, however, unless i'm mistaken, it seems that they'll mention Poco as an influence but not talk about the Burritos so much. I believe this has to do with something GP wrote in a letter to a friend circa '73 which contains a quote which is has been widely repeated and is rather well-known now. In this letter, he expressed some dismay that he helped start the country-rock style because its incarnation at the time came across as a "plastic dry-f***" to him. He also wrote that he thought the Eagles' music had "too much sugar in it." Unfortunately, Eagles haters often use the first quote to describe Parsons' specific opinion of the Eagles' music rather than the second, even though he was actually describing the country-rock scene in general. Maybe this is why My Man has never appeared on a compilation
    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Scarlet Sun, how much ink do the Eagles get, would you say? How long are Randy's comments?
    They get their own 12-page chapter. Bernie speaks too. There are some nice photos i've never seen before from familiar photo sessions. I just got it yesterday and i'm still making my way through it. I was a little disappointed at first, but it seems to be getting better as I read further . . .

Thanks for the info, Scarlet Sun.

I've never noted anything remarkably unique in the stage demeanor of either Glenn or Gram Parsons, but they both have a dynamic stage presence just from the force of their personalities, I think.

My Man is Bernie's finest work in my opinion, and it's a shame it's never made an Eagles compilation. I doubt it was due to the Eagles being angry because of that comment, though. Wasn't that letter unearthed before the recording of My Man in the first place?

Border Desperado

Parsons and his band (not the burritos) actually opened for the Eagles several times... He also told Bernie that they (the eagles) were great and that they'd 'gotten it right'.... which, I think is pretty factual....

The Burritos were sloppy AND stoned. It drove Bernie crazy and when the Eagles got signed (and I believe that Bernie had the most force in getting them signed and signed first) they all agree to rehearse and rehearse and rehearse so that when they were sick or tired or stoned they'd still sound great... they also recognized that they were mostly a 'vocal' band and that is what finally sold Glyn Johns on producing them.

As for Parson stage persona... that is kind of funny because Parsons was imitating George Jones (watch is old 50's film) in the first couple of years with the Byrds and Burritos and then once he met the stones... he was a Mick imitator including the glimmer twins mascara crapola...

He was kind of aping the 'get yer ya ya's out era Mick'.... as for Glenn imitating that... uhhh.... I've sure never seen that... Was Gram someone that everyone found interesting? yeah, no doubt. But, Gram kind of never delivered any of what he promised... and he daydreamed that he'd get Mick's job in the stones.....

The parallel there is that Glenn was the one who really wanted to 'rock' and had hoped Glynn Johns would make the Eagles sound like the Who... it was his Mitch Ryder/Bob Seger Michigan roots that made him want to do more rock and R&B...

The whole Gram thing is kind of a cult of personality thing... I don't think I ever saw Gram perform... but, I can remember going to see Gene Clark and it was a nightmare... and half the audience was apologizing for him and telling us... give him another chance, when he is sober he is great... and, foolishly, I tried that about 4 or 5 times... always sub par.... (and I love Gene Clark's records and his stuff with the Byrds is amazing...)

The Burritos with Bernie and Rick Roberts were better than with Gram... and I dig some of those songs....

I never ever saw an Eagles show where they were (to paraphrase Frey) anything but perfect... totally professional and on and entertaining and ripping.... they were and are the anti Gram.

I know two guys who did play with Gram and they both swear that once in awhile... he was just a rare and wonderful talent... but that most of the time he was lazy, a poor singer and player and stoned and drunk and obnoxious....

it is said he wanted James Dean style immortality (another Frey like characteristic) and he got it.... The Eagles for all their drug issues have survived and lived long and productive lives and will die old old men having survived the slings and arrows that come from not flaming out and leaving a young, beautiful corpse.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts