Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Randy appears in "Canyon of Dreams" book

Default Re: Randy appears in "Canyon of Dreams" book

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    .I've never noted anything remarkably unique in the stage demeanor of either Glenn or Gram Parsons, but they both have a dynamic stage presence just from the force of their personalities, I think.
    I guess "demeanor" might be the wrong word. It's mostly an eye contact and smile thing, certainly directed mostly at the ladies in the audience. Compare the Christine's Tune/Hot Burrito #1 clip(which was before his Jagger thing) with the Eagles' 73 BBC show and you may get an idea of the influence.

My Man is Bernie's finest work in my opinion, and it's a shame it's never made an Eagles compilation. I doubt it was due to the Eagles being angry because of that comment, though. Wasn't that letter unearthed before the recording of My Man in the first place?
    Was it? I don't know. I would think that a private letter of a recently deceased man which contained passages which were potentially insulting to his peers wouldn't be revealed so quickly. And besides, GP wasn't a "legend" yet, people didn't care so much what he thought. It's nowadays that you encounter that quote so often.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    .... The Eagles for all their drug issues have survived and lived long and productive lives and will die old old men having survived the slings and arrows that come from not flaming out and leaving a young, beautiful corpse.
    Yep - that's the thing that I think eventually set them apart from all the others. They were always perfectionist and professional in their approach no matter what was going on behind the scenes. They knew to become something special that they would have to create some very high quality music. I think that most would agree that they succeeded and despite a "14 year vacation", they also survived. This is why they now stand in an elite class with just a few other legendary bands, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun
    I guess "demeanor" might be the wrong word. It's mostly an eye contact and smile thing, certainly directed mostly at the ladies in the audience. Compare the Christine's Tune/Hot Burrito #1 clip(which was before his Jagger thing) with the Eagles' 73 BBC show and you may get an idea of the influence.
    I can see what you are saying, SS. I found this on YouTube ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-od3vmRaLHE[/ame]

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

I always thought that Jackson was the one who went for the 'gram' look.

if you have seen the movie 'almost famous' the guitar player in the band does a great Glenn Frey imitation... he even kind of sounds like him and the stuff he says sounds just like how Glenn talks....

my daughter bought the dvd and I watched it with her (it was one of those 'hey dad, was this how it was?' kind of things) and I was floored..... it was right on the money on a lot of things... but, the cameron crowe character was kinda 'cleansed'... I saw/met/hung out at some of the same events etc that he was at and, well, he is a LOT creepier in person (at least he was) than they portrayed him... and Ben Fong Torres is a lot scoungier too...

There was a point in the Burritos after Gram had been fired, that they wanted to bring Don Henley into the band....

The troubadour is kind of the connecting point for all these guys (and then headed to Topanga)....

If you have never heard Stephen Stills Manassas record... it is an interesting capturing of a bunch of different things going on at the time... there are definitely some sounds that Joe Walsh heard and learned and cultivated....
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Border Desperado

My Man is Bernie's finest work in my opinion, and it's a shame it's never made an Eagles compilation. I doubt it was due to the Eagles being angry because of that comment, though. Wasn't that letter unearthed before the recording of My Man in the first place?
    I'd agree.... but, I think it hasn't made the compilations simply as a money thing... and it would be easy to make the argument NOT to include it, so it is rationalized and then dis-included.

So, if there is a 'dig' to it, it isn't toward Gram but toward Bernie.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well bender, I'm glad you mentioned the movie "Almost Famous" here. First of all, I absolutely LOVE that movie and agree that it is a pretty accurate depiction of the rock and roll lifestyle back in the day. I also agree that the Russell Hammond character is very 'Glenn-like', and Billy Crudup was really well cast in the role. But the funny thing is that there is the scene in the movie when William and Penny Lane are walking down the hall at the Continental "Riot" House, and there is a couple in one of the rooms beautifully harmonizing on a duet. Every single time I see that couple, I always think of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

When I watched that movie, as soon as I heard the line about how it was good that they didn't have Glyn Johns produce their last album, my interest in it went down the toilet . . .

I'd never even seen that movie until I read an interview with Cameron Crowe where he said he based the character of Russell Hammond on Glenn Frey. Of course I had to run out and rent it after that! I liked it so much that I bought it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    When I watched that movie, as soon as I heard the line about how it was good that they didn't have Glyn Johns produce their last album, my interest in it went down the toilet . . .
    In the Burritos book, Bernie makes the comment that he thought that Johns would make them rock, but Bernie knew that the only reason Johns was interested in them is that their vocals were so pure... he wanted them more as the "Sons of the Desert"... classic, right?

dreamer, good catch on the riot house emmylou thing... I'll have to watch that movie again... I kind of watched it haphazardly with my daughter... she soooo loved Penny Lane (it kinda scared me! ha ha)

it is too bad that the music alone isn't enough... being in a band is a very freaky thing... even at my age, we had to let a guy go (he'd say he quit, ha ha) because his ego and sense of his role just got totally out of whack... and we're a regular old bar band!

All that in fighting and pettiness... when bands DO stay together, I'm surprised... I went to a 60th wedding anniversary awhile back for my uncle and aunt. Everyone was so in awe of them... except... they hate each other and my uncle drove my aunt completely batty... I don't know if longevity is that great of feat!

For my money, I love the Glynn Johns stuff... my joke with a buddy is that country rock as a 'thing' began with 'Sin City' and ended with 'Hotel California'... it is my favorite music other than Buck Owens, the Byrds and the Beatles.