Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're Given Your Own Radio Show: What's the First Song You Play?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: You're Given Your Own Radio Show: What's the First Song You Play?

Our local "classic hits" station has been doing something like this for years. Listeners can sign up and get their own "program" for 1 hours. It's called "Hey Mom, I'm on KLH!".

Hubby and I often listen to it and we're amazed at how lame some people's choices are (now I know it's a personal taste thing), but I can say that some people pick some really boring songs to start off with, and it's a real turn off. Also, I'd stay away from the obvious choices and the other extreme, the obscure choices.

And some of the dedications people make during their show! We just crack up. "This one goes out to my 3 year old daughter" and they play "Slow Ride" ..or "This is for my Mom and Dad-today's their anniversay!" and they play "Cat Scratch Fever"

I'm sure everyone goes into it thinking their hour will be the best in the history of radio programming!

ticky, you know what they say about great minds...I'd start with Funk 49 as well.

Molly, you need to sign up for that and show these people what good music is!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Back to the subject of this thread:

I would begin with the top two rock songs of all time: Hotel California and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Then I would follow it up with Take It Easy. I am mostly in the car when I listen to the radio, so "Running down the road tryin' to loosen my load" always works for me.

I was giving this question a lot of thought, and when I woke up this morning, I had my answer! (By the way, I like this thread-was it Amarillo who started it? Great idea!)
    At any rate, I would start out by playing the Eagles doing "How Long". I would explain how they used to perform this song way back when, in the 70's. and how they finally decided to record it for their 2007 album, Long Road Out of Eden. Then I would go back through the Eagles catalog, playing old songs, and interspersing them with other artists that I love, who are in a similar genre. I know I'd have a ball doing this!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I loved this thread so I added it to my Sweet board a couple days ago. It's hilarious because of course here 95% of the songs mentioned are Eagles, there 95% of the songs are Sweet and then of course there's a few other artist interspersed. Pretty predictable of course but it is interesting to see the reasons why we pick the Eagles song or Sweet song we do to start off the Radio Show.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    here 95% of the songs mentioned are Eagles, there 95% of the songs are Sweet
    While I'm not admitting to anything, we... might be just a tad biased. Just a smidge.

I'm still undecided, and as such rather enjoying living vicariously through everyone else's suggestions.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    ...I would begin with the top two rock songs of all time: Hotel California and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Interesting idea.... so, if they are the top two songs of all time... do they need more exposure? what is the idea of your show? or are you secretly clear channel posting here to convince that we need to hear the same songs even more?
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well bender, I'm not DonFan so I can't answer for her. But the top rock songs of all time, no matter what you think they are, will always be given more exposure whether they need it or not. It only stands to reason that the best songs ever deserve to get played over and over because they are the best songs ever. I mean we don't want to deprive future generations the opportunity to hear these songs, now do we???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I put way too much thought into this kind of stuff and then usually never answer the question because I can't decide! But on a whim, since this is an Eagles message board I will go with my favorite Joe song, Walk Away simply because when I hear the opening licks I always say, "Alright!", and turn up the volume.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    Interesting idea.... so, if they are the top two songs of all time... do they need more exposure? what is the idea of your show? or are you secretly clear channel posting here to convince that we need to hear the same songs even more?
    there IS a reason they get so much play...