Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Playin' It Cool"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Celebration of "Playin' It Cool"!

Hard to believe that Tim's Playin' It Cool was released 25 years ago today. I'll make some further comments later, but for now I just want to say ...

Happy 25th Anniversary Playin' It Cool!!!
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 10-01-2009 at 08:43 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: "Playin It Cool" turns 25

Okay - I have listed the songs on Playin' It Cool in the order that I like them. Overall, this is a really good album and Tim really rocks some of the tunes. As you will see, I really like that. The rockers are my favorites - the harder, the better in this case. I love it when Tim does ballads, but he shows me more versatility when he rocks out. So here is my list ...

Gimme the Money – I love Tim’s gruff vocals a.k.a. Tim shows his harder edge and the very smokin’ Walsh guitar is incredible. All around really good song musically, vocally, lyrically, and melodically.

Wrong Number – As I said, I love it when Tim rocks out and here we have one of the rare times he tells someone off – you go Tim!

Something’s Wrong – I love the vocals, including JD’s background vocals; again, great music and guitar work in this song.

Tell Me What You Dream – This is by far my favorite ballad on the album; - so pretty, The sax in the song is gorgeous and really adds to the angst of Tim's vocals and lyrics.

Playin’ It Cool – I really like the rockin’ guitar solo and bass; a very catchy tune.

Voices – This song has superb vocals, but I’m not crazy about the melody.

Take a Good Look Around You – This is a very sweet pleasant tune - very easy on the ears.

Lonely Girl – Tim vocals are really pretty in this song, but the chorus and music are way too repetitious for my liking so it's not a favorite.

So Much In Love – This song reminds me a lot of Top of the Stairs; again, Tim's vocals are great, but this is just not my favorite style.

Default Re: "Playin It Cool" turns 25

This isn't my favorite of Tim's albums, but it's good a lot of good material. In order of how much I like 'em:

Tell Me What You Dream - When we did Tim Survivor a while back, this song totally got stuck in my head. From the outset, the minor key and the prominent bass creates a mood that carries you through the whole song. Now THIS is a vocal where he sounds like he's feeling it alright... very smoky and sexy, yet edged with pain. The subtle instrumentation works very well under the vocal... and the sax solo is hot!

Lonely Girl - This song is interesting and different. You have a quiet, subdued verse that suddenly brightens into the chorus about the "lonely girl." It's incongruous, but strangely, it works. I think it's effective because that unexpected element makes you sit up straight and take notice. Timothy is good at throwing the unexpected at you and making what would be trite into something intriguing. Great song.

So Much in Love - Tim sounds great on this! The song is so cutesy and sugar-sweet that normally, it would make me gag. However, those little snaps, those overlaid harmonies, Tim's sincere vocal - who can resist?

Voices - This is another one where Tim throws a curveball at you with unusual phrasing and melodic shifts. Doing it largely a capella was a great choice as well. Tim has an amazing voice and it is wonderfully showcased here.

Take a Good Look Around You
    - Another great song with an interesting structure and melody. The keys and tone keeps changing. The chorus is my favorite part. I love the pause before "....'cause I'll be gone" and the jazzy way he says it.

Playin' It Cool - The lyrics are cute and the tune is often catchy. The guitar solo at the end is cool. However, this one is not a favorite of mine. The weird noises before the third chorus - the breathy "Ow! Ow! OWW"s - are really bizarre and it's almost a little TOO cutesy.

Wrong Number - This has a good beat and I like the retro sound as it works up to the tag line, but once it reaches it... kaput. The song's chorus doesn't work, IMHO. The vocal doesn't have energy and anger - it doesn't sound like Tim's feeling it. Therefore, this one is not much of a favorite.

Something's Wrong - This one doesn't do a lot for me. The verses seem stilted and the music doesn't really seem to work with the lyrics; the music doesn't convey angst to me, nor does Tim's howl about halfway through. It's a very generic 80s song. Again, good guitar work in there, but little else to recommend it.

Gimme the Money - What an ignominious way to end this album! Yikes. The lyrics are trite, the melody is unremarkable, and his vocal is overshadowed by a belching guitar. As for the cash register noise - please! The end chant doesn't work either. This is one time when the unexpected flops... because it's unexpectedly bad! Thumbs down!

ETA: I just looked at Dreamer's list - How freaking hilarious that my list is pretty much opposite to hers! Just shows you how very subjective these things truly are!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: "Playin' It Cool" turns 25

Oh my, Soda - that is too funny. I guess it is no secret that our musical tastes differ 'somewhat'. Sometimes makes ya wonder, huh!

A couple songs to celebrate!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZx5ZHixkI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGHr9qhTFOo[/ame]

And of course Tim's first video!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-rngzNR4Z0[/ame]

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Geez--I don't really know what to say. It's all good for me! It's my least favorite of his albums but that doesn't really matter to me of course-it still gets played. What's always been funny to me is the fact that his music is so out of the norm for me to listen to yet I can't get enough of it! It's never made much sense to me.

My favorite track on the album has to be Gimme The Money closely followed by So Much In Love, Wrong Number, Playin' It Cool (if only for the cheesy video!) & Tell Me What You Dream. But like I said, it's all good.

Let's face it, when it comes to a Tim album, I'm hard to disappoint. Imagine that!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: Celebration of "Playin' It Cool"!

Just reviving this thread to once again wish Playin' It Cool a happy birthday!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I wasn't aware of this but yet I pulled the album out last night and played it, much to Larry's dismay! LOVE Gimme The Money and So Much In Love and of course Playin' It Cool.

He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Hey, Tim is right in style now with his animal print shirt!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten