Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles, CA 10-14-09

Default Los Angeles, CA 10-14-09

Okay Nancy open your eyes and the rest of you night owls. Here is the down-low.

Guest Musicians: Kenny Wayne Shepard and Van Dyke Parks
    Band:
    Drums/Percussion: Herman M somethin' (can't read my notes)
    Keyboards/Bass Guitar: Chris Farmer (plays with Beach Boys)
    Bobby Carolos: Guitar, Bass, Techie
    Lead/Rhythm Guitar and Partner in Crime: Hank Lenderman
    Back-up Singers: 3 Black women. Didn't recognize any of them but they are on the new CD.

Set List: (16 songs) Concert Length: 90 minutes

1. Feed The Fire
    2. Friday Night
    3. Melancholy
    4. One More Mile
    5. I Can't Tell You Why
    6. White Boy From Sacramento
    7. Keep On Tryin'
    8. I Don't Mind
    9. What Am I Gonna Do (Richie Furay song)
    10. Parachute
    11. Secular Praise
    12. Ella Jean (Played harmonica & Acoustical Guitar ala Dylan)
    13. Downtime
    14. Compassion
    15. A Good Day
    Encore
    16. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
    17. Love Will Keep Us Alive

No cameras as expected. No pix.

But here is the BIG NEWS-After the show he and the band plus Kenny Wayne and his daughter Jeddrah, came out to the lobby and mixed and mingled for about 10 minutes. He signed autographs and gave everyone a few seconds of one-on-one time. There were mini-posters of the cover of Expando lying around so I had him sign one but only after gushing all over him like a complete IDIOT during my 60 seconds of face-time! Believe it or not a lot of people left right after the show and missed a golden op. This was an impromptu M&G so I have no idea if he'll do it at all his shows.

A great show. Very sixities folk rock show with a lot of ancedotal stories about the songs. He missed a few notes and stumbled over the lyrics of one song but otherwise a stellar performance. His hair was very curly and he had on the brown silk shirt with a the brown vest and work boots.

He played 6 string acoustical guitars (mostly Martins) on the majority of the songs but he did pick up the bass for the classics. He did the final song with just Hank Lenderman accompanying him on an acoustical six string. Everyone left the stage but the two of them for that number. Quite moving.

Great show for $20 I must say. The place was packed and the seats were great. I got front row center of course but every seat was a good one. Most of the people were industry people but a lot of fans were there too and they ranged in age from the early twenties to my age; the sixty-somethings.

And as expected, we were given a lecture before the show about talking and cameras. The only sour note was the drunk ex-Airforce woman behind me that Timmy finally told to shut up-in a round about way. He essentially told her she "needed too much attention" during a break between songs. Her friend almost hit her and told her off. The friend tried before Timmy cracked to shut her up but the Beeach wouldn't listen. Timmy was a bit pissed. Never saw him get pissed before. She calmed down after that but the first three or four songs she was a total whack-job.

Lastly, right across the street was a strip club! Nice!

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGalOnTheProwl
    Last edited by carol7lynn; 10-15-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Timothy B. Schmit in Los Angeles - Oct. 14!

OMFrickin'G----Kenny Wayne Shepherd also---I will frickin' DIE if he shows up also in Chicago!!!!

Love the setlist!!! Sounds great! Hopefully in Chicago we will be allowed cameras for some pics.

I've got to read your review over again CL to get it all---you had me jumping up and down- LITERALLY- with the KWS in the second line!! I can't believe he'd be going out with Tim --hopefully for all the shows!!

ETA at 8:35---HELLO--anyone else out there as excited as I am after reading CL's review? I mean, I am practically jumping out of my skin this morning!!! Talk to me people! I need someone to share their enthusiasm with me!
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 10-15-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Looks like Kenny is going to be on the Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise Oct. 17, 21 and 24, so he might not be in Chicago.

I'm so excited about this show! Thanks CL for the set list and all of the other juicy details. I can't wait to hear Timothy talking about these new songs and playing them for us!

I bet he will do a short meet & greet in Chicago. Looks like he's not offering Expando at the shows - at least not until the 20th. Dang!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Don't burst my bubble PM! He has time after the show in San Diego on the 17th to fly to Chicago and doesn't have to be back out to San Diego till the 21st. He will be in Chicago and I am bringing KWS gear to have signed.

Who is going to volunteer to hold me upright if I indeed get a chance to meet Timothy? This job will also entail speaking for me also because I'm sure all that will come out of my mouth will be mumbling and drool. Now the big decision-what to bring to have him sign.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Thank you so much for the review, CL! This is so exciting!! I so hope he does the M&G for other shows, too! I'm sure surprised there were no copies of Expando for sale but maybe there's some kind of contractual obligation to wait, who knows? Looks like he plays every song on the album except "I Don't Mind," so we'll get a preview even without an actual CD!

I cannot WAIT to hear these songs and that version of LWKUA sounds wonderful.

Again, thank you so much for all the details CL!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Who is going to volunteer to hold me upright if I indeed get a chance to meet Timothy? This job will also entail speaking for me also because I'm sure all that will come out of my mouth will be mumbling and drool.
    No way, Missy! You are going to have it together enough to talk to the man! Start planning now what you generally want to say. It will still sound sincere when you meet him! I'll hold you up but you're going to speak!
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 10-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    ~ Cathy ~

I'm bringing my copy of the "Boys Night Out" single I got a while back for him to sign. This is so cool!!!

And yes Willie, you've gotta say SOMETHING!

ETA: Too bad about cameras. I want photos! And if anyone gets all chatty around me, well, they better watch out or they might get hurt!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I just knew that he would do a M&G! I'm so excited for you girls!!!!!!

Would it be out of line for me to print the new picture of him out on glossy photo paper and have him sign that?
    ~ Cathy ~

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Would it be out of line for me to print the new picture of him out on glossy photo paper and have him sign that?
    I'm sure that he would be honoured to sign it.