Thread: Los Angeles, CA 10-14-09

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Los Angeles, CA 10-14-09

Okay Nancy open your eyes and the rest of you night owls. Here is the down-low.

Guest Musicians: Kenny Wayne Shepard and Van Dyke Parks
    Band:
    Drums/Percussion: Herman M somethin' (can't read my notes)
    Keyboards/Bass Guitar: Chris Farmer (plays with Beach Boys)
    Bobby Carolos: Guitar, Bass, Techie
    Lead/Rhythm Guitar and Partner in Crime: Hank Lenderman
    Back-up Singers: 3 Black women. Didn't recognize any of them but they are on the new CD.

Set List: (16 songs) Concert Length: 90 minutes

1. Feed The Fire
    2. Friday Night
    3. Melancholy
    4. One More Mile
    5. I Can't Tell You Why
    6. White Boy From Sacramento
    7. Keep On Tryin'
    8. I Don't Mind
    9. What Am I Gonna Do (Richie Furay song)
    10. Parachute
    11. Secular Praise
    12. Ella Jean (Played harmonica & Acoustical Guitar ala Dylan)
    13. Downtime
    14. Compassion
    15. A Good Day
    Encore
    16. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
    17. Love Will Keep Us Alive

No cameras as expected. No pix.

But here is the BIG NEWS-After the show he and the band plus Kenny Wayne and his daughter Jeddrah, came out to the lobby and mixed and mingled for about 10 minutes. He signed autographs and gave everyone a few seconds of one-on-one time. There were mini-posters of the cover of Expando lying around so I had him sign one but only after gushing all over him like a complete IDIOT during my 60 seconds of face-time! Believe it or not a lot of people left right after the show and missed a golden op. This was an impromptu M&G so I have no idea if he'll do it at all his shows.

A great show. Very sixities folk rock show with a lot of ancedotal stories about the songs. He missed a few notes and stumbled over the lyrics of one song but otherwise a stellar performance. His hair was very curly and he had on the brown silk shirt with a the brown vest and work boots.

He played 6 string acoustical guitars (mostly Martins) on the majority of the songs but he did pick up the bass for the classics. He did the final song with just Hank Lenderman accompanying him on an acoustical six string. Everyone left the stage but the two of them for that number. Quite moving.

Great show for $20 I must say. The place was packed and the seats were great. I got front row center of course but every seat was a good one. Most of the people were industry people but a lot of fans were there too and they ranged in age from the early twenties to my age; the sixty-somethings.

And as expected, we were given a lecture before the show about talking and cameras. The only sour note was the drunk ex-Airforce woman behind me that Timmy finally told to shut up-in a round about way. He essentially told her she "needed too much attention" during a break between songs. Her friend almost hit her and told her off. The friend tried before Timmy cracked to shut her up but the Beeach wouldn't listen. Timmy was a bit pissed. Never saw him get pissed before. She calmed down after that but the first three or four songs she was a total whack-job.

Lastly, right across the street was a strip club! Nice!

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGalOnTheProwl
    Last edited by carol7lynn; 10-15-2009 at 12:22 PM.