Thread: Expando Reviews!

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

I'm in!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Me too

FYI, Tim just posted Expando West Coast tour dates on his official site.

Quote Originally Posted by nnhgirl View Post
    FYI, Tim just posted Expando West Coast tour dates on his official site.
    Tickets to the San Francisco date $20.
    Air fare to 'Frisco from the UK about $650 (economy)

Though my daughter did ask me earlier today what I wanted for Christmas....... Unfortunately I have a feeling her reply to that suggestion might be

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've been trying to listen to Expando as much as possible so I can write my review and what happens? My car cd player keeps quitting! This is usually where I do most of my cd listening, so it's really making me mad. It looks like other measures will have to be taken. But I'm really bummed about this. My car is only 2 years old and it has a really nice stereo system! Grrrr.

As for Expando, I really love it. I (tried) to subject my husband to it last week. (My car, my music!) He says I just like it cause Tim is an Eagle! This is not true! I really like different kinds of music and like to try new stuff. He likes what he likes (classic rock and a bit of country) and does not have an open mind about it. I really thought he would, so I am disappointed. Oh well!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I know. I get the feeling that my hubby could take it or leave it too. I think it definitely helps that we're on the board every single day, looking at pictures, keeping up with them and literally waiting here for them to do something!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    He says I just like it cause Tim is an Eagle! This is not true!
    You know, I was wondering if "I" only liked it because Tim is an Eagle, but I don't think so. It's no secret, I'm not a fan of most of his past solo work... but I do love old Poco. I really think that Expando is great. I can listen to the whole CD w/out saying, "I don't really like this song"... of course I like some more than others, but overall, it's good... really, really good! I even took a few days break to see how I'd feel when I came back to it... still love it. Granted, it's only 3 wks old and I may tire of some songs, but overall, I honestly feel that since this came from a geniune place inside him, that's what makes it so great!

My copy of Expando has just arrived! Yippee! I'll listen to it and write down my thoughts as soon as possible.

OK. I have only listened to this album through once, on my headphones, but wow - I am already looking forward to filling the living room with this CD today! It made me smile right from the very first notes. I just love the folky, funky, laid-back style Tim's got going on on this record. It's exactly my kind of thing. I already have a few initial favourites - namely, One More Mile, Parachute, Friday Night, Downtime and A Good Day. Quite often, the beginnings of the songs drift along nicely, and then the chorus kicks in, and really takes you by storm. Then you KNOW what the song's about, and you want more.

One More Mile
    - As soon as this track started, I began to smile. It's exactly my kind of music. Love the folk sound and the won't-be-beaten lyrics. Tim's voice sounds great on this track. Very funky.

Parachute
    - I can tell this is going to be a favourite. Definitely one of the most commercial tracks - but in a good way. It does sound quite CSN-esque, and I love it for that. It's both easy to listen to, and rocky. It's got the soothing sound and melody of CSN songs, with the bluesy guitar in the background. I love how it launches into the chorus. Fantastic!

Friday Night - I love this song! It drifted along nicely at first, but then it hit the chorus and I just smiled. It's such a fun song, but so romantic too. I think Soda's spot-on. Tim takes you on a journey with this song, hence the slow, slightly dejected first verses, then the verse with the bells in the background (they really help to conjure up the idea of the 'warm breeze floating through the window') and then the folky, upbeat 'slip into your best dress' part. I really, really like it.

Ella Jean - My opinions on this seem to be similar to others that I have read. Very sweet, likable and melodic. I don't think it will be a favourite, but that's just because there are other fantastic songs on this album. This is a lovely, personal, romantic song. A nice album track.

White Boy From Sacramento
    - I was quite looking forward to this one, as it seemed to be pretty popular amongst other Borderers. I like it, but I have to say, I wasn't overly thrilled by it until around 3 and a half minutes, and then wow, it really kicks in! From that point on, it's the song I wanted it to be. Funky and fun. I like the self-deprecating, humourous lyrics, and the voice is something different. Good on Tim!

Compassion - I think this will be a grower. It kind of slipped past me upon first listen, although the way he sings 'compassion' stuck in my head. I like the sensitive, honest lyrics and the harmonies that kick in at around 3.00, followed by 'I could be your lover...' That raises the song to a new level for me.

Downtime - Another one of my initial favourites. I crave time to myself, peace and quiet, the simple things in life, so I totally know where he's coming from with the lyrics. I love the more upbeat sound of the chorus. It makes his 'downtime' a really welcome, positive thing. The kind of experience that makes you feel warm and happy just thinking about it. It's like a welcome relief, contrasted with the deeper, repetitive nature of the verses. I love this one.

Melancholy - When this first started, I had a rendition of Monty Python's 'I'm So Worried' in my head. Where a guy with a droning voice is singing "I'm so worried about whether I should go on, or whether I should just stop. (pause) I'm so worried about whether I should have stopped..." LOL. As Soda suggested, I wondered whether Tim meant for it to sound a bit melodramatic and self-pitying or not. Either way, I like it. And, even if it is self-indulgent, I've definitely been there. I'll need to give it a few more listens to get a true feel for it, I think.

I Don't Mind - This is something different, and I love the fact that Tim has interjected this kind of humour into his work. He's also played around with different musical styles and sounds. The opening was totally unexpected, which is great! I expect most of us can identify with the lyrics. Sometimes you really have to reach a point where you let other people's moods wash over you. There's nothing else you can do, unless you want to allow them to spoil your day. Having said that, I like the fact that he is honest about this person's faults, but he finishes up by saying they'll always be his friend. He wants them to be happy - he can have that kind of goodwill because he's happy himself.

Secular Praise - This is just gorgeous. The lyrics are wonderful. I love the descriptions of childhood, and phrases like 'Superman strong.' It's understated, but inspirational. As with a lot of songs on this album, it builds in strength as it goes on. I'll be listening to this many more times, I know.

A Good Day - I like the counting at the beginning. That immediately gives it a 'live' feel, and a little sense of fun. There are some great lyrics - 'don't say a word 'cause I just woke up', 'we can talk about anything you like' and 'we'll make love 'til we can't see straight.' I love Tim's voice on this song. Sweet, melodic and funky. I think this is a great choice for the final track. It leaves you on an upbeat note. I love how he sings 'some make a wish and some like to pray, but everybody just wants to have a good day.' So true!

This album has really lifted my spirits after a week or so at home. He comes across as a really sensitive, compassionate lyricist and vocalist who is willing to wear his heart on his sleeve. The lyrics aren't sappy though - they're honest, but optimistic. I love his laid-back, soothing melodies and the sense of fun that he brings to some of the songs. I didn't realise this album would be so folky and funky, and I love it for that! I'd love to have this album on in the car, as I'm driving out to the beach to get some 'downtime'. It kind of helps you to see the bigger picture and really focuses on the simple things in life. Like, 'hey, we all get down sometimes, we all stare at the TV and wonder what the hell we're doing... but you just need to get out there, however hard it is, and breathe in that fresh air. I promise you, you'll feel better. We're all in this together.' I want to give Tim a big hug! I genuinely love this album already. It's going to be played an awful lot in the coming days, I can promise you.