Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Reviews!

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

Well, I'll remedy that right now! Heading over to Schmit Sexiness...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Finally I have it in hand! Took 2 trips to the stupid post office this morning because when I went in around 9:30, the girl said she knew she had seen a pkg come in this morning for me (advantage of small town living-they all know you) but they didn't have the packages sorted out yet. Went back at 10:30 and I almost jumped over the counter for it myself. I had to run into town for errands and groceries so I opened it in the truck, popped it in and listened to it on my journeys.

I will hold off saying much just that as I thought from the concert, my 2 faves are definitely White Boy and Friday Night with Parachute right behind them. Will listen some more this weekend and get back with my review for what it will be worth. You know I don't do those to good but will give it a try.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I think I’m finally ready to post my review. Remember these are just my opinions. Take them for what they’re worth!

This album is Timothy all grown up. He’s finally doing what he wants to do and the heck with everyone else! Not having any of Timothy’s past solo albums, I only have the songs from Timothy’s Solo Song Survivor game to compare these to, but there’s no comparison! I like most of these new songs a lot. Every day I have a different one playing in my head. This must be such an exciting time for him! I wish him all the best.

Now the individual songs in the order in which they are on the CD;

One More Mile: Like LTL, this is my least favorite song on the album, which isn’t a big deal, (you usually don’t love them all, right?) but what’s disappointing is that it’s the first song. I wish he had opened with Friday Night or perhaps Downtime. One More Mile reminds me of one of those old black spirituals. What might have helped it is for the background singers from White Boy From Sacramento to join him on the “One more mile” parts. But even that would not make this song a favorite of mine.

Parachute: This is definitely the most commercially appealing song on the album and I love it! Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s smokin’ guitar adds volumes to this CSN-like soft rock tune. I also love Graham Nash’s background vocals, especially when he surprises me by going up a little higher than I’m expecting him to during the chorus on the words 'enough', 'about' and 'overdrive'. This would be great to hear on the radio!

Friday Night: My absolute favorite, this should have been the first song on the album. Just when you think the song has peaked at the “Slip into your best dress/I could be your lover” part, then comes the celebratory sound of the instrumentals, loud and boisterous like something you would here at a Bavarian Beer Fest. The meandering organ tops this tune off like a cherry on a sundae! And nothing beats hearing Timothy say "Woo!" Can’t play it enough!

Ella Jean: This is a very simple song, all Timothy. Not one of my favorites, the verses sound like a children’s schoolyard song. The harmonica saves it from being my least favorite.

White Boy From Sacramento: This boogy woogie song is Timothy’s attempt at self deprecation ala Joe’s Life’s Been Good. A cute song unlike anything we’ve heard from Timothy, he takes us back to his childhood growing up in Sacramento. Love the background singers!

Compassion: This is a sweet simple song about how Timothy sees himself in the world. Once again, all Timothy. I’m not often a fan of the falsetto, but in this case it works. I wish I could see how they mix this song to make his 'ahhhs' sound like a full chorus!
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 10-26-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    ~ Cathy ~

Thanks for the reviews, guys. I'm holding off reading them until I can write my own but wow, they look impressive!

In the meantime, I found this photo of an "Expando" trailer home like the one Tim lived in:

http://www.allmanufacturedhomes.com/...do_trailer.htm

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Downtime: This is another one of my favorites. You guys who have met me know that I’m a little laid back, so I can easily relate to the sentiments in this song. I love the accordion, the vibraphone and Dwight Yoakam and Kid Rock’s background vocals, not to mention Hank’s excellent finger snaps!

Melancholy: TBS’s best vocal on the album, IMO. Concerning the lyrics? Hey, we’ve all been there.

I Don’t Mind: Another one that doesn’t quite get there for me, this song sounds like circus music. And like LTL, I wonder who he’s singing about?

Secular Praise: Love it! The Blind Boys of Alabama assist in creating the goosebumps that rise on my arms when I listen to this song. Perfectly placed at second to last.

A Good Day: Yet another one of my favorites, the steel guitar helps this become the ‘country’ song on the album. Listening to the easy going lyrics, who of us would not like to have a day like this? A perfect song to close the album.

Here's something I hardly ever do on the board - a list! (Starting with my favorite)

Friday Night
    Parachute
    Downtime
    A Good Day
    Secular Praise
    Compassion
    Melancholy
    White Boy From Sacramento
    I Don't Mind
    Ella Jean
    One More Mile
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 10-25-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the Expando reviews, everyone. I'll have to work on mine as well.

Now, as far as this review that Soda posted the link to, I have to agree with those who think it was hilarious. In this case, the intent of the review was the comedic effect, IMO. I enjoy the humor in this case. What really rattles my cage is when a reviewer is just plain mean-spirited or uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I did a search for reviews and didn't find much, but this positive one popped up:

All Music Guide's review of Expando

I also found this - which is a mediocre review preceded by an absolutely hilarious lead-in featuring a fictional skit starring the Eagles. It does make fun of our guys, so if that upsets you, don't click the link! I laughed HARD though.

You Again?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Yeah PM, I'm happy you got around to doing your review, I enjoyed it! You were right, we did have similiar feelings on some of those. Secular Praise really does reach in and touch you.

Dreamer, just thinking back to that skit crackes me up. Henley having his Korean girl high five Frey. Timmoy "i wrote a song called EJ and it's for my wife". OMG, so funny! I think poking a little fun is fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Henley having his Korean girl high five Frey. Timmoy "i wrote a song called EJ and it's for my wife". OMG, so funny! I think poking a little fun is fine too.
    OMG - I know ltl. I actually meant to put that in my post and forgot to do it. The high-five is my favorite part, too. Now, I'm sorry, but that made me almost split a gut!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    On the other hand, Expando contains zero Glenn Frey, and because rock & roll math clearly states that an album’s net entertainment value exists in inverse proportion to the amount of Frey it features, Expando is better than any Eagles album recorded before Joe Walsh joined the band in 1976 (because rock & roll math also states that Some Joe Walsh trumps Any Glenn Frey). It’s still a mostly inconsequential piece of work, but if you’re looking for a homebrewed vanity project that sucks less than No Fun Aloud, this will be money well spent.

Excuse my lack of humour, then. I did not see any point in this utterly gratuitious paragraph. If that is not mean-spirited, I don't know what is.

FP - you certainly don't have to excuse yourself if you don't think this is funny. You are entitled to think whatever you want. I was just stating my opinion, not passing judgment on anyone. However, it is my opinion that the intent of this review is not mean-spirited. I just don't think that this guy is being serious. Now, while he may believe some of what he says, to me, the paragraph that you quoted is so exaggerated and sarcastic that it is clearly intended to be humorous. While I obviously don't agree with what he is saying, I can still see the humor in it - but that's just me.