Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC, NY 10/21/09

Default NYC, NY 10/21/09

Well, yes, Dreamer and I made it into the Bitter End without a hitch! In fact, other than Kay's ride from Va. into NJ (which took a bit longer than she expected...thankfully she had left plenty of time)...everything else fell together with precision timing! We learned from others later that Obama's return to Newark Airport did indeed affect traffic on the route we had taken in only 1-2 hours before, so it was very good we left from my work when we did. Kay arrived only 10 minutes after I did (hey, I said precision timing, didn't I?), hopped into my car, and off we went. Within one hour to the dot, with virtually no traffic at all (unheard of at the Holland Tunnel, in my experience), we were cruising past The Bitter End--checking out the line before finding a place to park. It was only 4:10 (doors were to open at 7), but there were about 10 people already there. At the last second, I realized that maybe it would be best for Dreamer to jump out and join the line, while I cruised a bit more for a parking space/lot, which she gamely did. By the time I arrived to join her 20 minutes later, I witnessed the first of several situations where Dreamer showed me that she 'plays well with others'...man, that girl could get a group of fence posts involved in a conversation within minutes of being left alone with them! (Kay, it's all good! ) I joined her in line, and she immediately introduced me to all 10 of the others...not only does she know their names, but she knows the different states they are all from, which other Timothy shows they have been to, and even that one woman's husband graduated from the HS in Bernardsville (the town I live in)! In fact, throughout the night, she finds at least 2-3 other links to my small town of about 7000 people (which for my part of Jersey, is small.) Which leads me to the next point...I have to say that overall, the Tim fans in this line were among the friendliest group of people I've ever had to stand in line with...not only the group of hard-core Tim fans in the front (from CA, MS, IL), but also the more casual fans that came along after us.

Very shortly after our arrival, the manager of the venue comes out to check out the scene, inquiring how many needed tix. When he saw us and our line position, he assured us we would get in--so we knew early on that we were all set. At that point, I needed a celebratory coffee. I hadn't seen an actual coffee shop in the short walk from the parking lot to The Bitter End, but I did see a grocery store in the next block...where I did get a nice cappucino. By the time I returned, Kay introduced me to some more people further behind us in line, including one of the other links to my town. These women ended up getting "NY's Best Pizza" to enjoy in line, and then sharing with us (well, actually only me...I guess Kay just wasn't hungry yet .) So these were a very nice group of Tim fans. Plus, they were later joined by another friend who had an extra pair of tix, so we were able to buy them from her so she wouldn't lose the $--plus saving 2 more tix for some poor souls at the end of the line.

Thankfully, the weather was beautiful, about 68 degrees, so no one minded the 3-hour wait in line. About 6:15, a black SUV pulled up and Timmy jumped out. No Jean, though. He hustled into the front door so fast, I couldn't get my camera ready quickly enough for a good shot. Oh well, better luck inside! His band members and equipment had arrived earlier in the afternoon, but we thought he was cutting it pretty close for the sound check. Finally, a little after 7 pm, they let us inside to be seated.

The first row of tables literally lined the stage, and were as close together as you could get them and still squeeze people in between to get into the seats. We snagged a front row table, 3rd left from center, directly in front of the keyboardist Chris Farmer. We sat in the chairs facing Timothy and the rest of the band. The other 4 seats filled in with a married couple and 2 separate singles...by the time I returned from the rest room, Dreamer was talking to them at length. One of them had a connection to my town as well--weird.

The show started just a few minutes after 8...right after announcing that photos would not be allowed. I was very disappointed, since our seats offered some prime photo ops. However, my camera takes some great indoor shots without flash, so I figured I would wait, see how things went, and take my chances as the night went on.

(I'm posting this, and then continuing on with the actual review of the show... don't worry. I just don't want to lose what I have so far!)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Default Re: NYC, NY 10/21/09

Tim came out to some good applause, and played his first song, The Shadow. After that, he spoke briefly about how happy he was to be in NY, and welcomed us to "his Fiesta." He actually used that a few times throughout the night, asking how we were enjoying the Fiesta, so that was a different twist. He then mentioned how he would do a few Poco and Eagles songs, but that most of the night would be devoted to his new album, which drew more cheers. It was obvious that quite a few of the crowd had the album and knew the songs, but there were also a number of others that were there mainly because of his Poco connection (at least the more vocal ones!)

The set list was identical to that in Chicago, so I will only mention what I thought were highlights for me; or else little comments or witticisms he made that were different from the other shows.

Friday Night absolutely rocked in concert! What a great song to have as the first one from the album! I reeeaaallly loved it live, and I already knew I loved it on the CD. I also felt the same way about White Boy and Parachute. Both are great songs on the CD, but there's an extra dimension to them live that make them outstanding in the concert setting. I think the thing about WB is that you don't expect him to be able to sing that low! It adds to the bluesy feel, and maybe a bit of the comedic tone, too. It was after this song that Tim introduced the 3 female backup singers...he seemed very proud to have them up there, and they added so much to the songs they sang on. Earlier, I had said in the other thread that Parachute was Poco-esque, and PM' s hubby felt that it had CSN undertones as well. Dreamer read on the liner notes today that Graham Nash sings backup on the CD in it, but I still can here Poco when I here it live!

Speaking of the introductions, I can't remember exactly when Tim introduced the rest of the band. However, during that time, there must have been one audience member that was being a little too loud for Tim's taste. All of a sudden, in the middle of the intros, he says, "Oh, am I disturbing you?" to hush the guy up; and then, chuckling, yells, "Four margaritas for table 7!" Not missing a beat, completes the intros. Smooth!

At one point, when he was switching guitar for bass, he commented how everyone in the band, except the drummer-- but including his guitar tech, has played bass at one point or another. "You can never have too many bass players!" Lots of laughter. He goes on to tell a story of how he got to play bass with Spinal Tap one night, and how excited he was. He even did a great little British accent here. He also mentioned how his wife Jean is in the first 5 minutes of the movie "Spinal Tap," for those of you who may have seen it. (I haven't.)

Tim said the "I can do whatever I want!" when intro-ing the Poco tunes, which he did one after the other. He also gave the same story about Richie Furay giving him the song What am I Gonna Do, and then giving it back to him because he was living the situation out. Although I had never heard this song before, Kay confirmed that at one point he hesitated and looked as if he forgot a line...but he recalled it only a touch late.

The best flub of the night came a few songs later. Tim had made a big deal of putting on his harmonica, and introducing the next song as being about the love of his life for the last 31 years. So, we were thinking Ella Jean. Then, Hank the guitarist interrupts Tim, and says no, that's not next. Tim catches himself, and realizes he has jumped ahead. So, he puts down the harmonica, and breaks into the rather derogatory put-down (yet fun!) song, I Don't Mind. What went through my mind during that song is exactly what he said when he finished..."Now, that song was not written about her!" He picks up the harmonica (actually, the fan seated right in front of him hands it to him, that lucky girl!) and continues to describe Ella Jean, and how he "wrote the song when she was away too long on a trip. Great move!" and then he gives this sly smirk and a wink, leaving no doubt as to what the reward for a song is in the Schmit household!

As far as facial expressions, both Kay and I swear that he gave our side of the room (us?) long sultry looks as he sang...well, maybe not long as in minutes or anything, but definitely more noticeable than I expected. I just kept thinking they would have made Willie melt. Oh, BTW, I became very brave with my camera shortly into the show when I saw others taking shots with flash without reprimand, so I have quite a few pix. (That will take until next week to post, because first I need my son to get them onto the computer, and then I may need help figuring out how to get them onto the Border. I'll shout out to one of you if I do.) Actually, the guy with the flash did get reprimanded eventually.

Unfortunately, there were no special guests, even though JD Souther was apparently nearby at NYU lecturing. And Timmy didn't meet nor greet. However, right before the encore (he just walked off to the side of the stage, and came back on), a front-and-center fan shoved a Poco album at his feet, and he did sign it--commenting something to the effect of her hitting paydirt.

Sooo, I've saved his biggest NEWS for last...Tim, Hank, and the girls (at separate times during the night) all said that this tour has been so much fun that THEY WILL BE DOING MORE SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a break, that is. I'm not sure the locations I heard are accurate...I heard more in NYC, and Paris...but that sure leaves a lot of other places left to go! I guess we need to watch the website for details.

At the end of the show, after Tim had escaped out the front door, Kay and I had our picture taken with the drummer (whose name escapes me at the moment.) I also shook hands with Hank, and told him what a great job they did...and he seemed genuinely and humbly pleased.

One final note: After talking again to the women who had been to 3 of the Timmy shows, they said that the actual show was very similar in all of them, but that the crowd was the best in Chicago! Gee, I wonder why? Just thought some of you would want to know!
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 10-27-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

EV, thanks for that great review. Sounds like you and Dreamer had a wonderful time!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Aaah--Our Timmy is such a great guy isn't he? I loved your review Eva. I can hardly wait till you get the pictures on, in fact, I'm thinking of a trip to Jersey this weekend to help out.

Great news about the additional shows! Maybe some more on here will get the chance to see him. I sure hope so, especially for the price of a ticket-it's the best concert value you can get.

I knew I did something wrong about getting him to sign my pic-I should of threw it up on stage at his feet. Darn it! Didn't think about that!

Sure hope you got some pictures of that "sultry" look! Isn't it a great one? You lucky lucky girls!!

Sounds like he stuck with some of the same jokes as Sunday night but did mix it up a bit. Hope he doesn't get stuck in a rut with the jokes like some band members do.

Whoo Hoo Chicago crowd! We were great and sounds like the only crowd that did not get chastised. BTW-how many were at the show last night?

Eva-I was so mad when I missed your call last night! I was picking up my daughter and had LROOE cranked. I guess that's as good as excuse as any anyways. I listened to your message 3 times! I was so happy you guys had gotten the tickets and got to see Tim arrived for sound check. How cool was that to see?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Nice review EV! I especially liked your take on Friday Night. Didn't you just love it when at the end of the bridge during the 'stop' right before the chorus he steps back to the beat and moves around while playing his accoustic?

The premature intro to Ella Jean was hilarious to read. Hey, if you're the performer and you make a flub what can you do but just laugh and go on with the show!

Of course I was thrilled to read that the fan said that the audience was the best in Chicago. I wonder if she meant the best or the best behaved?

Looking forward to hearing from Dreamer. In Chicago, Soda was the social butterfly. She is so friendly and outgoing she had everybody engaged in conversation at one point or another. Sounds like Kay is the same!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Great review and I am SSSOOO envious that you got to see him live! Obviously a super-great evening and I'm anxious to see the pictures.

I wonder if the woman from France who got his autograph is the one who posted the message on his Facebook or MySpace page? I was reading posts yesterday and she commented that she and her two children were flying in from Paris for the New York show! (Must be nice, huh?)
    I just need a little downtime.........

Thank you so much for your great review, I have really enjoyed to read the review.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Wow, what a terrific review! I love all the detail. I even love hearing about all the before stuff, too - it makes me feel like I was there! Tim sounds like he was having such fun and I love how he changes up things a bit even though the basics are the same.

I can't wait to see those photos!

More shows - what exciting news!! Interesting that you heard PARIS of all places! The overseas fans will die!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, I woke up this am with White Boy in my head! Made it to work only 10 minutes late...usually I'm 20 minutes late!

Willie, first and foremost, I was shocked, saddened and angered that you were not glued to your phone the entire afternoon and evening until you had assurance that Timothy would be seeing us...er, that we would be seeing Timothy! Hmmphf!
    I thought the same thing about how you should have gotten your autograph, Willie. It's not like he even missed a step--just reached down, grabbed the album and pen, and signed away. That fan held it up like a trophy and the whole place cheered.

Every seat in the house was taken, plus every corner was packed to the rafters with SRO--I had been told previously the capacity was 220, but I couldn't say if they might have squeezed a few more in. I do know that the married couple at our table, Poco fans, only called for the first time yesterday afternoon for info, didn't arrive until 6 pm (without tix, obviously), still managed to get 2 of the 30 openings, and then had the pleasure of sitting at a front table with us! How's that for lucky!!

Unless you've got the time to travel, I think you can hold off on that trip to Jersey this weekend. Once my son gets the pix onto the computer, I think I may have a resizing issue that I can either: 1. call you about (if you bother to answer your phone), or 2. PM one of the many techies (inc. you) about. Let me see what I can do first on my end.

Cathy, I love everything about Friday Night! He is sooo cool when he does that part you describe! My take on the Chicago crowd comments (from more than one fan) did not include "best behaved" in the context of Miss Manners---more like the most "into" the show...kind of a "crowd spirit" sort of thing---in a good way, of course!

Cynd, having not read Facebook or My Space, I can only surmise that the French woman is the same one I met at the concert---I talked to her twice. Once, on line for the rest room before the show, she was talking to Hank, begging that Tim come out after the show to sign. He only would say he wasn't sure about that for tonight, but then he mentioned the show in Paris. (He's also the one who mentioned more shows in NYC, after the show.) After the concert, she then came over to our table and asked that I email her my pix, which obviously I am happy to do.
    Last edited by eaglesvet; 10-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    ~Eva~

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Fantastic review. Great news about more shows but Paris??? Hey, who needs Paris when you've got Kansas City, TIM!!!