Page 110 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1542

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    A little strange, I think, Queen, Beatles & Lennon to Abba & Madonna. Wee bit of difference in the kind of music the everyone in the UK likes the best huh?
    At least it wasn't something like Morrissey.

I don't know why but Dancing Queen is one of my least favourite Abba songs. I have never got why it is so raved about. Compared with my two favourites, Knowing Me Knowing You & Money Money Money, I just find it bland.

Like A Prayer is a particular favourite of mine though; although my favourite Madonna track is Live To Tell.

1966 The Mamas and the Papas started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Monday Monday', it made No.3 in the UK. The group was reported, as saying they all hated the song except for its writer John Phillips.

1972 Reginald Dwight changed his name by Deed poll to Elton John.

1977 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hotel California', the group's fourth US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.

1992 A leather Jacket worn by John Lennon during 1960-1963, was sold at Christies, London, England for £24,200.

2006 Snow Patrol went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Eyes Open' the bands fourth album. Also a No.1 in Ireland, and Australia and a No. 27 hit on the US Chart. The bands first album 'Songs For Polarbears' peaked at No.143 when released in 1998.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1977 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hotel California', the group's fourth US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.
    The best song and album of all time!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Here, here!

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Man, Glenn looks completely WASTED in that shot Brooke <LOL>

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Oh, surely not!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

1940 Ricky Nelson was born.

1953 Billy Burnette is born.

1970 The Beatles twelfth and final album, Let It Be was released, (it was recorded before ‘Abbey Road’ and originally to be called Get Back). The album came in a deluxe-boxed edition with a Get Back book.

1976 Abba scored their third UK No.1 single with 'Fernando', the song went on to become ABBA's biggest selling single, with sales over 10 million. And also on day Abba started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with their 'Greatest Hits' album.

1982Genesis hits #40 with "Man on the Corner".

1993 Aerosmith entered the US album chart at No.1 with 'Get A Grip', a No.2 hit in the UK. The album went on to sell over 20 million copies worldwide as well as winning the band two Grammy awards.

1993 Mark Knopfler received an honorary music doctorate from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

2005 Bruce Springsteen was at No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Devils and Dust’ his 13th No.1 studio album.

(Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1993 Mark Knopfler received an honorary music doctorate from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

Ah. So he DID have one from the University of Geordieland before he got one from the University of Mackemland (Sunderland). I have a photo of him in the Sunderland robes but it's only right that he got one from Newcastle first.

My excuse to post the Sunderland photo is that it was taken in the Stadium Of Light. We did the tour last year.

You can resume normal service now.

1964 Chuck Berry began his first ever UK tour at The Astoria Theatre, London, supported by The Animals, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Karl Denver and the Nashville Teens.

1965 During a UK tour Bob Dylan played the first of two sold out nights at London's Royal Albert Hall. All four members of The Beatles were in the audience.

1980 'I Don't Like Mondays' by The Boomtown Rats won the best pop song and outstanding British lyric categories at the 25th Ivor Novello Awards. And Supertramp's 'The Logical Song' won Best Song Musically and Lyrically. Boomtown Rats lead singer Bob Geldoff was inspired to write the song after reading about the tragic shooting spree when 16-year-old Brenda Spencer killed two people and wounded nine others when she fired from her house across the street onto the entrance of San Diego's Grover Cleveland Elementary School.

1982 Ebony and Ivory (Paul McCartney with Stevie Wonder) was a hit.

1992 Bruce Springsteen made his North American network television debut on Saturday Night Live with host Tom Hanks.

1998 Jimmy Page appeared on US TV's 'Saturday Night Live' with rapper Sean 'Puffy' Combs and performed 'Come With Me' from the 'Godzilla' movie soundtrack. The song sampled the guitar riff from Led Zeppelin's song 'Kashmir'.
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick turns 61 today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWqxKqMV--w[/ame]

Billy Joel turns 62 today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBoHa3GArA[/ame]

Richie Furay turns 67 today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZzG5Ju1i_s[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low