Page 111 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1542

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Happy birthday to Billy Joel. I love this song; I have seen him play it at least four times.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g[/ame]

Isn't this the rock n roll history thread?

1960 The Silver Beetles (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Stuart Sutcliffe, and Tommy Moore) auditioned for promoter Larry Parnes and singer Billy Fury for a job as Fury's backing group. Parnes was also looking for backing group's for his lesser-known acts, and The Silver Beetles were selected as backing group for singer Johnny Gentle's upcoming tour of Scotland. The group had changed its name from 'The Beatals' to 'The Silver Beetles' after Brian Casser (of Cass and the Cassanovas) remarked that the name 'Beatals' was "ridiculous". He suggested they use the name 'Long John and the Silver Beetles', but John Lennon refused to be referred to as 'Long John'.

1964 Bob Dylan arrived in Britain for his first major UK tour including a show at London's Royal Festival Hall on the 17th of this month.

1967 this week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, Lulu, 'The Boat That I Row', No.4, The Tremeloes, 'Silence Is Golden', No.3, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, 'Somethin' Stupid', No.2, Mamas and the Papas, 'Dedicated To The One I Love', and No.1, Sandie Shaw, 'Puppet On A Sting.'

1969 Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, The Move, Status Quo, Tremeloes, Marmalade, Love Sculpture, Van Der Graaf Generator all appeared at Nottingham County Football Ground, Nottingham, England. Presented by John Peel, tickets 22/6 on the gate.

1969 Led Zeppelin made their first appearance on the UK album chart when the bands debut album charted at No.6, going on to spend 71 weeks on the UK chart. It entered the US chart the following week at No.10. Now considered one of the most important debuts in rock, creating an entirely new interpretation of the rock and roll genre because of the groundbreaking music and recording techniques. The album was recorded in 36 hours.

1975 Stevie Wonder played in front of 125,000 fans at a free concert near the Washington Monument to celebrate Human Kindness Day.

1986 Falco was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rock Me Amadeus.' Falco became the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single and the first German speaking artist to achieve a No.1 on the US charts.

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post

1986 Falco was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rock Me Amadeus.' Falco became the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single and the first German speaking artist to achieve a No.1 on the US charts.

I absolutely love this silly song!!! How can you not like it?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVikZ8Oe_XA[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    VERY Easily!!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post

Hmmm, it's easy for me!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

1967 this week's UK Top 5 singles: No.4, The Tremeloes, 'Silence Is Golden', No.2, Mamas and the Papas, 'Dedicated To The One I Love',
    This was my first year of college and those songs reverberated in the dorm! I really loved the Mamas and Papas. "California Dreaming" became my Anthem a year or two later...an unfulfilled Dream. In a way, I regret not dropping everything and riding my thumb out to the West Coast where so much was happening! But in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't. It was a crossroads in my own life....follow the dream to NOTHINGNESS or reevaluate where I was going and how I was getting there. I eventually did the latter and am glad now at my age that I did what I did when I did it! But that Dream is still very vivid.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    [/b]

Hmmm, it's easy for me!

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl
    VERY Easily!!
    Spoil sports!!!!

1941 Eric Burdon, vocalist for the Animals, is born in Newcastle, England.

1947 Claude Hudson "Butch" Trucks, of the Allman Brothers Band, is born in Jacksonville, Florida.

1958 Connie Francis was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with a cover of the 1923 song 'Who's Sorry Now.' Francis was the first female rock 'n' roll star to reach No.1.

1967, The Bee Gees made their Top Of The Pops debut performing 'New York Mining Disaster' on the UK TV show.

1974 Led Zeppelin attended Elvis Presley show at the Los Angeles Forum in California. After a shaky start to the show, Elvis stopped the band and jokingly said: “Wait a minute…if we can start together fellas, because we’ve got Led Zeppelin out there, lets try to look like we know what were doing.” All four members of Zeppelin met with Elvis after the show, spending over 2 hours backstage. Elvis asked for all the group’s autographs for his daughter Lisa Marie.

1974 Mike Oldfield hits #7 with "Tubular Bells".

1981 Bob Marley dies of brain, lung and stomach cancer at 11:45 a.m. in Miami, Florida.

1991 Roxette scored their fourth US No.1 single with 'Joyride.' The song was inspired by an interview with Paul McCartney who said that writing songs with John Lennon had been 'like a Joyride.'

1997 'Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix,' by Michael Jackson, is released. Containing eight remixes from 1995's 'HIStory: Past, Present, and Future, Book 1' and five new songs, it sells only one million copies
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

1974 Led Zeppelin attended Elvis Presley show at the Los Angeles Forum in California. After a shaky start to the show, Elvis stopped the band and jokingly said: “Wait a minute…if we can start together fellas, because we’ve got Led Zeppelin out there, lets try to look like we know what were doing.” All four members of Zeppelin met with Elvis after the show, spending over 2 hours backstage. Elvis asked for all the group’s autographs for his daughter Lisa Marie.
    Can you imagine Elvis wanting perfection to impress Led Zeppelin? Oh to have been a fly on the wall during that meeting after the show!! Wonder if Lisa Marie still has those autographs.