Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1542

Thread: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Today in Rock n' Roll History

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    I thought it was Don who said this?
    Me too.

It's usually attributed to Don, although as I've said in the past I think it was just a joke the Eagles made up for the "resumption" as opposed to something that was actually said to a reporter. If it was something Don said to a reporter, I've never seen the interview it was quoted in (although it's certainly not inconceivable I've missed it). It's not something he said regularly to members of the press, though, which is sometimes the impression given when people explain the name of the resumption. Still, that's the story and they're stickin' to it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

1969 Pink Floyd appeared at Mothers Club in Birmingham, England. The show was recorded for the forthcoming album ‘Ummagumma'.

1974 a free afternoon event was held in the parking lot of the University of Connecticut, Ice Hockey Arena in Storrs. The four acts that appeared, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, Fairport Convention and Fat Back. Springsteen then went on to play another gig that evening at the University of Hartford in Connecticut.

1975 Pink Floyd played the last of a four night run at Los Angeles' Sports Arena. A total of 511 fans were arrested over the four nights for possession of marijuana.

1981 Ringo Starr married actress and one time 'Bond girl' Barbara Bach. The pair met while filming the movie, Caveman, with Dennis Quaid and Shelley Long. In attendance at the wedding were George Harrison and Paul McCartney.

1994 Chicago scored their third US No.1 album with 'Chicago VII'.

2009 Aerosmith were to hold a free concert in Hawaii to placate angry fans who brought a legal case against them. Fans filed a class action case, which claimed the band had cancelled a sold-out show in Maui two years ago, leaving hundreds of fans out of pocket in favour of a bigger gig in Chicago. Lawyers for the would-be concert-goers said Aerosmith had now agreed to put on a new show, and would pay all expenses. ‘Everyone who bought a ticket to the original concert will receive a free ticket.

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    1975 Pink Floyd played the last of a four night run at Los Angeles' Sports Arena. A total of 511 fans were arrested over the four nights for possession of marijuana.

At a Floyd concert? Say it isn't so!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1968 The Broadway musical 'Hair' opened at the Baltimore Theatre in New York City. The show featured the songs ‘Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In’, ‘Good Morning Starshine’ and the title song. The production ran for 1,729 performances, finally closing on July 1st, 1972.

1973 Pink Floyd's album 'Dark Side Of The Moon' went to No.1 on the US chart, it went on to enjoy a record breaking 741 weeks, selling over 20 million copies world-wide.

1982 The California State Assembly consumer-protection-committee heard testimony from "experts" who claimed that when ‘Stairway To Heaven’ was played backward, contained the words: "I sing because I live with Satan. The Lord turns me off, there's no escaping it. Here's to my sweet Satan, whose power is Satan. He will give you 666. I live for Satan."

1999 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    (Glenn Frey)

HAIR...the only Broadway Play I've attended. Great Show! But I was never motivated to go to another. Well, other than Dinner Theater Comedy.

Now that business of "Stairway To Heaven"....man, people must really love that song to be playing it backwards! And others HATE it THAT MUCH to also play it backwards! Actually, I think someone needed a "cause" to build a reputation <LOL>. I can see the Beatles doing it...that was their kind of MoJo...anything new and unique. But to record a series of phrases and then play them backwards to get the phonics and then come up with lyrics that sound something like the phrases would sound like played backwards? Come-on!

MikeA

1973 John Denver began a weekly live UK BBC 2 TV special, 'The John Denver Show'.

1976 After a gig in Memphis Bruce Springsteen took a cab to Elvis Presley's Graceland home and proceeded to climb over the wall. A guard took him to be another crank fan and apprehended him.

1981 Elton John paid £14,000 for 232 'Goon Show' scripts broadcast during the 50's at an auction held at Christies, London.

1998 Steven Tyler broke his knee at a concert in Anchorage, Alaska delaying Aerosmith's 'Nine Lives' tour and necessitating camera angle adjustments for the filming of the video for 'I Don't Want to Miss a Thing.'

2003 A $5 million lawsuit against former Creedence Clearwater Revival leader John Fogerty was dismissed after a personal-injury lawyer claimed that he suffered hearing loss in his left ear from attending a Fogerty concert. The Judge said the plaintiff assumed the risk of hearing damage when he attended the concert in 1997.
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post

2003 A $5 million lawsuit against former Creedence Clearwater Revival leader John Fogerty was dismissed after a personal-injury lawyer claimed that he suffered hearing loss in his left ear from attending a Fogerty concert. The Judge said the plaintiff assumed the risk of hearing damage when he attended the concert in 1997.
    Really Dude? If you're going to claim hearing loss from a concert, I'd suggest using a band like AC/DC, Motley Crue, Metallica, Kiss, Floyd....but CCR? I'd be embarrassed!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1967 Elvis Presley marries Priscilla Beaulieu, who he met eight and a half years earlier during his tour of duty in Germany, at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas. Their daughter, Lisa Marie Presley, is born exactly nine months later, on February 1, 1968.

1976 Led Zeppelin started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Presence', the group's fifth No.1 album.

1977 Eric Clapton's biggest-selling album of the Seventies, Slowhand, finds him recording at London's Olympic Studios for the first time since Fresh Cream, the first Cream album. Slowhand yields Top Forty hits in "Lay Down Sally" (#3) and "Wonderful Tonight" (#16), and an FM favorite and live staple in "Cocaine."

1979 Elton John became the first pop star to perform in Israel. In three weeks time he also became the first Western solo pop performer to tour Russia.

1980 the South African government banned Pink Floyd's single 'Another Brick In The Wall' after black children adopted the song as their anthem in protest against inferior education.

1987 Tom Jones appeared on UK TV Channel 4 Show 'The Last Resort' with Jonathan Ross. Jones performed a version of the Prince song 'Kiss'.

1990 'Behind the Mask', which finds Lindsey Buckingham replaced with Rick Vito and Billy Burnette, reaches #33 in the U.S. A month earlier, it entered the U.K. chart at #1.

2000 a writer who claimed Neil Young went back on an agreement to have a biography written about him filed a $1.8 million civil fraud suit against Young in Los Angeles Superior Court. Young had blocked the book's publication.

2003 American soul singer Barry White suffered a stroke while being treated for kidney failure. The singer died two months later on July 4th 2003.

2005 Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Devils & Dust’ the American singer songwriters sixth UK No.1.

2009 A Queen fan won a private two-hour guitar lesson with Brian May after bidding more than £7,500 at a charity auction in London. The auction was held in support of the Action for Brazil's Children Trust, of which May is a patron.

(Glenn Frey)

[quote=Queen]2009 A Queen fan won a private two-hour guitar lesson with Brian May after bidding more than £7,500 at a charity auction in London. The auction was held in support of the Action for Brazil's Children Trust, of which May is a patron. [/Queen]

I wonder if A Queen Fan ever became a famous guitar hero? If so, I've never heard of anyone with that name.

MikeA