Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Gathering Of The Clan - The Fred Walecki Benefit Concert

Banned

Default A Gathering Of The Clan - The Fred Walecki Benefit Concert

I just posted a link to this concert in a Randy Meisner thread, sorta off topic. I think it deserves a topic of it's own. Bernie Leadon and Glynn Johns helped to organise it, indeed Bernie's in the house band. I didn't realise there were actually two concerts. Randy opens both shows, Henley's last on before the, every body on stage finale.

Proceeds from the concert went to Fred Walecki and his family. Walecki, longtime proprietor of Westwood Music guitar shop, had recent surgery for throat cancer. He has two young children and had incurred many medical expenses not covered by insurance.
    Along with building custom instruments for many popular artists, Walecki has been a friend of the Los Angeles musicians' community for more than 30 years. Westwood Music has been a gathering place for many musicians who have gone on to have very successful careers, including those performing at the benefit.
    You can listen to and download mp3 files of both concerts at the wonderful Sugarmegs.org website. If you put Randy's name in the search box both concerts will come up in the search results.
    Randy opens the concert with Take It Easy and Take It To The Limit the first night, Already Gone and Take It To The Limit the second. Henley sings The Boys Of Summer, My Thanksgiving and Desperado. The whole show is a procession of the top LA music acts of the 70s, plus Spinal Tap who feature a special guest appearance, on 4th bass, by Timothy B Schmit.

I don't think I can post a direct link to the show but the sugarmegs link is;
    http://tela.sugarmegs.org/

I don't think Bernie is playing Take It Easy guitar solo

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: A Gathering Of The Clan - The Fred Walecki Benefit Concert

Don Henley was there too? Hmph. So there was Randy, Tim, Bernie and the Henster.

Thank you very much for the link, Mr. Funk.

Thank you for the info, Funk 50. I didn't know there were 2 concerts either. I remember in Heaven and Hell, Don F expresses disappointment and hurt that he wasn't invited to participate. Was it b/c he didn't have a real connection to Glyn Johns or was it due to his then-recent firing and Henley's objections? Or maybe they just didn't think of him.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Don Henley was there too? Hmph. So there was Randy, Tim, Bernie and the Henster.

Thank you very much for the link, Mr. Funk.
    I believe this was the incident where Randy's wife asked for a picture of Randy and Don H together, and Don turned away and walked off without a word.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Oh, I thought that was the R&R Hall of Fame? And that she wanted a photo with Henley.

This from page 313 in Heaven and Hell while discussing the benefit concert:

Bernie stayed onstage most of the night as a backup musician, but [Randy, Bernie and Don] never all played together. Randy's wife, who wanted a photograph of her husband with Don Henley, approached him with her camera and asked him if he'd mind posing. Without saying a word, Don turned on his heel and walked away.
    Apparently I was wrong when I said the concert occurred after Felder got fired. It was during all the negotiations and inquiries into the finances that preceded the firing.

Ahh OK, thanks D. Man, I got that all screwed up.

Wow, I had not heard of the incident between Henley, Randy and his wife...That's just sad. Must have been a pretty bad riff to not take a picture with someone.

I do have Felder's book, I just have not read it yet. I did just finish To The Limit though.

Stuck on the Border

Remember that Felder wasn't there and therefore his statement about Henley and Randy's wife is just gossip.

It sounds like this was a great event with Bernie and Glyn Johns attracting many great artists to play for the benefit of a man who helped many musicians through the years. It's not about Don Felder.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Remember that Felder wasn't there and therefore his statement about Henley and Randy's wife is just gossip.
    It surely came from Randy and/or Lana directly though, no? We don't know that for sure, but seeing as Randy and Felder have remained friends, it's a safe bet.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post

It sounds like this was a great event with Bernie and Glyn Johns attracting many great artists to play for the benefit of a man who helped many musicians through the years. It's not about Don Felder.
    I was under the impression that Don F and Randy were in contact during that time, and I assumed Felder heard it first-hand from Randy, although Randy probably never intended it to become public. Why do you think it's gossip?

I listened to the mp3 of some of the concert and I've enjoyed it so far. It does sound like a great event. But still I can't help but be reminded of the Randy-Don Henley incident. If it's indeed just a rumor, then I would definitely feel better about it.